Apple TV remote unpairing

Booboy

Jan 20, 2014
I have a problem with the Apple remotes on my XBMC running under OpenElec.
I have several remotes and they are ALL paired to my system.
I want to have just one paired so that I can operate my ATV3 independently, but while the ATV1 is also running.

1/ I tried holding down the MENU & LEFT buttons together for a few seconds. XBMC says unpairing successful, but it isn't,
the remote still controls XBMC.

2/ I tried holding down the MENU & PLAY buttons together for a few seconds. Success! ... BUT, now ALL of my remotes are unpaired.

3/ Tried to pair each remote my holding down MENU & RIGHT buttons together for a few seconds, XBMC says remote already paired, but it isn't and still won't operate the system.

4/ Repeated step 1. Pairing successful but now ALL the remotes are paired again.

Anyone know where I can go from here?

Last edited:

Booboy

Jan 20, 2014
Thanks, showgun, but I only have the one TV. Also the TV remote won't work with the ATV3
I can use the 'remote' app on my iphone to control the ATV3, but that's a pain, I'd prefer to use the Apple TV remotes if possible.
I'd use one of the plastic ones and one of the aluminium ones, to avoid confusion.
It seems that XBMC on the ATV1 sees all the remotes as identical, and cannot tell them apart, so they either ALL work, or NONE of them work.
The ATV3 will recognise only one remote at a time, which suits my purposes, but it does show that the remotes are not all the same, as far as the OS is concerned.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
Your TV remote will work with the ATV3. THERE IS A PAIR REMOTE FEATURE. It allows you to pair any it remote the the ATV.

To answer you more directly, after following the steps you have done I dont know of anything else you could do.

Booboy

Jan 20, 2014
Thanks again showgun.
I did try that yesterday with my TV remote, but I think the batteries were failing, which is why it didn't recognise the remote.
Replaced batteries today and tried again and it works fine.
However, I've found a remote for another device that I will definitely not be using at the same time as the ATVs, so I'll be using that one.
I've only had the ATV3 for a few days, so still finding out what it can do.
Thanks for the suggestions, my question is now answered!