ac adapter 1amp or 1.5amp???

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I agree with above post that said home depot sells a 2.1 amp Trans for like 9 or 10 bucks and they work really good, I've used them on many androids.
2 amp is a minimum standard forget about 1 amp it's not enough, and 1.5 is very hard to find.

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
i had an OUYA that ran fine on 1 amp
you can get a plug just about anywhere. I think they sell them for external hard drives that fit just fine.

Let me know if you cannot find one cuz i have 4 or 5 just hanging around!!

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
the stock ouya adapter is actually rated at 1.5 amp, I just looked at mine.

It may run fine at 1 amp but if the stock value is 1.5 then that's what I would recommend.

All this a moot point though, because a standard value for generic transformers available easily in local stores are 2 or 2.1 amp such as the ones available at home depot. You can buy a 1.5 amp one but they would be much harder to find than a 2 or 2.1 amp and you most likely would have to go on the internet and wait for shipping. Also most androids run on a 2 amp now so you could have a chance at using it on a future android as well if you were to buy a 2 amp model. That was the basis for my recommendation.

I do this sort of thing for a living.

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
the stock ouya adapter is actually rated at 1.5 amp, I just looked at mine.

It may run fine at 1 amp but if the stock value is 1.5 then that's what I would recommend.

All this a moot point though, because a standard value for generic transformers available easily in local stores are 2 or 2.1 amp such as the ones available at home depot. You can buy a 1.5 amp one but they would be much harder to find than a 2 or 2.1 amp and you most likely would have to go on the internet and wait for shipping. Also most androids run on a 2 amp now so you could have a chance at using it on a future android as well if you were to buy a 2 amp model. That was the basis for my recommendation.

I do this sort of thing for a living.
Just look up the power supply for an external hard drive. Glad I could help

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
You have it backwards.

Better to use 2 amps than 1. Under powering leads to more heat (ohm's law), overpowering does not. Just like a car battery, more is better, less than recommended is no good at all.

When amperage goes up, voltage goes down, when amperage goes down, voltage goes up, that's how electricity works bro. You don't want amperage to be so low that voltage spikes up past the point of what the electronics can take.

Too many volts are a problem, too many amps is just the force behind the voltage, you want that, not the other way around. It's basic ohm's law.

Many androids from China come with undersized power supplies, the first thing the experts at freaktab tell you to do is throw away the ones that come with the unit and buy a 2 amp minimum power supply, this is no secret.

They did several studies on which brand power supplies give better results and the home Depot ones were proven to be far superior, very stable and good strong power. Believe me I did my homework on this subject.

Last edited:

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
Wrong

I had a (forgot brand) box and put a 2 amp supply to a (working) box that had KODI (sorry, xvmc) and it fried

Home deepcrap sells power supplies for tools like drills and home owner crap like chargers for mommas tools

Once again to the OP
don't use a 2 amp or you will be buying a new unit

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
Nothing at all wrong with home depot or the power supplies that home depot sells.

Certainly not going to argue about it with some kid who thinks he knows it all.
Listen dude, i don't expect you to argue because the products links that I posted are just that - PRODUCT LINKS to OUYA not some power supply to a 12 dollar mothers tool.
You can't back any of those statements about anything but i have PROVEN what power supply that OUYA recommends for an OUYA product. Go get your (money saving brand) parts from the awl-mart or home deeps hit while i buy the FACTORY RECOMMENDED
#put a bullet in it

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
YOU said "
They did several studies on which brand power supplies give better results and the home Depot ones were proven to be far superior, very stable and good strong power. Believe me I did my homework on this subject."

PROVE it because every study ever done is documented!!!

Have a good day, KNOWLEDGE is key :cool:

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
PS: i would never run a 2 amp when they call for 1.5 cuz you could burn the unit out (i promise that)
I know this is old, but lets set the record straight for anyone that might come across it, I'm an Electronics Engineer by trade this is literally what I do for a living...

A higher Amp power supply won't harm the device, the device will only draw the Amps it needs in this instance, end of story...

When replacing power adapters on devices like this, make sure they are the respective AC or DC as well as plug polarity, a regulated one is almost always recommended over unregulated unless you know what you are are doing (almost all replacement adapters are regulated) and if you can't match the Amp output of the original always go higher never lower...