Best under $200 Laptop / tablet for Kodi

Bobfather

Dec 13, 2014
Hi,
In your opinion what is the best Laptop or Tablet for Kodi for less then $200. I am having trouble finding something portable for Kodi.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Get a newer Chromebook with Chrome OS v53 or newer, if you want a low cost laptop... Then just install the Google play store and install Kodi...

If you want a budget tablet, get a Kindle Fire and sideload Kodi...

Bobfather

Dec 13, 2014
Let me clarify > I need something I can just download and use Kodi. . I tried a kindle fire and could not figure it out. I think I'm going with a windows machine. I know it, and installing Kodi is simple.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
It's really not complicated to side load Kodi on a Kindle, if you can't be bothered to figure it out, changes are you are going to have continued problems with Kodi as well as it's rarely always plug and play, sometimes you have to get your feet wet...

There are 101 step by step tutorials online to side load apps onto the Kindle, what part of side loading Kodi could you not figure out about the Kindle?

Bobfather

Dec 13, 2014
I never tried a Kindle but had a Fire Tablet. At the time these forums were down. And I don't trust any other site. I can download Kodi add fusion then let the configure tool, then FreeTelly, and now Indigo, set me up and I'm ready to go in a few minutes. At the end of the month I will be sleeping on a friends couch. While there I will not have access to my PC that I watch Kodi on. So I am looking for something inexpensive and easy to watch Kodi on. Because if I had any money I could afford an apartment. And while I give you my life story, I sometimes get hand tremors making using a touch screen or keyboard damn near impossible.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
I never tried a Kindle but had a Fire Tablet.
The Fire Tablet is just the re-imaging of the Kindle now that they are full featured tablets...

As I suggested, if I was going to use a 'low cost' tablet it would be a Kindle aka Fire tablet as IMO dollar for dollar you get more then you will with almost every other tablet out there as far as low end tablets go... I would avoid the cheap Chinese no name tablets like the plague... If you need the more complete Android experience you can even root the Fire/Kindle and install the Google Play store...

And/or as I said get a newer Chromebook with Chrome OS version 53 our newer (most current models) be it touch screen or not, many of them already have the Google Play store installed, so it's just a matter of clicking on the Play Store and i stalling Kodi... Many of these Chromebooks can be had for under $200 nowadays and some are convertible so they fold flat just like a tablet or can be used like a traditional laptop...

I just purchased three convertible Acer touch screen Chromebooks for my kids, they love them...

Bobfather

Dec 13, 2014
I took part of your advice I bought a Fire/Kindle tablet. I won't have it till next week. Could you reply with a link to set up Kodi on it please.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Go to the main page of this site, click the install tab, click the install for Amazon Fire TV, the instructions should be close enough for you to accomplish it...

Bobfather

Dec 13, 2014
On the Amazon site are instructions on adding Google play store to a Fire/kindle tablet. If I add the play store can I download Kodi from there, or would I still have to side load?

Bobfather

Dec 13, 2014
Hey thanks Meep. Got my tablet today, added Google Play store, and Kodi. Now when I am homeless later this month I can at least watch TV. Adding Google play was much easier then sideloading IMHO.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Hey thanks Meep. Got my tablet today, added Google Play store, and Kodi. Now when I am homeless later this month I can at least watch TV. Adding Google play was much easier then sideloading IMHO.
Yes, it's exponentially easier, but not always an option as there are some apps that are not available int he play store, and/or some like myself have 100s of 'paid' apps (they used to give one paid app away every day, so I collected a lot) in the Amazon store, so that requires side loading if I want to use them on the Chromebook...

If what you need is available in the Play store, by all means don't deal with side loading on a Chromebook...

littlebe123

Nov 29, 2014
Hey Bobfather, could you point me in the right direction of "On the Amazon site are instructions on adding Google play store to a Fire/kindle tablet". I couldn't find anything on the Amazon site about how to add google play store to a fire tv. thanks LB

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla

ley berry

May 23, 2017
Dundas, Ontario
LG G Pad (V522)

Hey. If you're looking for a great little tablet that works well with Kodi and has lots of good features, check out LG's v-522. This is a very portable device with an extendable USB port (for charging, mouse, lighting, extended memory, etc.) screen casting, Android 7. It is just over $200, but well worth it. Comparible Samsungs with less features are more than double the cost.

ratty

Feb 17, 2017
Hey. If you're looking for a great little tablet that works well with Kodi and has lots of good features, check out LG's v-522. This is a very portable device with an extendable USB port (for charging, mouse, lighting, extended memory, etc.) screen casting, Android 7. It is just over $200, but well worth it. Comparible Samsungs with less features are more than double the cost.
awesome. Thanks a lot.