ATV2 version 5.2.1 and Tether boot!! and Gotham Update Paranoid!!!

Fkashani

Aug 15, 2013
The last time I updated my ATV2 I got into a mess of issues with Tethered boot and SeasonPass 0.9.0 or 0.9.5 to get ATV2 working when it shuts down. Before I do anything I want to make sure that I won't have the same issues again.

1- Can I update my ATV2 to the lasted release using the following procedure without any more "tether" boots:

http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/how-to-jailbreak-the-apple-tv-2-with-5-3-firmware-and-then-install-and-configure-xbmc-for-dummies/

2- If the answer is yes then can I update from there to Gotham from current version (XBMC Frodo V12.2)?

Regards,

Farhad

Cheoykell04

Sep 9, 2012
florida
just connect apple tv to computer and open seas0npass,click on create ipsw and it will put it to untethered 5.3...once you do that just install xbmc through shsh or nito installer will have latest build of xbmc gotham

Fkashani

Aug 15, 2013
I will do that thanks, one question, once I put the firmware to untethered 5.3, can I just use Nito installer to update XBMC, or do I need to do an install on XBMC. Does it matter that I already have an earlier version frodo 12.2??

Fkashani

Aug 15, 2013
is there a way for me to keep any of the current settings so that I do not have to reinstall them through nFusion?

Fkashani

Aug 15, 2013
TROUBLE PLEASE HELP!!!! I connected the ATV2 and run the latest version of SeasonPass. As soon as I connected my ATV2 it started to download ATV2,1_5.3 etc.....I did not have to even get my device into DFU mode. Well all went well until the end and I got the following error message:

Process failed with reason. Filesystem patches failed.

Please help.

Last edited:

Cheoykell04

Sep 9, 2012
florida
ok factory reset with itunes...then set it up,once you have done that,make sure you have the latest version of seas0npass,and once you have everything ready,connect to seas0npass and click on create ipsw.you might get error getting into dfu mode,just redo also might get error fimware not supported.just close and redo it..will go through.will end up with untethered 5.3

Fkashani

Aug 15, 2013
the last time I tried factory reset with itunes, Apple did something that I ended up with untethered ATV2. are you sure its safe to do a factory reset with itunes and then jailbreak again. This won't fry my Apple TV and make un-jailbreakable??

Fkashani

Aug 15, 2013
Cheoykell PM's me and told me it was safe to do a factory reset through itunes. He was right. The factory reset did not cause me any issues. so I tired seasonpass again and unfortunately the same problem and the same error once again. "Process failed with reason. Filesystem patches failed.

I tired unplugging the power at different stage of running IPSW and it did not help at all.

it seems that MAC's have an issue with the system disk having incorrect permissions. I ran the disk utility and hit repair permissions at least twice and this did not solve the issue either. So stuck at the same place.

Cheoykell suggested I use a PC. I have access to one with Windows 7. I will try that and report back so that others may benefit from this venture.

Cheers

Fkashani

Aug 15, 2013
okay everyone, I got a link to Firecore where they tried to address this issue on a MAC. users suggested to put the Seasonpass on the root directory of the MAC and some had success. So I tried it. It did not work for me. So I went with Cheoykell's suggestion and used a PC instead. well it worked. Going forward I will not use the MACBook Pro to jailbreak.

Now when I tried to save the signature file, I am getting the following errors on the computers:

PC: Can not write signature file or something simple to that effect

MAC: give a more elaborate error message:

SHSH Extraction failed. one or more of the flashed images in the device do not contain an SHSH bobs (usually happens when users find funky tutorials on the web to downgrade without bobs)

So I do not know if this is an important step or not. But I will wait for some feedback before I install XBMC and other apps.

Fkashani

Aug 15, 2013
I am trying, but I can not connect to my ATV2 now!!!

1- SSH [email protected] does not work!
2- NitoTv does not see ATV2
3- I used my terminal and ping the IP address of my Apple TV and I get timed outs

I am stuck again!! I have never seen this in the past. I even release the IP address of my modem, restarted everything over obtaining a new IP address for ATV2. Still same issue, can not connect to it.

Fkashani

Aug 15, 2013
the only solution I found was to connect my ATV2 to the hub with a network cable and also connect my computer to the hub with a separate network cable. Then NitoTv saw the ATV2 and I installed NitoTv on the Apple TV successfully. thanks to all of you for helping me out.

Fkashani

Aug 15, 2013
it seems to be working good. Although this update was a battle for me this time, I could not have been able to do it without your guidance Cheoykell04. Thank you so very much for all your help.