ATV2 and netflix icon gone after DNS change

dolanm56

Jul 27, 2012
First off i'd like to say hi to everyone here on xbmchub :D.

Recently my ATV2 stopped playing netflix content and has now also decided it doesn't like it's DNS settings changed.

When i manually change the DNS settings the netflix icon will disappear from the main dash but if i use the automatic settings to connect to the internet then the netflix icon will reappear, when my DNS settings have been changed manually i am still able to use xbmc and plugins such as Ic*f*lms, 1Ch**nel and tubeplus.

Im sure most of you are aware that Netflix regional restrictions can be bypassed by simply changing the DNS settings which has worked flawlessly for me over the past few months but now suddenly doesn't and so i would like to know if anyone has had any similar problems recently with there atv and netflix and if you were able to fix it.

Could it have been some sort of silent update from apple or simply netflix blocking known DNS servers from connecting ? it just seems funny that the icon actually disappears from the ATV menu.

dolanm56

Jul 27, 2012
are you using unblock-us ?
Not at the moment no, i was using unotelly dns settings directly in the ATV2's network settings before and have multiple dns addresses that ive used. none of them work now not even the unblock us trial dns, i would pay for unblock us if i knew it would work but i also for some reason cant set my router to accept there dns settings in ubuntu's terminal with telnet.
When i try telnetting into the router it accepts the settings fine but just wont connect afterwards meaning i am unable to change the DNS via router or at least at this moment in time i cant. I even called my isp and they have told me they dont restrict users from changing router settings for dns etc so im stumped as to whats gone wrong as netflix worked fine over the weekend on the ATV2.

dolanm56

Jul 27, 2012
I take it no one has experienced this then ?

Anyone here from the uk or outside the us with a netflix subscription that wants to try these dns settings to see if they can access US netflix content and also check to see if there netflix icon disappears like mines does then i would really appreciate the help.
Im sure the last two is unblock-us so may not work without registering for a trial but the rest are from other sources and have worked fine for me in the past.

crawl

May 7, 2012
Kansas City, MO
The icons disappearing is normal. That always happens when the internet connection can't be established. As in, if you use a network cable, and the ATV2 is sitting at the dashboard, and you unplug the network cable removing the internet, the icons disappear. At least the icons that require an internet connection.

So for some reason, you're not getting an internet connection anymore when using those DNS values.

I'd test a computer on the same network. Use the same DNS settings on a computer, and try to use Netflix that way. I'd venture to guess you'd have the same issues on the computer. It would at least give you more and better ways to test out the connection.

Also, can't you connect to your router through http? Type your router's IP into a web browser...

Last edited:

dolanm56

Jul 27, 2012
The icons disappearing is normal. That always happens when the internet connection can't be established. As in, if you use a network cable, and the ATV2 is sitting at the dashboard, and you unplug the network cable removing the internet, the icons disappear. At least the icons that require an internet connection.

So for some reason, you're not getting an internet connection anymore when using those DNS values.

I'd test a computer on the same network. Use the same DNS settings on a computer, and try to use Netflix that way. I'd venture to guess you'd have the same issues on the computer. It would at least give you more and better ways to test out the connection.

Also, can't you connect to your router through http? Type your router's IP into a web browser...
Hi crawl, thanks for the reply.
I can connect to the router through http but im not 100% sure if i am able to change the dns using the routers GUI, when i change the dns using telnet it wont connect on either pc or atv so i know the dns settings aren't working at least on the router but i also know the routers dns can be changed as ive done so in the past, only difference from then to now is that last time the dns was changed in the router i was using windows 7 and now i am using ubuntu 12.4 which is probably irrelevant.

I understand that when there is no internet connection the icons disappear but this doesn't explain how i am still able to use xbmc plugins with the same dns settings to watch streaming movies etc thats why i am lost as what the problem is.

Only thing i can recall doing that may have upset things was the other night when i went to bed rather than switching the tv back on and navigate through the menu's to turn the atv off i decided through sheer laziness to switch the power off at the socket that my router, atv, tv, pc etc is all connected to, i have noticed though that my atv has been assigned different IP addresses since all this carry on started but this most likely caused by me trying to change the dns and flushing the cache in the router

Last edited:

dolanm56

Jul 27, 2012
Did you test Netflix on your computer with the DNS values? That will tell you whether it's the ATV itself, or the DNS values.
Im not able to test the dns values on the pc as once the dns values are changed on my router i am unable to get a connection to the internet for some reason or other as this was never an issue in the past, im also unsure how to change dns settings in ubuntu if that is even possible to try that way, i dont think it's possible to change the values through firefox etc so im not sure what other way i can possibly try.

