Addons Listing Streams They Don't Have

theportoman

Mar 24, 2015
Much as I like Genesis, why does it have titles that they have no streams for? It's quite annoying - just list the streams that exist!

tknorris

Feb 18, 2014
Much as I like Genesis, why does it have titles that they have no streams for? It's quite annoying - just list the streams that exist!
I find it adorable (in an annoying way) when users post stuff like this. Granted, you probably have no idea what it takes to develop an addon, but a moment of logic would tell you this is a bad idea.

Genesis, like several other addons, aggregates sources from as many as 50 different sites. So, in order to "only show titles that have streams" every title in a directory would have to be checked against those 50 different sites to determine if at least one source exists for it on one of those 50 sites. Each single one of those checks takes time, sometimes as long as 15 seconds, cpu resources, and network resources. So, in a list of 50 titles, checked against 50 sites for sources, the worst case estimate is showing that directory would take 10 minutes, and in best case would take almost a minute. On top of that, literally 98% of that time would be wasted because you can't watch 50 different titles at once, so at least 49 of those checks are a waste of time.

Of course, this is also ignoring the fact that while your install of the addon is checking for sources for every title in every directory, so are the other 2+ million people that have the addon installed. So, now we have 50 titles * 50 sources * 2M installs all storming web sites continuously, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It wouldn't take very long for the website operators that host the videos to get fed up with all that useless traffic that costs them money and just block the addon entirely. Then your whole problem would be solved because the addon wouldn't work at all anymore.

The point here is there are a lot of factors that you, as just a user, probably don't understand. So, unless you are willing to contribute your time and skill to making things better, complaining posts like this one are probably not your best choice.

theportoman

Mar 24, 2015
Okay, so then it isn't Genesis' "fault" (sorry G!), but those of the addons it mines. What is the point of posting a film thumbnail for something that doesn't exist? To make the addon seem better than it is?

tknorris

Feb 18, 2014
Okay, so then it isn't Genesis' "fault" (sorry G!), but those of the addons it mines. What is the point of posting a film thumbnail for something that doesn't exist? To make the addon seem better than it is?
If that's what you got from my first response the further responses aren't going make you understand any better.

bracky1

Aug 15, 2013
Scotland
Genesis uses (I believe) IMDB for it's information. When you run a search for a movie or TV series, if it's on IMDB, Genesis will find it and bring up the information, artwork etc. If you then click on and episode or movie, it will search through all the hosts that it uses and bring up the links it finds. Sometimes however there are no links in any of the host sites and you get a "no sources" notification.

You can try different addons that use different sources but Genesis is the best I've found for 99.9% of things I've looked for.
Vidics and Pri**wire occasionally find links that Genesis hasn't got for older content.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Just the sort of clueless, ungrateful 'consumer' that this community could do without.

theportoman

Mar 24, 2015
Actually a consumer who is trying to find answers, because that's how many people use forums.
Which is difficult when you are met with stereotypical techno geek snobbery.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
It's not snobbery at all, just a response to your disrespectful comments when people try to explain things to you. Comments like "What is the point of posting a film thumbnail for something that doesn't exist? To make the addon seem better than it is?".

It's already been explained to you that the listings are scraped from TVDB, which lists pretty much everything that's ever aired. Obviously not all the sources will have every movie or tv show ever made, hence you get No Sources for some content. If you don't understand this then say so, instead you start posting smart comments which just aggravates people.

Last edited:

sunnyhero

Dec 27, 2013
It's not snobbery at all, just a response to your disrespectful comments when people try to explain things to you. Comments like "What is the point of posting a film thumbnail for something that doesn't exist? To make the addon seem better than it is?".

It's already been explained to you that the listings are scraped from TVDB, which lists pretty much everything that's ever aired. Obviously not all the sources will have every movie or tv show ever made, hence you get No Sources for some content. If you don't understand this then say so, instead you start posting smart comments which just aggravates people.[/QUOTE

Well said and explained FXB78, Lets hope people like him respect these all coders who are helping all us without any reward.

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
Ok lets keep this civil everyone.
@theportoman, tknorris and others have explained most of it to you.
With Navi things are different. The lists in Navi are made by users. Not the addon. Links fail all the time due to changes made by the source websites (urlresolver might need updating), overloaded source servers, ect... There can be many reasons why a link fails.
People put in a lot of time to keep their lists updated due to these changes and to add new links to their lists. The same goes for the addons. The devs and listers do this in their spare time, as a hobby, and not a career. Please be respectful of that when phrasing and posting questions
There arent addons that have 0 content that I have found. Genesis doesnt even come close to that description. neither does Navi for that matter. It might seem that way if you keep trying the broken links(sources). As for the other one you tried to mention, give this a read. As you will see those types have nothing to do with TVADDONS

Dr Peter OBoogie

Jun 24, 2013
If your in the UK without a vpn then your choice is shortened for sure. I have gone to watch a movie many times and found no stream available but switch the vpn on and the movie plays very quickly (on autoplay).

theportoman

Mar 24, 2015
TBH, my comments moved off my initial question some time ago (few saw that but no matter) . There are some great add ons out there obviously ; however, there are many with no content of any kind. I was just wondering why ( in progress, forgotten about?). There it is!

tknorris

Feb 18, 2014
TBH, my comments moved off my initial question some time ago (few saw that but no matter) . There are some great add ons out there obviously ; however, there are many with no content of any kind. I was just wondering why ( in progress, forgotten about?). There it is!
Which addons are you referring to?

1Jester

Dec 18, 2014
then i suggest you delete these addons, no more addons that have no content, problem solved and you can stick to both genesis and SA*TS, if they cant find what you are looking for then perhaps kmediatorrent can, thats about all you need for nearly everything you could ever want, of course some people are never satisfied with what they have and thats when we get to posts like this, that think an addon must include every movie or tv show ever produced to be classed as a great addon...

Creepin' it Real

Apr 14, 2015
Genesis uses (I believe) IMDB for it's information. When you run a search for a movie or TV series, if it's on IMDB, Genesis will find it and bring up the information, artwork etc. If you then click on and episode or movie, it will search through all the hosts that it uses and bring up the links it finds. Sometimes however there are no links in any of the host sites and you get a "no sources" notification.

You can try different addons that use different sources but Genesis is the best I've found for 99.9% of things I've looked for.
Vidics and Pri**wire occasionally find links that Genesis hasn't got for older content.
A non-tech answer without the arrogance. Much appreciated.

thompa

Jun 11, 2014
Although I appreciate the answer as to why addons show movies that they have no links for, I think that this misses the point!

I would rather an app took longer to produce an accurate portrayal of what is available than provide misleading information that might take a long time for me to sift through. I could do something else while the app completed its search and I would become frustrated, like many others, by searching for links that were not there. Software is supposed to make things easier and reduce frustration. I am not minimising or belittling the work of developers, to whom we are all grateful, but I know several people that have given up using Kodi/XBMC because they became so frustrated with it not doing what it promised.