Base model pc for tvmc

bomccorkle

May 29, 2015
Sorry I have looked about and not found much info regarding my question but: I have just began to use tvmc on my desktop and am ready to make the plunge to move it to my tv. I have looked at the Droid boxes and in looking at the specs they seem to be fairly simple machines and my question is; I have found several business refurbs with around 2-3gh processors and from 2-4 gb of ram and was wondering if any of these lower end maxhines ($100-$200) would be capable of running tvmc fluidly on the tv.

Most all I have come across have integrated graphics cards and wasn't sure if this would be a deal buster since the Droid boxes have these as well.

Just thinking it may be easier to get around with a mouse and keyboard as opposed to those goofy little remotes.

Just one of many examples
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-desktop-computer-intel-core-2-duo-2-66-ghz-small-form-factor-white/1312117219.p?id=mp1312117219&skuId=1312117219

Thanks for any help

Bo McCorkle

bomccorkle

May 29, 2015
Excellent. It seems that tvmc doesn't really need a very intensive ram/processor/video card.

Thanks for the help.

tomtomclub

Apr 21, 2013
The Netherlands.usa
you may be better once something good buy four himself better to buy asrock all at one no video card required 74euro trx powere 50 euro hdmi cec 50 euro closet 35 euro

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
Without knowing your exact needs for Kodi I would say you're on the right track looking at x86 based hardware,
however unless you have money to burn I would suggest ignoring those power hungry refurbs, if your needs are basic and you want a Windows based environment you may be better off looking into the many Intel Baytrail powered mini PC's now available,
if you only want Kodi connected to your TV a Chromebox would fit slap bang into the middle of your price range and there is a very comprehensive guide at the kodi.tv forums on how to set one up.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Sorry I have looked about and not found much info regarding my question but: I have just began to use tvmc on my desktop and am ready to make the plunge to move it to my tv. I have looked at the Droid boxes and in looking at the specs they seem to be fairly simple machines and my question is; I have found several business refurbs with around 2-3gh processors and from 2-4 gb of ram and was wondering if any of these lower end maxhines ($100-$200) would be capable of running tvmc fluidly on the tv.

Most all I have come across have integrated graphics cards and wasn't sure if this would be a deal buster since the Droid boxes have these as well.

Just thinking it may be easier to get around with a mouse and keyboard as opposed to those goofy little remotes.

Just one of many examples
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-desktop-computer-intel-core-2-duo-2-66-ghz-small-form-factor-white/1312117219.p?id=mp1312117219&skuId=1312117219

Thanks for any help

Bo McCorkle
It doesn't seem to have a HDMI cable. Seems to have only VGA port. I guess that means no HD but should still work for SD pic.

bobsworld

Apr 21, 2015
Rocky Mount VA
You can check ebay, they have similar in 64bit OS e8400 with 4 gigs ram upgradeable to much more don't remember. It was i believe hp 8000 elite for less and free shipping. Throw in a 25 dollars graphics card that does sound over hdmi and your golden.

bobsworld

Apr 21, 2015
Rocky Mount VA
Just wanted to add that everyone has great ideas especially the person with the power saving newer device, when you do not have a device it pays to get one that is of the times and is efficient. But I do believe in using some of this so called e waste it is still good for something and streaming video, playing hi def video surfing the Internet in your living room it works.

ronscat

May 15, 2015
I have a Ouya that was around $100 on Ebay. It works pretty good. I also have an old 2009 mac mini that I just updated to the latest Kodi download. It works really good and I got it for a good price. Also got a new 4k Sony smart tv. Kodi is one of the apps on it and it works good enough. Several of the new chrome boxes or chrome books with openelec would be a good deal and low power users.

Lee G

Apr 3, 2015
Spain
Depending on your price range, research the Zotac mini desktops

Im waiting on one at the moment in my own migration from an Android box to a fully functional mini windows pc

The ZBOX-BI320 has a good name on the Kodi forum

The one I ordered comes with 2gig of ram, 64gig ssd and windows 8.1
Easy enough to add extra ram and a second hard disk for more storage

Plus you can get 7.1 sound through the hdmi and it has SPDIF

I cant give an opinion yet since mine is in the post

Looking at Amazon Com, the ZBOX-BI320-U-W2 model is about $215

nemsis72

Jul 17, 2015
Boston
You can look into an HP Stream Mini Pc. Windows 8.1 bing. $178.00 on Amazon. Great mini windows pc has an hdmi output for your tv. 2gb. Ram, 32gb. Storage. Kodi works great on it.