AppleTV IR remote config for xbmc-linux on Pivos/MyGica/Sumvision etc

dogsballs

Jan 29, 2013
i have an old atv1 which is finished its usefull life. i have xbmc on it and the remote worked fine including the ok/menu function, would it not be possible to copy the config file onto geeksquads build, or am i talking out my a**e. still havnt recieved my a11 yet so cant mess around

Nukeybrown

May 13, 2012
Geeksquad can you have a look at the joystickremote xml file when you get a second see if you think it would map against your remote config file

TvT

Jan 4, 2013
Id also be very happy if the 'long press' funtion on the menu and middle button would work

Nukeybrown

May 13, 2012
I agree as this enables the favourites menu and the force update on addons amongst other thing. Would also like the menu button to act as a stop button when playing videos. Thought i was on my own in here until you commented TvT lol

Nukeybrown

May 13, 2012
Im determined to work out think keymapping thingy , feel like im looking in 100 places for the same thing.

AliUsman

May 13, 2013
hi man,

How to SSH to Linux flashed Jynxbox? how am i meant to copy Remote.Config file?

Regards

dogsballs

Jan 29, 2013
I finally got around to trying this out on an old white apple remote which I had from an ATV1, I didn't bother with the whole ssh thing. I simply unpacked Geeksquad8.img and replaced the code in the remote. conf with the one supplied by first post here. I repacked and then had to run the zip through the Image Firmware Signing Instructions posted by dazzlerellis to get my mygica a11 to except the update img.

It worked and I was able to use the white apple remote at least to some extent unfortunetly something is missing, while I can navigate ok I cannot select anything, have tried all the buttons but no joy. pity.

GlammaGeek

Mar 25, 2013
Been playing around, and remembered that I never finished the remote config file for the AppleTV IR remote.

So here it is: http://37.247.48.91/atv.conf

You need to rename and copy that file to the following folder on your device : /root/.xbmc/remote.conf

Cut'n'paste:
Code:
wget http://37.247.48.91/atv.conf -O /root/.xbmc/remote.conf
Then either hard reboot, or run the following command via ssh:

Code:
/usr/bin/amremote_config /root/.xbmc/remote.conf

Should work on most AMLogic devices including

Pivos Xios DS M1/M3
Sumvision Cyclone Nano Slim+ M1/M3
MyGica ATV-510B
MyGica A11

Have fun!

For the older White Apple TV remote, use this.

Code:
wget http://37.247.48.91/atvwhite.conf -O /root/.xbmc/remote.conf
/usr/bin/amremote_config /root/.xbmc/remote.conf

You guys are just simply BRILLIANT!!! NOTHING LESS!

I'm running J1nx's A11-update20130614-733aad863d.img on the Android HD. Other than for some minor buffering in Hulu, my Jynxbox test specimen is running as smooth and sweet as the milk from my teat that I used to feed my baby years ago. So far today (this morning), I've learned:

1. Without Linux, the Jynxbox is a Junkbox;
2. I can't use a hidden network so I should stop obsessing about it;
3. How to ssh into the Jynxbox by using "root" as the username and "letmein" as the password;
4. That the XBMC folder (which I will clone onto other Jynxboxes) is located in /root/.xbmc (Do I need to chown after the cloning like in ATV2?);
5. I do not have to pull my sexy dreads out trying to use the stupid Gyro remote because I can use the silver remote from my ATV2. (Yes, folks. It works!!! YAY!!!)
6. How to press "c" on a USB keyboard to get the popup menu to appear so I can force the pesky Bluecop and XBMCHub addons to refresh and show me their goodies.
7. I really can tweak this thing to be retail ready to sell in my store.
8. I love you guys. I mean REALLY love you guys. All of you. Even you John Boy.
9. I don't know who to write the check out to.
10. Reading really IS fundamental.
11. Even though I cannot figure out how to connect a Bluetooth keyboard or mouse while running Linux, someone will probably take pity on this little old lady down on her luck, and at least tell her if she's on crack wanting to close the deal with a Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse.

Signed,

One very happy camper (a.k.a. GlammaGeek)

BTW, Sorry if my post was off topic. Please don't beat me again with that big ole stick Daddy...

Last edited:

sickboy

Mar 13, 2013
People - it's called the "Context Menu" and there is a file which maps key presses to xbmc functions.

Give a shout out to umouch as he just went through this on the Ouya and might have some solid input.

Craignicholls

Aug 24, 2013
Hi apologies for the newbie question, i have read many links to try and undestand this but have hit a brick wall...I have a sumvision m1 with Linux xbmc installed and a white apple remote - I tried to copy the remote.cfg file to the root directory from a usb by using the xmbc file manager, as I don't understand how to connect my Mac to the sumvision to use shh / Linux - however the USB won't allow me to copy the file (more to do with read only mounting of USB I believe). Is there a xbmc addon that would allow me update with this file, or a simple way to get this file on root directory? Thank you in advance

dogsballs

Jan 29, 2013
If you have the older white remote then unfortunetly you r out of luck it doesn't work properly

Craignicholls

Aug 24, 2013
If you have the older white remote then unfortunetly you r out of luck it doesn't work properly
Thanks for the reply DB, i managed to suss out the ssh via mac terminal so all good there....seems strange that the directional buttons work ok but the menu and play buttons don't, i would assume this simply relates to the config file requiring adjustment to accommodate, rather that total incompatibility?

Flipmode

May 6, 2012
This would be a nice feature if this tweak could make it into the Hub Maintenance add on, I would love to code this myself but with no knowledge of coding it may take me a while to read up on python coding and XBMC wiki to figure something out, it would be painful. Yes I have started reading.

What would make more sense in getting this to work with a Pivos, having the ability to to switch from the Pivos remote to the Apple remote and from the Apple remote to the Pivos remote.

Not sure what the exact sequence of events would be feasible

1. Have it download and copy the remote.conf to the proper directory to activate the apple remote, then delete the file to activate the Pivos remote. The user would have to reboot the Pivos for changes to take effect

or

2. Have it download and copy the remote.conf to the proper directory to activate the apple remote, then have it just rename the file remote1.conf to activate the Pivos remote. The user would have to reboot the Pivos for changes to take effect

or

3. Neither is possible just forget it

or

4. There is another possibility which is easier

If any coder cares to throw me a bone?

markosjal

Banned
Jul 23, 2012
I wamt to use a different remote and already have all of the button codes , but how do I get the factory code?

Also if the remote does not work correctly in on screen keyboard (for text input), look in system / input devices and change the option for "remote sends keyboard presses"

As for the Apple Remote it may be easier to work from ATVClient?
https://github.com/Evinyatar/atvclient/wiki
If you do not know ATVClient is how the remote is supported on Apple TV 1 and now other Mac IR receivers. It seems it may be a good base to work from if one could custiomize it for the IR in these boxes. I know this appears to be all lirc based but as far as I can tell the long keypresses will never work with LIRC. The Apple remote is the best for XBMC but only with long key presses

Last edited: