A little help on backups

silvanet

Jan 31, 2015
I have addons and settings as I like on my PC running latest Kodi 17.6 stable.
I want to transfer that setup (essentially) to an old Android TV box, but it has Kitkat 4.4.2 and is running Jarvis 16.1. I'm happy with it running that way. I'm also using Confluence skin on both the PC and in the old Android box. I tried doing a backup and then restoring it in the Android box. I know that some addons won't run. I just planned on uninstalling them in the box. The problem is that when I do the restore on the box, the Confluence menus are all screwed up and many not visible (because they were the Confluence menus under the 17.6 installation on the PC). Does anyone know if I can copy the data in the data folders or the userdata (or whatever the files holding the menu items on the Confluence skin in a Jarvis installation and somehow keep most of the backed up addons that I'm trying to transfer over from the PC install under Krypton)?

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Once you have it restored on your Android box, you should be able to simply change your skin to one that is compatible with Jarvis. Perform your backup and put it away for safeguard. Then revert to Estuary skin on your pc and perform a backup that you will restore on your Android. Being that Android is not compatible with Jarvis, you should end up with the default Confluence skin and it should work.
Then restore your original backup that you had put away for safeguard back to your PC and it should be back to its original configuration.

silvanet

Jan 31, 2015
Sorry, that didn't work. Can't change skin to any at all, because the menu item for interfaces is absent and clicking on it does nothing. I could to a complete factory re-set, but that means my entire configuration settings back to zero.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Save yourself a lot of trouble and see if there is a Linux ROM of Kodi 17.x that can be flashed or booted to that device... https://libreelec.tv

Short of that rebuild on Kodi 16 or simply invest in new hardware, as what you are trying to do will almost always result in a broken or ill configured build on the Kodi 16 box that is going to likely require more time to fix then it will take to build from scratch...