Anyone using a Cubox ?

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
I'm using a hummingboard i2ex, which is the same as cuboxi i2ex it's just that it's the development board version

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
I'll try and be as honest as possible..
It's alright, it all depends on what your looking for. If it's purely to run xbmc then it performs pretty well it's more then quick enough, to run bigger skins etc. (alot quicker then the the pi).Openelec have only just begun to officially support it (since Helix). So there is no official Gotham release.

If your thinking of running Android on it then your wasting your time though. It's horrible !!

I Can't remember how much I played for it, I pre ordered it in August last year I think it was around £70 with psu and shipping to UK so bang for buck you may get more for your money. Especially if your a android fan.

I personally like messing around with these little development type computers though, and I do prefer Linux based Xbmc/Kodi versions over Android so I'm a bit biased.

I know there is another member on these forums that uses a cuboxi maybe they can chime in and give you some feedback.

Last edited:

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Now the pi2 has been released I would buy the pi2 over the cuboxi. And it's less then half the price !!

kdnoel

Sep 4, 2013
North Carolina
Now the pi2 has been released I would buy the pi2 over the cuboxi. And it's less then half the price !!
Case, power supply, USB WiFi, keyboard, storage card, and a $35.00 pi is s not cheap let alone half price. Please share your cost on your pi2 setup in case I'm missing something.

mrjezza

Feb 11, 2015
I have the i4pro and its really smooth through the menus when nothing is playing. HUGE performance difference between the rPi and this.

There's always some dropped video frames when first loading a menu during playback, but after that it's usable while video continues in the background. I'm very happy with it.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Case, power supply, USB WiFi, keyboard, storage card, and a $35.00 pi is s not cheap let alone half price. Please share your cost on your pi2 setup in case I'm missing something.
Ok so this is a actual cost of a raspberry pi2 delivered in the UK from Cpc Farnell which includes official raspberry pi 2amp psu, noobs card, pibow case,Wipi wifi dongle,usb keyboard and mouse.

However you don't need to spend 10 on a case you can print one for free from cardboard or spend £1.50 from eBay if you like

You don't need a Usb keyboard or mouse if your using for Kodi if you have cec you can use your TV remote, or if you have android or iPhone you can control it remotely using your phone or tablet, the apps also allow you to use you device as a keyboard.

Possibly won't need WiFi it all depends where it's setup.

Anyway £70.66 is still cheaper then $130 which is £80 here in the UK that you would expect to pay for a cubox i2ex and you may still have to pay for a keyboard, mouse, and a European to UK plug convertor for the included PSU :)

Last edited:

kdnoel

Sep 4, 2013
North Carolina
Ok so this is a actual cost of a raspberry pi2 delivered in the UK from Cpc Farnell which includes official raspberry pi 2amp psu, noobs card, pibow case,Wipi wifi dongle,usb keyboard and mouse.

However you don't need to spend 10 on a case you can print one for free from cardboard or spend £1.50 from eBay if you like

You don't need a Usb keyboard or mouse if your using for Kodi if you have cec you can use your TV remote, or if you have android or iPhone you can control it remotely using your phone or tablet, the apps also allow you to use you device as a keyboard.

Possibly won't need WiFi it all depends where it's setup.

Anyway £70.66 is still cheaper then $130 which is £80 here in the UK that you would expect to pay for a cubox i2ex and you may still have to pay for a keyboard, mouse, and a European to UK plug convertor for the included PSU :)
Thanks for the break down!
I was seeing the cost of the pi doubles when you put it all together.
I'm not really big on the cubox anyway so I wouldn't by it to begin with.

If one is a diy guy the pi is a great option. Some are and some aren't. Personally I'm all geek so it would work for me.

I'm still waiting for my hacked Boxee Box to die and it still kicks the butt of the Mx2 I've setup for my daughters home.

It's to bad that the non-geek buyers were suckered into the Q.

Personally if I had a Q I would be running Openelec and be done with it.

Thanks again for your post!