Request backup programs no longer work

lasko

Dec 4, 2017
Have a fire tv and android box using 17.6. Was using the Kodi BU program on both but the other day I started to get an error when starting up kodi. I then installed the USB wizard backup and the tvaddons bu programs and get an error with both when I try to do a BU. I have changed nothing in my kodi setups and the NAS drive I was backing up to. I also have kodi running on a pc. The kodi backup program also gives me an error but the usb wizard and tvaddons BU programs work fine on the pc. Any ideas?

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
When you say TVAddons BU program, I assume you are talking about the Backup function within Indigo. If so, there is a new Indigo just about ready for release. A few more days and it should be out. Also, if all else fails, there are other backup programs from other devs but can't be named here. You could also back up manually.
Typing this in google
Code:
kodi backup tool
will give you alternatives as well as describing how to manually back up your system.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Some third party addons use 'special characters' in file names or some other 'non-compliant' file name quirk, depending upon the OS this can cause the backup addon to crash... The fact that the PC behaves differently then the android based devices suggest this (or something similar) is the likely cause...

lasko

Dec 4, 2017
BU programs not working

Its strange that the Kodi BU program worked on both devices for weeks and then started to get an error when kodi is started. And now any other BU program I try to run does the same thing. I just tried using a USB drive on the android box to see is the NAS was causing the issue and I get the same results.
What I notice when the kodi bu one worked is that going into System and checking to see what dependencies were running it said 'Backup' which it no longer shows. Wonder if a dependency got deleted or updated along the line and that is whats keepimg any of them from working.
I also noticed that the Indigio log viewer also gets a error message to check the log file when I try to run it.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Dependencies might have become disabled. Go to Kodi settings>addons>my addons>all and see what is disabled. You might be able to enable the culprit.

egd27

Oct 9, 2015
I'm having the same issue getting Backup to run. The timing was poor as I just had a crash and was trying to do a restore

marksinister

Jan 20, 2016
Has anyone solved this issue? For some reason when I open the Kodi Backup tool an error appears.

20:35:08.409 T:7100 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ImportError'>
Error Contents: No module named apiclient.discovery
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\THEUSER\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\scheduler.py", line 9, in <module>
from resources.lib.backup import XbmcBackup
File "C:\Users\THEUSER\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\backup.py", line 7, in <module>
from vfs import XBMCFileSystem,DropboxFileSystem,ZipFileSystem,GoogleDriveFilesystem
File "C:\Users\THEUSER\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\vfs.py", line 9, in <module>
from pydrive.auth import GoogleAuth
File "C:\Users\THEUSER\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\pydrive\auth.py", line 6, in <module>
from apiclient.discovery import build
ImportError: No module named apiclient.discovery
-->End of Python script error report<--

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
I'm having the same issue getting Backup to run. The timing was poor as I just had a crash and was trying to do a restore
Sorry you are having such issue. You can do a manual restore if you want. Just copy your backup to the UserData folder an you should be good to go. The new Indigo should be out soon and fix this problem.

lasko

Dec 4, 2017
I checked the dependencies and a couple only showed orphaned which where most likely from a deleted addon. Last night I plugged in a friends firestick which is almost a duplicate of mine and the same BU error came up. Being that three different BU programs don't work I believe it has something to do with a recent of update of a particular addon that these programs need to run. My whole purpose is to get a backup to an external drive so that I have a good backup if I need to restore any of my devices so I really don't want to use an optional way to backup to the device itself. I get the same error as marksinister and my guess is that everyone using these BU programs are getting the same. I did a complete re-install of kodi and the first thing I did was load the BU programs and try them again with no other addons installed and I get the same results.

lasko

Dec 4, 2017
For clarification I did not have TVaddons or the USB wizard addon installed when the problem first occurred so I would assume something changed with the Kodi BU addon. Is there some handle or dependency that these BU programs are looking for that may have changed or been deleted?

greektycoon

Apr 2, 2016
credit to the original developer ....................

here is backup version 1.1.0 updated

will solve backup 1.0.9 error ;)

download and install from zip .....

and indaglow dont work lol ...............:p

xbmcbackup-master version 1.1.0
Code:
https://codeload.github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup/zip/master

Last edited:

Glennr

Dec 31, 2016
OK, there are two problems that you have to overcome. The first is that newer android versions do not allow writing to a USB drive. You have to create a specific file folder on the flash drive and it is tricky. You must add a folder named Android\ data\org.xbmc.kodi\files . This is the only location that Kodi can write to on external storage. The problem with that is that most file managers will not allow the backslash and will either not do it at all or will replace the backslash with a forward slash or a dash. This will not work. Also the file manager needs to add privileges and many don't or if they do, it is not clear how to do it. I installed at least 15 file managers before I got one that worked. Unfortunately, I don't remember which one it was, other than it was not one of the usual ones. If you have the proper usb connector or adapter cables, you can try connecting the flash drive to a tablet and try to add the file structure there.
The next problem is that I could never get the default Backup program to work even with the proper file structure. So I downloaded and installed the addon **** Wizard. This did the trick. Tip: save the **** Wizard zip file to a usb drive so that you can install it again for a restore in case your Kodi was wiped.
I bricked my box, installed a working firmware, updated Kodi to latest, installed **** Wizard and did a restore. Now I am fully back to where I was before. You can probably do the backup to internal storage but if that gets wiped you will be SOL.

**** = (Alpha, Romeo, Echo, Sierra)

Last edited: