Anything else I can do to make my Kodi experience seamless with no buffering?

RemixDeluxe

Feb 22, 2017
Heres a speedtest I took from my network speedtest.net/result/6084098427.png

My device is the Matricom G-Box Q (the first, not the 2nd) and I have it hooked up to Ethernet

I've also installed **** Wizard and enabled the "1GB of RAM or more Devices" in advanced settings. Under maintenance tools I also turned on Weekly Auto Clean and Auto Clean on Kodi Launch.

Is there anything else I can do? I still seem to be experiencing some buffering every 5 mins and even get kicked out of what I'm watching.

P.S. Are there any other box devices out there that have more than 2GB of RAM? I imagine if I had more to work with it could help the buffering issue but Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, etc all seem to have 2GB as the standard.

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
The issue is almost always with the source. Some sources are terrible. But you have to figure out which one for your location. I suggest trying a popular movie that has been available for awhile, and then year each of the different sites to see which works the best. Besides that, you can always try a debrid account which I've found to be very helpful.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Not sure how many boxes have more than 2 gig ram. The nVidia Shield is one (maybe the only one) or your could simply use an old laptop as long as it has HDMI output.

RemixDeluxe

Feb 22, 2017
The source I have issues with is c***ud TV. I can watch it for a good 5-10 mins and then it crashes back to the channel select menu. Are there any other sources to stream live TV for free with no buffering or is my only choice to pay for a source if I want a seamless experience?

Last edited:

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
The source I have issues with is c***ud TV. I can watch it for a good 5-10 mins and then it crashes back to the channel select menu. Are there any other sources to stream live TV for free with no buffering or is my only choice to pay for a source if I want a seamless experience?
Free streams are usually very poor & even paid sources won't give you a seamless experience like you'd get from cable tv. Your hardware is almost never the issue, it's nearly always the source.

I think most people here just watch shows the day after they aired using addons such as Ex**us etc. That way there is much less chance of any buffering or other such annoyances.

RemixDeluxe

Feb 22, 2017
Free streams are usually very poor & even paid sources won't give you a seamless experience like you'd get from cable tv. Your hardware is almost never the issue, it's nearly always the source.

I think most people here just watch shows the day after they aired using addons such as Ex**us etc. That way there is much less chance of any buffering or other such annoyances.
Aside from Ex**us what else are good free solutions? I just want my options open.

If its still terrible I'll consider paid sources but you said that wont guarantee a fix for buffering.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Ex**us doesn't offer live streams, just content from file hosters. There are others such as SA*TS, Velo**ty etc which offer similar files, think of it like a 'Catch-Up TV' type service as opposed to live channels. I'd suggest you have a look around the site & install a few of these addons & see which you like.

If you definitely need live tv then I can't help much, I gave up on it a long time ago. Maybe others could advise you better, but I never found it anything like as reliable as cable tv, which is what I use :)

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
The only thing I watch live is Hockey if I am stuck away from home...at home I have my sub for sports. The only way on live streams to get no buffering is to have cable or sat.

yzf

May 14, 2012
ustv U* T*rk Gob**e Gob**e live mix r just a few that have live feeds
u need fast internet

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
ustv U* T*rk Gob**e Gob**e live mix r just a few that have live feeds
u need fast internet
You don't need fast internet to use those addons, unless you call 5-10 Mbps fast. The vast majority of their feeds will be SD quality which would only probably use about 2 Mbps. The problem is they will still buffer due to the overloaded source.

yzf

May 14, 2012
fxb78 y r u hi jacking this thread
the faster your internet the better your experience with kodi live or not he or she ask for some live feeds i gave some unlike u that said u don't use them and work for the cable company

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
@yzf what you claim is not fact, you can have the fastest Internet in the world and still have horrible live streams if the server serving up the stream can't serve up fast enough... On the flip side you can have mediocre Internet and get very stable streams if the servers you are getting the content from can keep up... 9/10 the issue with live streams in not on the users end, it's due to overloaded servers that simply can't serve up the stream fast enough, no matter how fast your Internet is if the server is only 1 Mbps and the stream requires 2 Mbps, you will simply not get a reliable live stream even if you had 1000 Mbps Internet speeds on your end...

As FXB78 said as long as you have half way decent broadband speeds you have enough speed on your end to stream the problem then lies in the other half of the equation, that being where it's coming from... The stream quality is always fully dependent upon the slowest link in connection...
Deny it all you want but the blunt truth is most free live streams are not reliable, sure you might find a diamond in the rough every so often but it's rare... Most live streams are simply over compressed and on overloaded servers that won't result in a good buffer free experience...

You can use a paid IPTV service (not talked about here) and get decent life streams, but they will still almost always be inferior to a legit service like cable, sat, antenna or even Hulu or Netfix no matter how fast your Internet is, that is the blunt truth and reality of it...

Back to the OP...

I've also installed **** Wizard and enabled the "1GB of RAM or more Devices" in advanced settings. Under maintenance tools I also turned on Weekly Auto Clean and Auto Clean on Kodi Launch.
Kodi uses up to three times the RAM you set as the video cache, so setting it to 1GB when your device only has 2GB is bound to cause to to crash if it every caches that much... Also note that that cache is only for 'hosted' streams, live streams are cached differently...

As always changing the buffer cache rarely fixes the problem as the problem almost always rest with the source simply not being able to stream fast enough and even with large buffers you are bound to have the buffer overrun, or never actually filled that far in advance...

yzf

May 14, 2012
thank for the lesson meep all i am saying if u got 4 or 5 people on the internet at a time in your house your medium internet going to suck i put my internet to 150 and have had no problems since on the buffering but what do i know i am just a dumb farmer

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
thank for the lesson meep all i am saying if u got 4 or 5 people on the internet at a time in your house your medium internet going to suck
Not necessarily, it all depends on what all those people are doing and the bandwidth they are gobbling up and how much you have total...

Medium broadband in the US should be upwards of 25 Mbps speeds by my estimates nowadays for most urban areas... That is theoretically enough for 4 or 5 people to stream different SD and HD videos at the same time without much issue if it's a true speed... On the other hand if only a few are streaming HD while are streaming SD and others are just browsing the Internet or what not there should theoretically be excess bandwidth even with 4 or 5 people on...

But, to be blunt if you have slow Internet and multiple people gobbling up that very limited bandwidth, I would hope one discloses that before the blame or suggest Kodi is at fault for not being able to stream anything... In this case the OP posted a link to their speed test that showed a 28.77 Mbps speed, thus that for all intents rules out a speed issue on their end...

Rachel1786

Apr 8, 2016
I have issues with c***ud too(I typically watch one of the 24/7 channels), sometimes ot will play fine for a half hour or so and then crash and be fine again, right now I'm watching the bones 24/7 channel and its crashing every minute or 2, driving me crazy lol, my internet speed is about 15Mbps give or take so it is probably server and not internet