Request Android Box Recommendation for my Neighbor

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Just bought myself a Asus Chromebox, put OpenELEC on it and it runs like hell :) Happy user here.
Did you have to root it, or were you able to load OE right from the get go, and why not simply install the APK for Kodi, would that not just do the same ??

Thomas_AR

Sep 27, 2015
Did you have to root it, or were you able to load OE right from the get go, and why not simply install the APK for Kodi, would that not just do the same ??
You have to disable the wright protection (removing a screw inside the box) and put the box in developer mode. Of course you can just install Kodi for Android. I do not need the android system, i bought it for only running Kodi. Also the startup time of Kodi with Elecon is 1 second and not 45 or so with Android.

There is a detailed tutorial on the Kodi Forum and Wiky :)

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
You have to disable the wright protection (removing a screw inside the box) and put the box in developer mode. Of course you can just install Kodi for Android. I do not need the android system, i bought it for only running Kodi. Also the startup time of Kodi with Elecon is 1 second and not 45 or so with Android.

There is a detailed tutorial on the Kodi Forum and Wiky :)
Kool, I'll have to check that out, for now my neighbor decided to go with the RPI 2

Might be something I may want to test out down the road, if I can get the Chromebox at a decent price, cheers.

Thomas_AR

Sep 27, 2015
Kool, I'll have to check that out, for now my neighbor decided to go with the RPI 2

Might be something I may want to test out down the road, if I can get the Chromebox at a decent price, cheers.
I have the Asus chromebox with Celeron and 4 Ram, running like hell and playes everything i through on it.
For a little more money buy the i3 or i7 model (i think that is the model number), has more power.

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Well my buddy got the RPI 2 and I set it up over the weekend and he is a happy camper, he wished he had Netflix, but he is still happy.

During this process I got a lot of feedback and in the interim, I may myself may get an Asus Chromebox down the road to play with, if I can find one at a decent price.

Thanks for all the replies, cheers.

Pa247

Apr 6, 2015
G
Well my buddy got the RPI 2 and I set it up over the weekend and he is a happy camper, he wished he had Netflix, but he is still happy.

During this process I got a lot of feedback and in the interim, I may myself may get an Asus Chromebox down the road to play with, if I can find one at a decent price.

Thanks for all the replies, cheers.
Most anything he wants to watch on Netflix can be found through one of the ADDONS.

zemelya

Aug 6, 2015
Hey Smartie38,
that box has 1 GB RAM, is it enough to have good streaming without much buffering?

zemelya

Aug 6, 2015
Well,
what kind of WIFI he's got? I got 3 boxes and they work great on WIFI 15 MBPS download. Of course, Ethernet is better but all that has nothing to do with NVidia