3D Question

ccmix

May 7, 2012
Does anyone know if XBMC can play 3D ISO's if not are their any plans in the future for it to support ISO playback. Thanks

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Don't know about iso's. Is it a real bluray iso file? Since these are not side by side it might not work. If it does not play the iso directly you can try and extract the iso and play the files it contains. But since you are asking this way I assume you do not have the iso file yet otherwise I guess you would just have tried. If you do please provide feed back because I have not seen anyone try this yet. I tried a 3D bluray iso a long time ago before Eden and it did not play directly. I don't know if the file was fake and didn't investigate further and since it was not a movie in my interest I ended up just deleting the 35gb iso. :/

Last edited:

ccmix

May 7, 2012
I ripped all of my blu rays to my PC and started ripping my 3d ones as well. I like to keep them as original as possible because you seem to lose quality with the side-by-side or over/under option. Xbmc will play them but not in 3d so I didn't know if their were any add ons or future plans to support it because I love the layout it gives all your movies. I tested it last night so for now I will just have to mount the iso and play with power DVD :(

Bstrdsmkr

Mar 16, 2012
I don't think there is a current plan for implementation (I think it will be eventually, just nothing mapped out), but in the meantime, if you know of a player that supports 3D, you can set it up as an external player and have xbmc play them through it

ccmix

May 7, 2012
I usually mount the ISO to a virtual drive and play through powerdvd. But if I find one how would I set that up?

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
The XBMC wiki or XBMC forums is a good place to start. Search for external player. It should be no problem to use powerdvd as an external player because I've seen posts about people doing exactly what you want on the XBMC forums.

Last edited:

plendil

May 6, 2012
Devon UK
Hi there

I dont if this helps but i can play ordinary iso though xmbc . via ripping dvd to my movies and playing through appletv.i havnt tried a 3d. but i will as i am going to get 3d tv soon.
thank you

plendil

May 6, 2012
Devon UK
Hi there
i have just gone into 3d films on putlocker and the 3d movie plays perfect dose that mean when i get my 3d tv i can view it in 3d ?? does anyone know or is this what everyone is trying to find out ,and im being dim.
thank you

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Yes side by side or SBS rips will get recognized on most 3d tvs.
Take a look in this thread where I have explained it very detailed: http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/Ic*f*lms-addon/343-3d-movies-Ic*f*lms.html

A side by side rip is not the same as a bluray (as you can image SBS cuts the horizontal resolution in 2) and if you are on a atv2 you will have to stick to rips as there is no external players you can call the atv would also have major trouble playing a bluray anyway. SBS 3D movies in the size of 8gb 1080p looks pretty ok. But again it is probably to much for the atv2 to handle.

That does not mean you can not watch 3D SBS on your atv2 though in the thread and on Ic*f*lms there is some examples of much lower resolution and bit rate 3D files you can check out and see if you can live with that.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Hi there
i have just gone into 3d films on putlocker and the 3d movie plays perfect dose that mean when i get my 3d tv i can view it in 3d ?? does anyone know or is this what everyone is trying to find out ,and im being dim.
thank you
Again if the file plays as two pictures side by side then yes you can watch it on most 3D tvs as the tv will do the magic of combining them. Just make sure you get a tv with lots of opertuneties for 3D "side by side", "up and down" and "stereo glyph", as minimum.

Last edited:

plendil

May 6, 2012
Devon UK
Hi there
thank you for all the info i will try and get my head around it all when i purchase my 3d tv . Meanwhile further to my report below. i have just downloaded a 3d film on to laptop and then [layed it via apple tv . it plays perfect although it is 2 sides a left and right . so i guess when i buy tv it should play perfect this way .
thank you

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Yes it should. :) It is very simple like you wrote if it plays as 2 images then newer 3D TV's will do the rest.

Last edited:

ccmix

May 7, 2012
Well thank you for the help and I will look into the external player part. Also with the ice films 3d comment, I signed up for an account at ice films but how do you watch a movie through their website. I saw the large selection of 3d titles and that is pretty awesome. Again thanks for all the help everyone.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I have never watched any movies through their web site but I think you need a script for the browser and their player. There is a Ic*f*lms plugin for XBMC which we are some that hope soon will support 3D. I think the problem right now is that they do not have a dedicated 3D section but when they do it should be easy to implement in the plugin. My cat finds it easier to get 3D titles through torrents than Ic*f*lms if it's not in the plugin anyway. That way my cat can download much better quality 3D movies and faster to.

Last edited:

ccmix

May 7, 2012
I am really new to a lot of this and would love to watch more 3d content and seeing the large selection on ice films is great can some give me a noob walkthrough as far as watching it with a script "not 100% sure what that even means lol." my cat will usually get them through torrents as well but they are to large to get a lot of them at one time. Althought they are greater quality. Thanks again guys and keep up all of the good work.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
First of all you need a pc and the script then you need to surf/watch it through a browser. Thats why my cat proposed downloading torrents instead. Then you can stream it to atv2 or watch it in XBMC on pc. Download utorrent visit isohunt and search for SBS.

Last edited:

Bstrdsmkr

Mar 16, 2012
The website is pretty painless. Install the extension (link on the front page), restart your browser. Next tune you click through to a supported site, there will be an extra section at the top with the video embedded.

ccmix

May 7, 2012
I am using my PC connected to my tv through hdmi. Maybe I will just let my cat keep getting torrents. I will look for the link next time. Do you recommend firefox or ie.