Apple TV verses Amazon Fire TV

uteotw

Feb 26, 2015
Kansas
So I downloaded Kodi last night to my iMac and played around with it. I'm new and still learning, but I'm ready to jump to a box that I can install Kodi on and hook up to my TV.

Naturally I'm leading towards an Apple TV, b/c I own all Apple products, but was also looking at the Amazon Fire TV...Both are pretty comparable in price, so price isn't an issue, but performance, ect is...

Which of the 2 will get me the best results running Kodi...I understand I'll have to jailbreak the Apple TV

Thanks

jbizzy

Aug 9, 2012
You're not going to want to get an Apple TV2. They're expensive and very limited on how well they run KODI/XBMC. Definitely get something else.
I have one and pretty much don't use it anymore as it is quite underpowered and slower than virtually any other device now. They had their day, but that is in the past, support on the ATV2 will not continue going forward either.

tnvolunteer

Aug 17, 2014
Dear uteotw,

I, too, am a life-long Apple product user from Apple ][+ days to ipod, Mac, iphone, ipad, etc. Many Versions of each. And today I have 2 ATV2s and 1 ATV3 (optimistic me, waiting for a great Jailbreak on this one for 2 years now!) units in the house. I support some 40-50 ATV2 users that I set up over the past 3 years AND NOW I own an Amazon Fire TV, along with a number of my original "clients" of the ATV2. Bottom line, there is NO comparison today----GO with the Amazon FIRE TV. In Genesis addon for movies and TV episodes it will take you up two levels of clarity above the SD versions that stop with the ATV2 model. Fire TV welcomes you to HD and 1080p versions of movies and episodes. Awesome move up for Fire TV usage.

That's my two cents worth, and I am sticking by it! LOL

uteotw

Feb 26, 2015
Kansas
Dear uteotw,

I, too, am a life-long Apple product user from Apple ][+ days to ipod, Mac, iphone, ipad, etc. Many Versions of each. And today I have 2 ATV2s and 1 ATV3 (optimistic me, waiting for a great Jailbreak on this one for 2 years now!) units in the house. I support some 40-50 ATV2 users that I set up over the past 3 years AND NOW I own an Amazon Fire TV, along with a number of my original "clients" of the ATV2. Bottom line, there is NO comparison today----GO with the Amazon FIRE TV. In Genesis addon for movies and TV episodes it will take you up two levels of clarity above the SD versions that stop with the ATV2 model. Fire TV welcomes you to HD and 1080p versions of movies and episodes. Awesome move up for Fire TV usage.

That's my two cents worth, and I am sticking by it! LOL
Thanks tnvolunteer...I was kinda leaning towards the Amazon Fire TV anyway, but just want to make the best decision...Oh, and regarding your moniker, I'm orginally from Tennessee and a huge UT fan...Go Vols!

jbizzy

Aug 9, 2012
Ok, so the Apple TV 2 is the newest product on the market...as in if I go to Best Buy today and buy an Apple TV it's the "Apple TV 2" even though it doesn't say "2"?
Nope, they are Apple TV 3's and are un-jailbreakable. You can't put KODI/XBMC on them. You'd have to get an ATV2 off of Ebay @ $200+.
Really, do yourself a favour and get pretty much anything else.

uteotw

Feb 26, 2015
Kansas
Nope, they are Apple TV 3's and are un-jailbreakable. You can't put KODI/XBMC on them. You'd have to get an ATV2 off of Ebay @ $200+.
Really, do yourself a favour and get pretty much anything else.
Thanks man...that answers my question!

pizzaman

Jan 13, 2014
Why we still discussing a box that is old is the hills and 2 is no longer supported in Xbmc?

Fire TV best box on the market. Simple to use does everything you could want and I love that it is a media box. All the other droid boxes are just a tablet stuffed into a box. The interface and everything is just stock android nothing special.
And I hate with all the other boxes Netflix, and many other TV apps are not hd like they are in the fire.

Fire TV I can choose what apps I want on my box.
Apple TV 2 Apple decides.
Fire TV quad core processor 2gb ram
Apple TV single core 512 my ram
Now I know android takes more power and comparing them strictly on that is not everything. My iPhone out plays any android phone even if the droid may have more memory or processing power.

The biggest thing the fire TV has a huge community that is always putting new apps games out for it and just love the box.

vitalsigns

May 30, 2014
Hi,

Just adding my feedback.

Over the past 3 years I have owned and used 4 Apple TV 2's. Great machine and did the job but with Gotham and now Kodi, the Apple TV's cannot handle these. Not only could I not play 1080p programming but I faced constant issues where the ATV 2's would shut down and go through restart cycles.
Over the past 2-3 months I have sold each Apple TV and now have HTPC set ups. The experience is unbelievable and until you physically experience both you cannot appreciate what you have been missing!

No doubt the Apple TV product was GREAT but during its time. But now there are so many better options available.

Best of luck!

fsbarnhill

May 16, 2012
I have owned apple tv 1 st generation, apple tv2's, Ouya's, BoxeeBox as well as Amazon Fire TV. The speed difference and picture quality of the Amazon Fire TV sets it apart. All my family and friends have sold there Apple TV's and bought the Amazon Fire TV before they became harder to come by in Canada. No jailbreak or rooting necessary to install Kodi or Show Box. Remote works very well. Just a quality box in my opinion.

Maddcow

Aug 25, 2012
I own 2 x ATV 2s but have recently bought a FireTV because I was tired of the ATVs not coping with HD content and often rebooting. My FireTV is rooted and boots straight into Kodi (which I believe isn't possible unless the box is rooted & configured that way) but even if it was unrooted, I'd still recommend the FireTV to run Kodi. It's very reliable with lots of great features and (I never thought I'd say this because I love Apple products) I actually much prefer the FireTV remote for its ergonomics and extra functionalities.

The ATV2 has pretty much reached the end of its lifespan as a XBMC/Kodi box. I still use my 2x ATVs in other rooms of my house but they will eventually be replaced with FireTVs unless something even better is released.

pizzaman

Jan 13, 2014
You can boot into kodi without root. It's an option in the adbfire program to tick when installing llama. It also will put an Xbmc icon or kodi icon over classic TV for you.

I love apple to but the fire TV has so many apps and games. I think for the price $99 or less when on sale there is no better box.

I have tried the Gbox q the Gbox mx2 and neither compare to the fire TV.

Susana

Mar 7, 2015
On My TV
I am about on buying an android box so do you think is better the fire tv vs the others?

You can boot into kodi without root. It's an option in the adbfire program to tick when installing llama. It also will put an Xbmc icon or kodi icon over classic TV for you.

I love apple to but the fire TV has so many apps and games. I think for the price $99 or less when on sale there is no better box.

I have tried the Gbox q the Gbox mx2 and neither compare to the fire TV.

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
buy the fire tv box.always used apple tv but have jumped ship to amazon.best buy by far.
easy to sideload apks via adbfire.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Neither, I wouldn't risk Amazon locking it all down & atv's are of course no longer supported.