5.1 Sound

youngmb0

Feb 1, 2013
I have tried every setting possible, I think, and still only receive stereo sound. i stream 1080 video but still only get stereo sound. I am hdmi hooked to a pioneer elite receiver that decodes all formats . My android box is set for hdmi pass through. why can't I get dolby sound.
I t seems silly to watch KOdi if I have to settle for stereo.

Please help!

Smartie38

May 13, 2015
Lack of 5.1 sound is why I signed up with premiumzme, now I have plenty of fast sources that have 5.1 dd sound.

Real debrid is cheaper but it doesn't work with a vpn and I always use one with kodi.

youngmb0

Feb 1, 2013
Thanks for the responses., but are the sites you mentioned within Kodi ? I know N*vi X is but i can't find or get 5.1 sound with any sources I stream with N*vi X

jclamster

Apr 25, 2015
#youngmb0 if you're still trying, make sure your KODI settings are right:

First change your settings level to Expert. System, system, settings level, select Expert.

Then:
System, system, audio output, audio output device. Like you I have a Pioneer Elite receiver, (the SC-57) and 1 of the choices I see is: WASAPI:HDMI-1-SC-57 (AMD High Definition Audio Device). Look for the one that matches your receiver and choose it. Then...
Number of channels: 5.1
Output configuration: Optimized
Stereo upmix: leave blank
Maintain original volume on downmix: leave blank
Resample quality: medium
Keep audio device alive: 1 minute
Play GUI sounds: Only when playback stopped
Enable passthrough: enable this...this is a key thing to do
Passthrough output device: this will automatically be selected as the device you picked up above
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver: enable this
Dolby Digital plus (E-AC3) capable receiver: only enable this if your receiver has it. mine doesn't so not enabled
DTS capable receiver: same thing, enable if you have it. I do.
TrueHD capable receiver: same thing, enable if you have it. I do.
DTS-HD capable receiver: same thing, enable if you have it. I do.
Reset above settings to default: please don't do that!
That's it. back on out. I suggest powering down KODI and then power back up. Dunno if that's necessary, but I do it whenever I make major changes.

I tested this set up with a ripped blu-ray from my HTPC library that is accessible in KODI and I get full 5.1 sound for AC3, DTS, True-HD and DTS-HD.

Finding streams with 5.1 is not as easy as mentioned above. But go to Na*i-X, Na*i-X start here, most viewed last 7 days, and the 5th one down is "1080p/720p DD5.1" stuff.

Try that and see if it works...good luck!

Last edited:

tuco11

Sep 24, 2015
I thought I read that KODI doesnt pass through DD plus or DTS HD until the next release after Jarvis?

jclamster

Apr 25, 2015
Dunno where you read that, but I'm running 15.2 Isengard on my HTPC and when playing all of my ripped blu-rays through KODI, DD TrueHD and DTS Master Audio are indeed passed through via the setup I described above. When playing, my receiver flashes what its processing so I know what's coming through. And my ears tell me too.

jclamster

Apr 25, 2015
Perhaps it's Android issue. Mine works in Windows 7 and 10 HTPC and my avr is pioneer elite sc-57.

tuco11

Sep 24, 2015
Have you tried Dolby Digital Plus or DTS HD? Those are the newer formats that KODI doesnt pass through yet on Android boxes.