best settings to convert dvd to mp4 help req please?....

sadsack

Dec 9, 2013
Hi all,

I've been searching for what seems weeks to try and find a simple but descent DVD converter.... I've looked at items from Wondershare, Xilisoft, xmedia recode, aimersoft, handbrake, mediacoder, Super, and a whole host of others....

What I DO NOT need is the ability to convert to sony psp, samsung (anything) or any phone whatsoever.

What I do need is to be able to keep the same dimensions as on the original DVD, preferably 720p, with a file size of about 1.5 to 2gb for a 1.5 hr movie. (not worried about black bars, as I just want the same as from DVD).

I know this may sound simple, but I've spent hours with handbrake, following lots of tuts, and even when I've used the same settings as tuts have shown, my conversions always end up being too small i.e. 7-900mb for a 1.5 hr movie with poor quality.

I know it's possible because there seems to be lots of people doing exactly what I need but trying to find a good uptodate tut or info that isn't 3 or 4 years old is becoming very difficult to find.

So almost as a last resort, I thought I would come here to see if anyone could point me in the right direction, to either software or tut or general help, as I'm gradually running out of hair to pull.

Any help would be really useful chaps...
sadsack.

p.s. if anyone is wondering why I haven't chosen mkv its based on size/quality as I've found a good quality mkv is anything from 3 to 7gb, that's a little to big for my needs.

As an example of what i tried I had a go at this...

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/40457-best-setting-for-ripping-dvds/

but my conversions just ended up being to small and not the 1.5 to 2 gb that I was after as I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

startreksuite

May 4, 2014
I have used magic dvd copier to rip a dvd, and then convert it with Freemake to an mp4 (ipad format). I have also converted it to dvd quality using it as well, with good results.

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
There are tons of good converters out there, a great source of tools and info can be found at video help.
Code:
www.videohelp.com
HDconvertToX is my favoured encoder, its not a one click solution but its not too hard to master either.
If you go for it I would definitely update the x264.exe that comes with it. Just DL and replace.

For DVDs about 1.3gb use a bit rate of 1500 and about 1800/1900 for 2gb.
Keep the original audio and no resize and crop.
There are a lot of options in this app that you probably won't use like compression analyitics, bitrate calc, etc.
There's a good guide over at afterdawn
Code:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/encoding_with_hdconverttox.cfm
I would stick with mkv, mp4 can be a pain.
Extra audio, subs etc can be added so easily to mkv.

The filesize of the mkvs you mention are probably for HD files. Mkv is just a container like mp4, avi, mpeg, etc the files can be any size at all.