Android box with 5TB Seagate Expansion Drive - Cannot download anything

BASSACKWARDS

Nov 11, 2016
Hi.
I'm new here but not really new to Kodi or Android.
I've been running an android box for about a year and have been using multiple USB sticks that I have sorted into genres.
So.. I decided to stop playing musical drives & I bought a 5tb Seagate Expansion drive.
I changed my paths in Kodi, (Ex**us) I can see & play all the stuff I transferred from my multiple USB sticks... but I can't download anything to the new drive.
I checked my paths again & noticed that there is an extra entry in the path.
The real path should be: storage/udisk0/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/movies.
The path showing is: storage/udisk0/part1/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/movies.
I have no idea why part1 is there. When I plug the drive back into my pc - part1 is NOT part of the path.

If anyone could shed a little light on this subject, I would certainly appreciate it.
The drive is formatted NTFS and is USB3. I don't know if that's a factor or not.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Thanx for your time.

~Bass

*PS: I searched & followed a link and just posted this in the android forum & then noticed it was a dead forum. sorry mods.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Forgetting about downloading for a minute, can you see if you can COPY a file onto the HDD from within Android (to check whether you have the correct write permissions set or not.)

BASSACKWARDS

Nov 11, 2016
Forgetting about downloading for a minute, can you see if you can COPY a file onto the HDD from within Android (to check whether you have the correct write permissions set or not.)
Thank you, Stoofer.
Copy works fine. I can copy to and from the drive using the same screwy path that doesn't exist.
Windows shows it as a regular hard drive: L/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/movies.
Android shows it as: storage/udisk0/part1/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/movies.
All of my USB sticks have always used: storage/udisk0/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/movies.
I just have no idea what this 'part1' is or why its magically appeared in my path to ruin my downloads.
As I said earlier, I can watch the stuff that's already on the drive. I just can't download to it because of the goofy path.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
I have exactly the same 'part'1 setup on my 3TB drive, never really questioned it before just accepted that's how Android deals with large multi-TB drives. I usually send all downloads to a different 1TB drive, pull that out and put it on my PC to do all the meta-scraping and cataloguing and then copy everything across to the 3TB when I'm done. I don't download directly to the 3TB but I just tried it with Ex**us and Dreamcatcher and they worked perfectly with it. The path in my Ex**us to the 3TB is "/storage/udisk1/part1/" so it's pretty much the same setup that you have, you could try truncating your directory structure to that to see if it doesn't like the "org.xbmc.kodi/files/movies" part of things somehow.

Does it download if you send it to a smaller drive or USB stick instead (or even an SD card)? Since you can copy files OK you can always move it across via File Manager later on.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Could you simply edit your path to add part 1 in the path for your download? Sorry, I don't download with Kodi, I don't have and Android anymore and I don't use HDDs anymore either. So this is just thoughts going through my head.

BASSACKWARDS

Nov 11, 2016
Well.. I solved it the hard way.
I formatted the drive & plugged it back in.
It gave itself a whole new path through storage/emulated.
I changed the path in Ex**us & it seems to be working.
It still created the 'part1/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files' though.
Weird.. but at least it works now.

Thanx for your input folks.
I appreciate it.

~Bass

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
The extra 'partX' in the path is how Android is dealing with the fact the drive is over the 2.2TB size available in the legacy MBR format vs the newer GPT format... The OS (in this case Android) breaks the big drive into smaller virtual 'partitions' using the 'partX' designation, so it knows what virtual partition on the drive is being referenced in the path...

I don't have any real hands one experience with that large of drive on Android to build upon so I don't know all the fine details...

But the short and sweet gist of it is that Android is creating virtual partitions of your 5TB drive and injecting the 'partX' notation into the path so it can properly reference those virtual partitions and the entire 5TB size...

Last edited:

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Well.. I solved it the hard way.
I formatted the drive & plugged it back in.
It gave itself a whole new path through storage/emulated.

~Bass
Are you sure you are downloading to your external drive and not to your boxes internal storage? I may be mistaken or misinformed but I was under the impression that emulated storage is your boxes internal storage. I ran into write permission issues a few months ago with my Android device and this is what I had to do to write to external drives. https://forums.tvaddons.co/getting-started-with-kodi/49831-download-external-storage-android.html