Apple TV 1 Hardware Problem

Banu

Jan 19, 2013
I have an ATV1 which is behaving oddly.

On boot up the yellow light flashes and the screen is stuck on the apple logo.

The problem seems to be the 'socket' the wifi card (internal) is inserted into...basically if I remove the wifi card then the Apple TV works normally.

I tried replacing the wifi card with another and it stops working. I tried installing a cristalhd card and it stops working.

If the socket is left empty the ATV works.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated as I need the wifi.

Many thanks

crusader88

Apr 19, 2013
I have an ATV1 which is behaving oddly.

On boot up the yellow light flashes and the screen is stuck on the apple logo.

The problem seems to be the 'socket' the wifi card (internal) is inserted into...basically if I remove the wifi card then the Apple TV works normally.

I tried replacing the wifi card with another and it stops working. I tried installing a cristalhd card and it stops working.

If the socket is left empty the ATV works.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated as I need the wifi.

Many thanks
What happens when you hold the menu and - button and the same time and restore?

Banu

Jan 19, 2013
What happens when you hold the menu and - button and the same time and restore?
Nothing. If the wifi card is removed I can go through the restore process. If its installed it just boots to the apple logo and flashing yellow light.

crusader88

Apr 19, 2013
Nothing. If the wifi card is removed I can go through the restore process. If its installed it just boots to the apple logo and flashing yellow light.
hmm let think about this, so the wifi card is the problem. Can you replace it ?

Banu

Jan 19, 2013
hmm let think about this, so the wifi card is the problem. Can you replace it ?
No, not the card. I have replaced it and I have also tried putting in a Broadcom hd card in. The same thing happens. It's definately the socket. But I can't see any damage on the mother board.

One thing I noticed is the card got hot very quickly.

If the socket is empty everything works.

May 6, 2012
It is a defective component in the related circuit to the mini-pci slot. If it gets to hot most likely a part is shorted to ground. You can't see that 99% of theime as it is internal the the component. There could be another reason but being I repair electronics for the military this is my guess

Banu

Jan 19, 2013
It is a defective component in the related circuit to the mini-pci slot. If it gets to hot most likely a part is shorted to ground. You can't see that 99% of theime as it is internal the the component. There could be another reason but being I repair electronics for the military this is my guess
Thanks for your reply. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

May 6, 2012
Thanks for your reply. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?
Without schematics I would say it would be most unlikely if you can't see any obvious defect but even if you could usually there is more damage that you can't see