Backup file getting larger and larger

daflyboys

Aug 27, 2013
Not the end of the world, but each backup file is getting larger. I only keep the latest backup file, which is currently 1.2 GB. I'm assuming it's all of the thumbnails adding up as new material comes out? I don't really have a glut of add-ons (and do not store videos/pics on my flash drive as it is only an 8GB'er) so I'm not sure what else it could be. Is it worth dumping thumbnail files?

bigdogeh

May 6, 2012
use the maintenance tool and delete packages and cache. that will make the backups a bit smaller.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Not the end of the world, but each backup file is getting larger. I only keep the latest backup file, which is currently 1.2 GB. I'm assuming it's all of the thumbnails adding up as new material comes out? I don't really have a glut of add-ons (and do not store videos/pics on my flash drive as it is only an 8GB'er) so I'm not sure what else it could be. Is it worth dumping thumbnail files?
Yes, Generally your find it is the Thumbnails folder.
Certain things that can be done to reduce the size of the backup is..

Delete the Thumbnails folder..
/storage/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails
You will also need to delete the textures13.db
/storage/.kodi/userdata/Textures13.db
You can also delete the packages folder
/storage/.kodi/addons/packages
Then reboot.......

I'm assuming your using openelec if your using raspbmc or Osmc the path will probably be more like /pi/home/.kodi

If you delete the Thumbnails folder you must delete the textures13.db be warned though if you have subcriptions added for tv show kodi will have to re-download the artwork for these so it may be a little slow at displaying artwork.

The maintenance tool won't do much for you, other them clear the cache folder which will be pretty clear on your pi anyway (only Android users need worry about that) ;)

Last edited:

daflyboys

Aug 27, 2013
Thanks for the help. Yes, should have mentioned I'm on OpenElec. Found the textures13.db file in the userdata/Database subfolder. It doesn't seem that large. Thumbnails is definitely the hog.

Brok3n

Mar 8, 2014
Also packages from addon folder is a hog.....contains all zips of addons updated....can get large if not cleared out.

daflyboys

Aug 27, 2013
Were the thumbnails supposed to regenerate for at least my installed add-ons? Not seeing that happening.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Were the thumbnails supposed to regenerate for at least my installed add-ons? Not seeing that happening.
If you delete the thumbnail folder you must delete the texture13.db file otherwise the thumbnails folder will not re- populate.

My previous post may need editing I think it might be in the userdata/database folder ;)

You must reboot as soon as you have deleted this.

Last edited:

daflyboys

Aug 27, 2013
Was pretty sure I did that.... you're right about that location for texture13.

addendum: delete it again and, yes, the thumbs came back, except for the ones that carried over to the favorites.

Last edited: