Any good?

slacky

Aug 17, 2012
Are the 1st gen any good at running xbmc as I've got chance to get hold of them or would you say stick to 2nd gen ?

Banu

Jan 19, 2013
Yes, they are very good. This is my main machine. Upgraded the hd to 1tb and Broadcom card too. I love it.

slacky

Aug 17, 2012
Keep telling everyone the m1 is better but no one listened
I didn't have a choice to be honest, mines running Linux seems to restart alot struggle with buffering and basically just crap but every ones else's seems ok

slacky

Aug 17, 2012
I think I've got a dodgy box to be honest, or might it have something to do with it being a clone?

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
What build do you have? I can't say much regarding "the clone" I don't ink it is a clone. They are all the same hardware, and components, made by the same Chinese manufacturer. PIVOS is just a branded version, as are many of the others... Again, my opinion.

I think it has to do with the builds... Cause mine running the official Linux from PIVOS works just fine.

Last edited:

slacky

Aug 17, 2012
I put the last 2 nighties on and the controls went dead slow put the official back on and it's better but still suffers from random reboots

Rhothgar

Aug 29, 2012
Yes, they are very good. This is my main machine. Upgraded the hd to 1tb and Broadcom card too. I love it.
Share your setup experience. Are you running ATVFlash or Crystalbuntu?

ATV1 are a nightmare to set up with CB in my experience (which is limited), support for setting it up is very limited and if you are no good at researching things, forget it!

If you are good at researching things and picking throw threads, allow at least a week or two to get one running and loss of hair through stress.

There is limited information out there. Just look at some of my posts here and they have received limited or no response!

I am going to be picking it back up soon and working through again. I managed to get video and audio working through grit and determination then when I saw I had to enter wireless config manually (as I have not yet removed my wireless card) that is when I gave up for a while - to relieve stress!

There is limited information available on config files and how to get HDMI working. Mine would not run video on HDMI (even though I was on 3.0.2 and RGB High before upgrade and couldn't get any support anywhere and I am supposed to know what I am doing!

This stuff is easy to some people yet sometimes difficult for those with some technical knowledge. It's what you know that counts.

If you like Linux have a go with Crystalbuntu.

I know umOuch runs openelec from memory and I started installing that the other day and gave up and I DO NOT GIVE UP EASILY!

LiquidMercury

May 17, 2012
Kansas
I havent had any issues at all with crystalbuntu, the install was a breeze and everything just flat worked, granted to take full advantage I installed a broadcom 12 chip and removed wifi that was pretty straight forward as well. Now I am just patiently awating the release of CB2....just posted a question about progress over there, hopefully I wont get my head bitten off and will have a progress report to give here soon.

May 6, 2012
I just install bcm70012 very easy to do. I have firecore 4.5 on it and it even had the drivers for the boradcomm card. I'm still on IOS and it played a 1080P movie. I can save to the internal hard drive use a mouse and keyboard. In the end it is all a matter of opinion. I sold my Pivos M3 and the chick I sold it to had nothing but problems running linux or android. I finally found something that solved it for her. I put factory firmare and then setup android xbmc but I used a micro SD card and NEVER took it out and she says it is still running good. When I removed it that thing crashed all the time. Maybe it runs out of storage space even though it shouldn't.

crusader88

Apr 19, 2013
Are the 1st gen any good at running xbmc as I've got chance to get hold of them or would you say stick to 2nd gen ?
ATV 1's are just the same as ATV 2 in media. ATV 2 has a different design and a different processor (A4) and a different operating system (IOS). You can view anything on the ATV 1 if you install crystalbuntu and the broadcam chip you can get 1080p and thats better then what the ATV 2 has to offer. I use crystalbuntu and its great but if your going to downgrade back to the original you need to be careful.