Audio and Video not synched up -mostly in HD streams

vanshorkenstein

Feb 26, 2016
I've had this issue since downloading Kodi 16 on my google xbmc mx quad core box. I basically deleted xbmc and tvmc and started from scratch before downloading kodi 16. I was having this issue with all streams and trailers in pretty much every program I used. Ex**us, Ic*f*lms, etc. Some of it fixed itself as I am now able to use SD streams mostly without issue. But I'm noticing that when I pull up something like a really good quality gvideo stream on Ex**us or other HD streams in other programs that the audio seems to play ahead of the video. SO I hear someone say something but don't see the person saying it til a few seconds later. It's like the video part of the stream won't load, even though according to my bar it is loading fine. I did play with the audio offset function but just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or knows anything about fixing it. Hell I even tested on a cam shot movie on navi and it still did it. I'm hoping someone can help as I've been trying to fix this myself for like a week. Anyway, this is my first time posting in a forum , so hope I'm in the right place. Thank you ahead of time, any input would be appreciated.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Can you check your Hardware Accelerator settings, see if they're on or off?

Are you in a position to try a different HDMI cable?

vanshorkenstein

Feb 26, 2016
Can you check your Hardware Accelerator settings, see if they're on or off?

Are you in a position to try a different HDMI cable?

Hardware accelerator settings are on , don't have a different HDMI cable - it is pretty new though. I'll have to check around that is an idea. Someone in a xbmc group on facebook mentioned the hardware accelerator settings too. They said something about switching to software settings but I did not see that as an option

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Turning Hardware Acceleration Off is done by some people when they have display problems, but it can have the knock-on effect of affecting playback of HD content as all the decoding is then being done by software.

If you only started getting this problem when you installed Kodi 16 then you could try 15.2 and see if that works for you.

vanshorkenstein

Feb 26, 2016
Turning Hardware Acceleration Off is done by some people when they have display problems, but it can have the knock-on effect of affecting playback of HD content as all the decoding is then being done by software.

If you only started getting this problem when you installed Kodi 16 then you could try 15.2 and see if that works for you.
Yea, I've been thinking about trying that .... it sucks not being able to use the good gvideo streams ! Thank u

treffic

Jan 15, 2015
@vanshorkenstein.

Not sure if this will help you, I start the film/programme, Bring up the context menu by pressing OK on my remote.
then scroll along to the speaker icon. press enter.
Then highlight audio offset. press enter, this should put a balance bar at the top of the screen.
Default should be 0.000s.
you can then use the slider bar to move the audio ahead or delay the audio.

you have to move it either way to suit what you are watching. once you are happy then exit it. You could save the setting to be default for all media, but that personal choice I tend not to, as the next one could be synced ok to start with.

Hope that helps you.

vanshorkenstein

Feb 26, 2016
@vanshorkenstein.

Not sure if this will help you, I start the film/programme, Bring up the context menu by pressing OK on my remote.
then scroll along to the speaker icon. press enter.
Then highlight audio offset. press enter, this should put a balance bar at the top of the screen.
Default should be 0.000s.
you can then use the slider bar to move the audio ahead or delay the audio.

you have to move it either way to suit what you are watching. once you are happy then exit it. You could save the setting to be default for all media, but that personal choice I tend not to, as the next one could be synced ok to start with.

Hope that helps you.
Thank you-- yea that does help sometimes. Most of the time though the video is just plain moving too slow while the audio runs at normal speed. This seems now to be mostly with HD or Gvideo streams. Luckily there are usually plenty of decent SD streams . I'm actually at the point now where I don't even bother checking the HD streams

chief

Feb 15, 2016
it's a "hardware" problem. your system can't compute the data stream fast enough to keep audio and video in sync.
if SD streams have no problem you can say for sure this is the problem.

the new kodi 16 (jarvis) uses more cpu than older versions while watching streams, and when you were pushing your device to the limit before in 15.* you will go over the limit for sure with jarvis. this results in audio and video not being in sync on high bitrate video streams.

sometimes fiddling with hardware decoding options (on or off) can smooth things out, also stopping as much other apps as possible. (android apps) and remove all not used add ons from kodi. (the setup wizzard from tvaddons puts a lot add ons on your device that you probably won't ever use, so remove them, don't turn them off.. remove them)

on my old android box (5 years old) for in the garden, i can't use HD streams since it will give the same problems. but i'm content with SD streams on this device since i'm watching on a small (32") screen, and use it more for music.

vanshorkenstein

Feb 26, 2016
Finally - someone else having this issue ! I did try your suggestions and uninstalled all addons I don't use. I only have like 6 on there. The only apps that are there are the one's that came with the box. Got plenty of free space on the box . It's a mx quad core xbmc box . I just emailed the guy I got it from samappletv from googlexbmc.com to see if he has any suggestions as still nothing seems to fix this issue of the video running about a second too slow while the audio runs at normal speed . I appreciate everyone's help but I'm lost. If it is the box itself then I suppose I'll have to try another. He sells a newer octo 5 core box although on tvaddons they say not to buy the pre-loaded boxes but I seriously have no idea where to get anything better. thanks everyone for trying to help

vanshorkenstein

Feb 26, 2016
So it sounds like it just might be the box. Apparently the mx 6 quad core can't handle the new HD streams. Which really sucks cause so much I can't use. Realized yesterday that pretty much everything in Pho*nix had the same problem. Anyone got any advice on a new box that can handle kodi 16 ??? I was reading about the T8-AML-V3-S from entertainment box. Or the M10 octa 5 core from googlexbmctv. Any suggestions would be appreciated .

hammerjammer

Jul 28, 2015
the only thing i can think of doing is either revert back to kodi 15.2 or trying out kodi 16.1. kodi 16.1 solved my issues but they arent the same as yours. maybe worth a try.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Kodi Support 4
W Kodi Support 8
C Resolver Development 1