Apple TV Crystal Ubuntu without broadcom card?

simsin

Jul 30, 2014
Hey I wanted to updated my atv1 with a more recent JB

I do not have a BCM70015 chip in it... it is stock with the 160gb hdd and the wifi.

Is it possible for me to install the Crystal Ubuntu to use with the wifi?

Or is it not recommended?

thanks

dirty

Oct 5, 2012
I think you can run it without the card, you could always just boot it from the dongle and not download it to your harddrive to test it out. That way if it doesn't work no harm no foul. I have an atv1 w/ the card and running crystalbuntu and I really like this setup. I use a powerline adaptor to run ethernet into my bedroom and it works much better than wifi.

LiquidMercury

May 17, 2012
Kansas
yes you can run crystalbuntu without the crystal hd card, but from what I understand there are issues with the wifi in cb2. It should be fixed in the next incarnation of crystalbuntu. I really couldnt tell you how other users got it working, but I would highly suggest heading over to the crystalbuntu forums and check their information out.

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
yes you can run crystalbuntu without the crystal hd card, but from what I understand there are issues with the wifi in cb2. It should be fixed in the next incarnation of crystalbuntu. I really couldnt tell you how other users got it working, but I would highly suggest heading over to the crystalbuntu forums and check their information out.
I just recently install open el and they actually have a screen for you to set up wifi or wired as part of the set-up process
Works Great
a little longer process but ya, it works good

geoluv

Apr 5, 2013
As i type this I'm watching 720p streaming VEVO videos on my atv1 running crystalbuntu Gotham installed on the internal HD over wifi with the stock wifi card and no crystal video card.

it works like this: it all depends on the video and audio settings for your system/tv and what video file you are trying to watch. it depends on how hard the software has to "work" to display your video file. when you have the crystal card installed all video becomes hardware decoded. 1080p doesn't work too good, 720p works good as long as you don't tax the system too much. the "rawer" you can get the audio and video to display the better, meaning avoid having to downsample from 1080p to 720p and from 5.1 audio to 2 channel audio. if you get files that are 720p with 2 channel audio it works almost without dropping frames ever, youtube music videos look absolutly amazing. if you're trying to watch an ultra high bitrate 1080p video with 5.1 (or 7.1) audio it aint going to work if you have to downsample it.

the built in wifi itself works fine for me, disconects once in a while when i leave it on all day. unfortunately these days its almost not worth upgrading an atv1 with a crystal card and a wifi card because those two items alone cost as much as some android boxes and the atv1 will NEVER run netflix or hulu. if you already have a spare wifi usb adaptor and an atv1 lying around then go ahead and buy a crystal card, but otherwise just sell the atv1 and get an ouya.

if you want to install xbmc on the ATV1 make sure you do a hardware install, the usb install is just too laggy even with a class 10 card.

Last edited: