Anyone have an Ouya as well?

Invincibleinc

Sep 12, 2013
Toronto, ON
I'm asking here and not in the Ouya forum as I want opinions from fellow RPiers.

We're moving to a much bigger place and I want to set up a second tv/xbmc rig in the upstairs. I'm trying to decide whether to get another Pi, or an Ouya. The Ouya is attractive because baby mama likes all those retro games which I could rig up for her as well. Just wondering if anyone has any experience using its XBMC platform and any insights.

Thanks y'all.

Chris990

Nov 17, 2013
I came on here for advice on what to buy and was recomended the ouya,it's great streams brilliant couldn't be happier with my choice 😃 buy one

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
I utilized the Rpi for a few months early in its release cycle (first model) and enjoyed them, but found occasional issues. I Backed the OUYA and received one from the Kick-starter Campaign. Since then, I have purchased 1 more and love the machine. That said, I haven't played with the updated hardware releases that have come from the Rpi people. I will say that the OUYA is the first time I have not felt I needed to continue my hunt for XBMC hardware. With the OUYA, my hunt was over.

Kjxn

May 11, 2012
I have both and both run well with the way I have them setup, however, if I wasn't running my pi's with a usb3 stick, I would say Ouya, but... My pi's run pretty darn good too! The key, IMHO, is ensuring you have a good remote for the Ouya (if that's what you choose). And if you choose the pi, no other way but a usb3 stick and moderate to high overclocking. There are plenty of discussions on the forum that debate both. May I suggest you search the forum for further info.

jasonhappy

Nov 23, 2013
Used to have a number of R pi`s, but then tried the Ouya, Now I have 3, Played everything I throw at it.

offroad

Oct 16, 2013
Did have a OUYA but sold it and bought a Raspberry Pi. Why? Because the network connection on OUYA was so damn random. And many have complained about that. The Ethernet network connection is random and so is wifi. Try setting up XBMC the way you like and having the network connection go down. The only way to get it back was factory restore. Which completely removes XBMC.

Will wait six months to see if the OUYA gets a more stable network connection. The manufacturer needs to get this fixed more reliable.

Also there is little clear discussion from OUYA about a TV remote. It would take a limited effort to just mention some remote is compatible as alternative to the large game focused remote that comes with the machine.

Last edited:

Kizzer31

Sep 3, 2013
in the words of bruce wills yippe ouyaaa mother f****r lol

love the ouya i would say invest in one now

pfj

Oct 31, 2012
Norn Irn
I own both ouya and pi. The ouya is (IMO) far better. But only because it does everything ie emulators, games, apps and runs xbmc without any problems. The Pi is a bit slower obviously (openelec standard SD install) but has never let me down and i will always keep for backup.

hooley

Aug 8, 2012
Galway Ireland
I have both and ouya is on main tv where it's staying. I wish it gave trouble so I could justify getting a htpc but it doesn't give trouble . I use home plugs with it though as I found wi fi not great.

jasonhappy

Nov 23, 2013
I had both and an atv2, all but 1 of my pi has been replaced, the atv2 I cashed in and made a nice profit and brought another ouya

christophert21

Jan 29, 2013
have both. thought the rpi was a slow while running on sd card.
changed to a usb3 stick and was a big improvement, though still a little slow

bought an ouya and it blew me away by how much quicker it was.

since then, i've installed an rbej tweaked build on the rpi and whoah its nearly as quick as the ouya! i also prefer how the rpi displays the video. can't explain it, but i just get a better picture out of it, and i can't seem to find the settings i need in the ouya to alter to get the same

so the ouya hasn't been switched on in weeks, yet the rpi is on for many hrs every day

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Have both IMHO XBMC on RPi is (with backed up facts) the best video player around. There are so much missing for a audio/video phile in the Ouya version, even the picture itself is as noticed above decoded better on RPi than with nvidia.

The Ouya as a whole is a very fun device though. Things are starting to move as a console (I believe its sold as a console to heh) part has taken off well and you can emulate android game controllers to get those popular android games side loaded (since there no touch screen)

Also don't forget again Ouya said its first proper version of XBMC would be Gotham. So lets see it they can fix their terrible mistakes. No need to write up the list of lacking features for your expensive flat screen and audio system in the XBMC part.

I check up on the monthly alphas they are coming closer but some major issues needs to be modified in android, and some licenses need to be bought for tegra3, and someone needs to load libcec now they claim its connected to the chip.

Still find the Ouya tremendously fun but for XBMC right now I switch to the RPi. With the state things are in and all the different possibilities with these devices (RPi emulates old school good aswell but not so easy to setup and no so fast) IMHO comparing these 2 devices are like APPLES to ORANGES.

Don't buy Ouya with only XBMC in mind (especially if you are a audio/video freak), remember they call it a console themself and the only XBMC version they have put their name to yet is a unsupported nonofficial backported Frodo and not exactly something they put on shelf 1 - item 1 in the discover store.

Looking forward to Gotham beta/rc stage..
But I must say in the meantime I had absolutely no lack of other fun stuff to do with it!

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P OUYA 13
P OUYA 3
B OUYA 4