2 different versions of Kodi on 1 system?

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
I was wondering if it's possible to have two different versions of Kodi installed on one system/device? I currently use 17.6 for everyday use. But I also want to have 18-beta1 installed, so that I can mess with it, and check out the retro gaming stuff.
Thanks.

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
After posting, I came across this thread from 2 years ago. I tried changing folder names, but that didn't work (I figured it wouldn't)...
I'm curious to know if creating a different user would work. However, I was hoping someone would know the answer to this, before I go ahead and try it myself...
Any other suggestions would be welcomed as well.
Thanks.

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
Hey RavRob,
I read about portable versions, and that would be great. But I'm using Android, and my understanding is that you can only do portable on Windows. If it's possible on Android, please let me know how...
I also tried changing the package name of one of the installs (so it would install to a different directory), but no app will let me save/build the apk without paying for an app. Is there a free way to change the package name?...
I also tried moving the installed app to my SD card, but it says there's not enough space (even though there is plenty).
Thanks again.

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
I was able to successfully Clone the Kodi, so that it had a different when it installed. Unfortunately, when I have both versions installed, the beta opens, but then keeps crashing. I can't think of any other way to get them to coexist.
Thanks.

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
I ran another test. I uninstalled 17.6, and only installed the Cloned version of the beta. The beta still crashed. So I guess cloning wont work, regardless if i have 17.6 installed or not. If only they had different package names, it would solve the problem.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Ah sorry to hear. I should have guessed.
So you may not be able to run 2 versions of Kodi per say but you can run Kodi, SPMC and MyGica versions at the same time. It likely won't help in what you want to do but just putting it out there.

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
Ok. I knew about SPMC, but not MyGica. Thanks again for the info...
It seems that every question I post on here, you have an answer for. I appreciate your help...
I guess I'll just have to wait for Leia to be finished, or get a second system to load Leia onto...
I know I can use RetroArch to play games, or any emulator, but I wanted to avoid all of that extra stuff (and I wanted to mess around with Leia for fun).

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
It seems that every question I post on here, you have an answer for.
I am sorry I couldn't get the correct answer for you. Maybe next time. If you want to play, you could get a FireStick for about $35. Fairly cheap for something to play with. You could get Leia on that and have fun.

Leia is going to be a great version of Kodi but as long as it is in Beta, I would stay away from it. I play with it (on my PC) and find it has more bugs at this stage than any other version before. Could be just me though.

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
I was actually thanking you for having an answer. Idc that it didn't solve my problem. I wasn't disappointed. I was just saying that you always reply, which I greatly appreciate. I might buy a firestick or a cheap box, to play with. And when I'm done with the beta, I could load 17.6 on it, and just use it in the bedroom. Thanks again for your help.