ATV1 Set UP Concerns

tpleash

Jun 9, 2014
Hi, An absolute newbie here.

My config is a MACPRO and an ATV1.

I have a few questions, they may sound simple, but they are a concern for me. If you can assist it would be appreciated and Thanks in advance.

1. I've tried to install using ATV USB Creator for Mac as indicated on the Downloads page and it fails every time during the setting up of the USB Drive. see log below. However in trying to solve this, I found more information which SEEMS to suggest that this process is no longer valid?? and that you should use terminai to download CrystalBuntu. I haven't tried this process as yet. What is the right process for today.?

2. If I strike a problem further in the process as I go or, even after a successful installation, is it possible to roll back to the original Apple OS.

3. After installing, will the ATV still talk to iTunes (I assume it won't) or how do I get videos and music to the ATV from my existing library.

4. Is it possible to plug a hard drive into the USB following installation and if so, what format is required.

I'll leave it there for the moment, but if anyone can assist it will be appreciated.

Cheers

Terry

Log File
=====
Downloading 2Z694-6013-013.dmg...
Download complete!
Extracting boot.efi ...
Extracting recovery seed ...
extracting atv_recv.zip
Creating USB Flash Disk...
umount_disk settling delay (10 seconds)
partition the target disk
umount_disk settling delay (10 seconds)
install recovery onto target disk
Unable to mount recovery: GetMasterBlock: Error 13 opening /dev/rdisk1s2
GetMasterBlock: Error 13 opening /dev/rdisk1s2
mount_hfs: Permission denied
install_recovery failed
Failed! (0:00:47)

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
understand your concerns but if you want xbmc on your apple tv 1
than you should forgo i tunes cause why have i tunes on your tv when you can use your computer?
Just a thought
(this is if you intend to use hd crystalbuntu) there are 3 selections I have only tried the one that takes over the apple

Though I did have an apple 1 that I could NOT access the USB port. I guess apple had versions that were only accessed by apple (another good reason to avoid apple) as someone already mentioned...why have a product that the seller does NOT want you to access.
The little babies at apple- NO WONDER android is gaining in customer base

But just the same, already mentioned is that you want xbmc to run alone (someone else suggested)

Long Live OUYA and Amazon Fire tv (as I connect an apple 2 because OUYA site seems to have troubles right now LOLLOLololol)

crusader88

Apr 19, 2013
Best thing to do is install crystal buntu it will give you the option of either a hard drive or USB installation

tpleash

Jun 9, 2014
Thanks for the advice. If I install it on a USB drive I guess I can rollback to the Standard OS, by removing the USB.

Should I decide to install on the HD, will it support an external HD for more storage.

Finally, I'm still a little confused about how you get files on your computer onto the ATV HD. or is now simply streamed

Cheers

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
I still was UNABLE to access the USB port but I am returning the Apple 1. What sucks is that one day I will buy an apple 1 with the port shut off and I won't be allowed to return the product.

I have searched my *## off and cannot find a solution for turning on that port. I understand that once it is on, I can drop NITO in but not only is the port shut off but I cannot even SSH into the box.
I tried the Ping and it is working with an internet connection, but after attempting every code to mankind, I still get "unable to connect" or it times out
uhh ohh well

tpleash

Jun 9, 2014
Yes, I thought I would try. But with differing instructions on how to install it and no clear roadmap as to how to get the basics running e.g. import of video and music, it makes it difficult to move forward. I haven't as yet installed CrystalBuntu. That appears to be the first step to installing XMBC, but I would also like to know step two. How to get my library onboard. As I understand the installation to the HD wipes the disk, so the library will only exist on my pc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Apple TV 1 2
V Computers 0
V Apple TV 1 1