Request Android Box Recommendation for my Neighbor

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
I have 2 RPI 2 and love them. Tried to get my neighbor to get one, but he would prefer an Android box that is plug and play and one that has Netflix on it. So I said I would ask for recommendations here, to see what you guys prefer.

1) Must Be able to update Kodi
2) Wants to be able to add an external drive.
3) Must have Netflix
4) Must be able to add a keyboard/or remote.

Just post the box suggestions and why you like it. I'll show him the results when done. I see many boxes out there but they range so much in price, so I guess the cheap Chinese boxes are best to stay away from. Someone told him about a Wetek, I know nothing about it.

Thanks all in advance. :cool:

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
OK, let's try this.

How about these 2 devices 1) M8, and or 2) Zoomtak Plus, one is definitely more expensive over the other.

Pa247

Apr 6, 2015
I've nevre heard of either of those. I currently have 3 firetvs and am very happy with them. One of the reasons is that they are very simple to set up, have a smooth, uncomplicated remote and you can add Netflix, Hulu, HBO go or any other app with pretty much the click of a button.

You can also use a Bluetooth keyboard, add game controllers, etc. there is a USB port for adding thumb drives.... Not to sure about adding a hard drive. But on one of my setups I have a, I believe, 156gb usb drive.

Last edited:

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
I've nevre heard of either of those. I currently have 3 firetvs and am very happy with them. One of the reasons is that they are very simple to set up, have a smooth, uncomplicated remote and you can add Netflix, Hulu, HBO go or any other app with pretty much the click of a button.

You can also use a Bluetooth keyboard, add game controllers, etc. there is a USB port for adding thumb drives.... Not to sure about adding a hard drive. But on one of my setups I have a, I believe, 156gb usb drive.
Does it need to be Jailbroken like the Fire stick ?? or is that different.

Smartie38

May 13, 2015
I'd recommend the mxiii-g box, best android box I've had, there's also lollipop firmware for it which kodi works great with so no need to use hacks to get hardware acceleration working properly etc. I've also got a 4tb hdd connected to it with no problems and use a logitech k400 wireless keyboard with touchpad.

DJB

Nov 2, 2014

Smartie38

May 13, 2015

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Last edited:

Thomas_AR

Sep 27, 2015
Hi folks, want to step in as I have to make a similar decision. I am also thinking buying a mxiii or a Asus chromebox. Any thoughts?
By the way can they be remote controlled via a Android tablet, especially the kodi on those boxes?

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Not quite, the mxiii-g has a gigabit ethernet port, it's also based on the amlogic s812 chipset, the one in your link is the older s802 chipset & the ethernet port is only 10/100 and not gigabit.

This is the mxiii-g
MXIII-G MX3-G 4K KODI (XBMC) Android 5.1 Smart TV Box Quad Core+Free KEYBOARD
OK, after much discussion with him and I he has decided to give the Chinese product a go. He hopes they ship, and doesn't get caught at customs, LOL

He also decide to go with the 2 Gigs Ram rather then the 1 Gig, not sure it'll make much of a difference, but it's only about $14 more.

MXIII G MX3 XBMC Kodi Quad Core 4K Android 5 1 Lollipop Smart TV Box 2G 8g | eBay

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Well well well, things have changed again. He went to Best Buy and bought a Nvidia Shield, He will test that out and see, a little more expensive, but he didn't want to order from China and figured if he didn't like this, he could take it right back and continue on his search, LOL

I'll report back and let you all know how he likes it.

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Set up the whole box for him, WiFi doesn't work great, hardwired is much better, many of the Play apps are not coming up. So as of now he is not impressed. He came over and looked at my PI 2 again, now he likes my PI 2 simple quick and easy, once all set up, LOL

Now he's wants a PI 2, LOL I told the PI 2 doesn't have the Play store and no Netflix, so he is thinking. I'll keep you all posted.

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
If you're looking for a cheap reliable Android box M8 4K easy to operate and there's plenty of stuff on it i have one myself as well as a ATV1+2
Which version do you have, 4.4 or 5.1 also how many Rams do you have 2 G ? Do you have a link to the one you have ??

bromerzz

Nov 9, 2012
Cyprus
Drop the Android boxes in your dustbin and get Raspberry Pi version 2. They are so easy to keep up to date with Openelec and well supported by the various communities.

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Drop the Android boxes in your dustbin and get Raspberry Pi version 2. They are so easy to keep up to date with Openelec and well supported by the various communities.
I agree and I have 2 of them, but he wants Netflix, so this is his quandary. But he is warming up to an RPI 2.

dakok

Nov 6, 2015
MXIII-G should be fine, you have several forums with support and it has OpenElec 6.0 release
You can use firmware from other similar boxes, eg Tronsmart MXIII Plus.
1GB/8GB version is $47 now :)

Thomas_AR

Sep 27, 2015
Just bought myself a Asus Chromebox, put OpenELEC on it and it runs like hell :) Happy user here.