Best box on the market to run xbmc?????

Monchyarla

Nov 1, 2013
Hi I'm looking for the best reccomended box that runs xbmc-pre installed,preferably with airplay if possible,and any suggestions would be appreciated,thanks

Had Apple TV 3 but sold it as couldn't wait any longer for j.break ;-)

May 6, 2012
I personally use my Mac Mini for my main media center but the second one is a Fire. I find it to be the best bang for your buck. I use Gotham 13.2 with most addons from this awesome site. Rarely do I see any issues and wifi is pretty good as well.

edge

Aug 9, 2013
have got the AFTV, its has been the best out of the tree boxes i have had

geoluv

Apr 5, 2013
its either the amazon fire tv stick which is on sale for $24 right now at staples and best buy or the OG amazon fire tv which can be had for $74 right now. unfortunately airplay is something you'll have top rig up yourself and its buggy right now on on my fire stick when done through native airplay in XBMC. not sure how good it works with one of those airplay apps side loaded cause i haven't done it yet to my fire stick but the reports are that it works well. the stick is bare bones, IMO it can just barely stream a 1080p video high bitrate with 7.1 audio. but its does it, and for pretty much all videos you'll find from the conventional streaming sites like ice films or N*viX scrapers. the OG fire tv has more muscle, so its better for gamers, and it comes with the voice remote which is something i desperately wish i had for my fire stick, the extra $50 for the OG fire tv is almost worth it for the mic'ed remote.

There is a third option if you want airplay to work flawlessly in XBMC, and that is linux. i find that airplay works pretty good on my devices running xbmc in linux, like my appletv1 running crystalbuntu (although not as perfectly as on an apple tv 3 obviously).

you don't want to get any non-name brand boxes, lots of tinkering, crappy remotes if they even come with one. the remotes for the fire tv's are bluetooth so you don't have to even point the remote at the tv. its cool cause you can completely hide the fire stick behind the tv.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Most will answer here fire tv,but if you have some money to spend you can get a lot better. Now, you ask it has to have xbmc preinstalled, fire tv does not offer this. I just bought a ugoos ut3 with 4gb ram and 32gb drive, and t764 video output chipset and xbmc comes preinstalled. This thing is superfast, super clear resolution, rock solid operation. I highly recommend it but its costly- almost 200 smackers, but you won't have to worry about something better coming along anytime soon.

Just giving a different opinion, idea.

edited to add minix x8-h they just released their new update and its fantastic. And never forget the OUYA its a gem and very inexpensive too.

Last edited:

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
which minix version would that be they release so many
thank you
I bought my minixx8-h back in June, was using the stock version 001 firmware that it came with, things were good, we waited months and months as they strung us along week by week. Finally yesterday they release the stock firmware version 002. I test it out everything is slick as nails, I never really experienced problems with the stock firmware but some people who were trying to watch exotic video like 1080p 50Hz, had problems, other exotic formatted video watchers also had issues. A lot of folks were mad at minix for selling a box that the firmware wasn't 100% working right. They finally made it right as of yesterday and I can confirm it works great.

Sorry for the long winded story, but in my review of minix they good ole boys over there after all. For the record, I can hardly tell any difference between the minix x8-h and the ugoos ut3

Last edited: