Be gentle....newbie here! Should I alter cache to zero to help with buffering ?

BRACHETTHECUB

Jul 25, 2015
Hi all-1st post & I'm really really not technical so if any of you kind folks could guide me through in baby language....(!).

I'm UK based & have a fire stick. Unfortunately my internet connection is 5.9mps (crappy Sky!) & at firestick source it'll be much lower I guess as its downstairs on wireless (router is upstairs where the only master socket is).. I am looking to change to BT infinity soon (fibre). I've downloaded the TVMC custom...WOW WOW WOW! It's FAB. As the fire stick has this 'ASAP' thingy it certainly doesn't buffer all the time (some add on sites for movies are better than others....Genisys is my fave at the mo-Ted 2 in 1080p didn't stick once). I also clear the TVMC cache before use.

I've been reading about having/altering cache to zero-would this be of any advantage? I mainly watch the odd HD film, G/F watches live French TV (haven't found it on TVMC yet-sure it's there but at mo she has an app on firestick called Mobdro that we use) & she also goes onto stream all sources add on for TVMC for box sets of Dr Who, Pioneer Woman, Poirot etc.

We only have the fire stick & a small tenda broadband bridger (for sky catch up)...we at the mo do not have smart phones or tablets.

So...if it's ok with you guys if I could ask the questions one by one?

1-Is it worth setting cache to zero on TVMC?

2-Whilst on this slowish speed-any other hits/tips to avoid sticking/buffering?

3-Any apps/add-ons to actually discover the REAL broadband connection speed at Source-ie the speed firestick is getting from the wifi signal?

Any help would be fab!

waspish

May 17, 2012
I've done it on my fire stick but I haven't got 6mb speed it's 50. also certain plugins give you an opportunity to set video standard from 1080 to 266 I've set mine to 480p

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Zero cache will do nothing if your source is slow, I'd avoid it. It causes more problems than it solves.

Rodogg

Aug 11, 2013
I've got a firestick and a slow connection.

My advise is that you can do the zero cache if you choose. keep in mind that what it does is allow more of the current video file to be temporarily downloaded in the background while you are watching it. i have seen cases where the video does itch (video doesnt download as fast as the playback is running) but all in all, i think it works.

I also stay away from HD files, this helps as well. lower quality means smaller size which means faster downloads which means fluid playback.

The apps are never actually the problem. the problem is the host website (where the video files are stored). if you find one that works well, continue looking for that source. i would say, try to find at least 3 sources that work well for you (putlocker, vodlocker, hugefiles, etc). i have found great luck with vodlocker

BRACHETTHECUB

Jul 25, 2015
Thanks guys....will be looking at vodlocker & the other 3 & having a play round with resolution. I know that on for example, genesis you can alter playback resolution, but as I down loaded the custome TVMC the resolution for other apps (example being vevo where I can't seem to alter resolution) is set at 1080-which for example causes say Taylor Swifts HD bad blood video to buffer every 10 secs or so (I'm not a Taylor swift fan lol-but G/F loves apps like musicmatch which is HD & has words at bottom so she can sing along...my time for the pub lol!).

Overall I'm well happy with firestick as it buffers much much less than my main pc due to this ASAP 'learning' of your connection & browsing habits.

Looks like I'm stuck with Sky as on doing some research yesterday there are NO fibre optic providers or cable to my house!

crawl

May 7, 2012
Kansas City, MO
First, ASAP only works with Amazon Prime video streaming. It does nothing for XBMC/KODI/TVMC or any other plugin.

Second, zero cache does not reduce buffering. It simply transfers the cache to a different location. It doesn't affect the rate of download from remote servers, which is what causes buffering. It changes the cache location and size, allowing you to save to hard drive space instead of RAM, and allowing you to save more of the video to cache. But neither of those things reduce buffering. And in some cases, changing the cache settings can make things worse.

Best bet is to learn which actual sources give you the best performance and try and stick to those sources in each of the different plugins, and stick with lower resolution versions.

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
thats all i do,just trial and error with all the different sources till i get a decent balance,be it an hd or mq source.

BRACHETTHECUB

Jul 25, 2015
Thanks! Now Sky have....ahem 'improved' my speed to 5.92 from 5.2....& I've used an app to find the channel with best wireless (not a lot of difference but it all helps)-the buffering issue is 95% gone! Thanks again for taking the time/trouble to help me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Kodi Support 1
B Video Addons 11
G Welcome Centre 0