Anyone tried nexus player yet?

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Reviews weren't so much bad as they were...disappointing, I guess?
I'm just curious to hear if anyone on this site actually tried one? The general feeling elsewhere kind of makes it feel like a wip for the next gen. But that might make the price drop so I'm curious as to how itb runs xbmc compared to its competition?

Arogantis

Apr 7, 2013
I've had varioius xbmc/kodi boxes (pi, ouya, m8, aftv) and the google nexus player is by far my favourite. Comparable in performance to my firetv box and havent had any wifi problems (router located on a different floor). Considering it has 1gb less memory than the firetv i cant notice any difference in UI performance or loading speed having a multitude of addons installed and having tried various skins (conf, eminence, aeon nox).

the remote is of lesser quality then the firetv one but better than the generic plastic crap that comes with the ebay android boxes and while it has far less buttons it has enough for all the options i need. No faffing about using spoofing apps to get it on the homescreen like the firetv and no constant worrying about wether amazon will stop sideloaded apps in their next update.

Wife acceptance factor is also very high. She finds the UI far more easy to navigate than the ftv and is far happier to explore kodi addons knowing that if she exits by accident she can restart it easily.

jophilly

Oct 23, 2013
Montreal, Canada
I agree with everything arogantis said. I purchased one here in canada because the fire tv is not available here. I prefer the nexus player over other andriod boxes just because they are not like the other boxes where you have to update the firmware and if they deceide to put out another box they tend to not support the older models. A plus is the nexus player is easy to set up and you do not need root sideload apps. Also kodi runs pretty flawless on it.

kingsama

Nov 25, 2014
I picked up a nexus player yesterday, and have to agree with the above praises. Its significanty smoother than fire stick, much easier to side load apps(es file manager+google drive=easy breezy), and the UI is much cleaner. I was even streaming 10gb files over wifi on a wireless g router.

The big draw backs are no hbogo app, no menu button on remote(solved via smartphone app), and Netflix lack of 5.1. Hopefully the Netflix and HBO go will be hammered out.

All and all I love the device and if the above apps can get fixed and some other apps can be added life will be grand.

Arogantis

Apr 7, 2013
no menu button on remote(solved via smartphone app)
I solved the menu button on remote by writing my own nexus.xml keybinding and put it in userdata/keymaps.

Heres the code i used

Code:
<keymap>
    <global>
        <keyboard>
            <play_pause>ContextMenu</play_pause>
        </keyboard>
    </global>
	<fullscreenvideo>
		<keyboard>
			<play_pause>PlayPause</play_pause>
			<key id="61448">stop</key>
		</keyboard>
	</fullscreenvideo>
</keymap>
this basically makes the play/pause button bring up the context menu unless your playing a video in which case it reverts to being play/pause. It also makes the back button become a stop button when playing video.