Netflix works fine with my UK account it just wont work with any dns values ive applied.

dolanm56

Jul 27, 2012
I tried once more with a different set of dns values and put them into the router, at first it seemed as if it did not work but after changing the atv's dns to the same primary dns settings on the router for playmo it started working again and icons are still there even after resetting the routers dns values back to the default ISP dns.

Im positive the dns values i was using before were from playmo so god knows why it suddenly stopped working but after putting the settings into the router then visiting the playmo website before setting the router's settings back to default seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the help guy's it's much appreciated

crawl

May 7, 2012
Kansas City, MO
I'll throw in my 2 cents... I still use Netflix as well. It works very well for some purposes. The interface is solid, and it's pretty much 100% reliable in what you see is what you get. No such thing as a broken link. For new movies, it sucks. That said, there's a good selection of old movies. They have a great number of good documentaries. They have a nice selection of cartoons and animated movies for kids. It's a great resource for kids. And they have quite a few good series in their entirety. For example, every Star Trek series. Every episode. I currently can't find that collection in its entirety on any single plugin at the moment. Farscape, Firefly, Dr. Who, Battlestar, Lost, Cheers, Law and Order, a bunch of old good ones I like. And all but the newest seasons of good recent shows like Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Supernatural, Mad Men, South Park, Archer, etc. It's certainly worth $8/month for me. Despite the fact that the Netflix app doesn't release memory correctly on my ATV2, and it requires me to boot XBMC twice..

But I still get plenty of use out of Netflix.

kajun

May 6, 2012
(Start rant)My wife uses Netflix period, she loves movies and old movies and as crawl said it is very reliable. I don't have any problem with XBMC but
my wife is old and old fashion and she cannot get used to all the buttons to press getting in and out of xbmc and trying to get a movie
to play. Netflix is only $8 month US wheras she was paying a fortune for dicknet that i canceled. Personally I don't use netflix period. I have
a atv2 in my PC room for testing purposes and a RPI with raspbmc and it is my preference. I like the PI better than the atv2. The PI boots
up to XBMC instantly, it's wireless and i have a remote, what else could a kajun want :D. Moral of the story is not everyone can get used to
modern technology, my wife is one of those. I love XBMC and i give thanks to everyone involved in XBMC and all the plugins/repositories and
to those who use their time in helping others..BTW Fusion rocks even on my PI. (End rant)

dolanm56

Jul 27, 2012
No offense... But I gotta ask, why Netflix when you have XBMC? Seriously though, I am curious to know.
No offense taken, i use netflix for more or less the same reasons as what crawl has described the app is solid it works 99.9% of the time, there is tons of good tv shows and movies that are in there entirety and most of them are also available in HD that simply aren't available through any of the plugins that are on xbmc.

Although i dont use netflix much myself it is there as a backup if the plugins on xbmc stop working i can also share my netflix account with two others simultaneously, one of those accounts is my parents so they can watch movies at the weekends, "What a great son i am lol" and the second account is my friend who uses netflix all the time and in turn shares his Sky Go account with me so i can watch sky movies, sky sports etc live and on demand services on my xbox 360 so in other words i get more for less at a fraction of the price by keeping netflix and paying £5.99 per month.

Last edited:

Amin B

Banned
May 6, 2012
why use Netflix? - because you can share your credential w/ others and pay $3 a month , cheaper than a Starbucks
drink ;)
- Also; I look at it as my personal movie collection which keeps growing without any hassle of D/L and scraping !

Last edited:

dolanm56

Jul 27, 2012
why use Netflix? - because you can share your credential w/ others and pay $3 a month , cheaper than Starbucks drink ;)
In my case i get free sky tv for sharing my netflix credentials which costs much more than £5.99 a month so to me it's a no brainer.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I also enjoy both Netflix because it's so cheap as well as I enjoy XBMC.

Because its cheap I also think its a good place to support and it may inspire more providers to follow. We need cheap legal movie providers over the Internet so they can compete and in the end give us top notch legal services for a low price.

I teen times rather pay for Netflix than furk for example, so same question: why pay for torrents I can download all I want for free without furk plus it's a dodgy service.

Last edited:

dolanm56

Jul 27, 2012
I also enjoy both Netflix because it's so cheap as well as I enjoy XBMC.

Because its cheap I also think its a good place to support and it may inspire more providers to follow. We need cheap legal movie providers over the Internet so they can compete and in the end give us top notch legal services for a low price.

I teen times rather pay for Netflix than furk for example, so same question: why pay for torrents I can download all I want for free without furk plus it's a dodgy service.
I have to agree regarding torrents and furk but got to ask would you pay for newsgroups ? or do you see it as the same as torrents, personally i just like the speed of newsgroups so dont mind paying 5 or 6 gbp per month when i feel like using newsgroups mostly for my xbox 360 stuff as the files are 7+ GB each.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Kodi Support 1
F Apple TV 2 0
D Apple TV 2 5