Beyond Frustrated with AFTV Stick

Freshontheboat

Jun 23, 2015
Okay so first off I have an AFTV box that I set up about a month ago and had zero issue with installing Kodi, FireStarter and every add-on in the world (well almost) all by using ADBFire 1.25 and 1.28 when I installed FireStarter. With the great success I had with the box we decided that a stick would be the next choice for less used TV's in the house. Unfortunately this is where the headache begins..... After configuring ADBFire for the stick, starting the server, connecting to the device all without issue when I attempt to sideload the Kodi.apk the status bar at the bottom right continues to advance to "100%" only to begin again. In fact this continued for over 12 hours (left it running while going to work). So after that I decided to reference the Wiki Page again to ensure I wasn't forgetting the simple steps from my original install... I'll speed this up the following are the steps that I have tried to correct the issue with ADBFire and other avenues I have tried;
- tried both ver. of ADBFire
- Verified updated version of Kodi
- Tried TVMC modded version of Kodi
- Verified both settings on AFTV stick are turned to on position
- Factory Reset and then started over
- Installed ADB Command for windows and tried manually installing (ADB Daemon out of date error)

There has certainly been other things but these are the highlights. As a side note I was able to side load FireStarter.apk and the Amazon appstore.apk without issue (before the factory reset; have not tried since)

Help me out if anyone can

May 6, 2012
I find using command window on my mac works very well but that requires you to install android sdk and of course a mac. Make sure adb is enabled on the stick and maybe try a factory reset

millerlite1127

Feb 21, 2013
Hamden, CT
There might be a fix but all I can do is tell you how I installed Kodi on the aftv stick earlier today. On android there is an app called apps2fire. Download or move the apks to you phone(assuming you have a droid I don't know if it's available for idevices.) Open the app and follow the instructions. Took about 15 minutes from unboxing to customizing Kodi.

Freshontheboat

Jun 23, 2015
I find using command window on my mac works very well but that requires you to install android sdk and of course a mac. Make sure adb is enabled on the stick and maybe try a factory reset
I installed the android SDK on my PC yesterday to attempt the "manual" approach AFTER I had triple checked the adb setting on the AFTV stick and did a factory reset at a different point.

Freshontheboat

Jun 23, 2015
There might be a fix but all I can do is tell you how I installed Kodi on the aftv stick earlier today. On android there is an app called apps2fire. Download or move the apks to you phone(assuming you have a droid I don't know if it's available for idevices.) Open the app and follow the instructions. Took about 15 minutes from unboxing to customizing Kodi.
Unfortunately I am an Apple user :(

Thanks though!

j.bond

Nov 17, 2012
@Freshontheboat, are you trying to side load via wireless?
I've noticed that I have to use hardline (cable) to side load at times, even having to reboot my PC.

Freshontheboat

Jun 23, 2015
@Freshontheboat, are you trying to side load via wireless?
I've noticed that I have to use hardline (cable) to side load at times, even having to reboot my PC.
Yes I am going wireless at both ends; I did attempt to plug the Stick directly into my laptops HDMI and USB ports HOPING that I could side load the stick as a USB device through ADBFire; no luck though. I think I am correct to say that the only function of the USB on the stick is to provide additional power for the device.

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
Yes I am going wireless at both ends; I did attempt to plug the Stick directly into my laptops HDMI and USB ports HOPING that I could side load the stick as a USB device through ADBFire; no luck though. I think I am correct to say that the only function of the USB on the stick is to provide additional power for the device.
It's the stick, so wireless is your only option as it has no ethernet. The USB is the only source of power as they are not powered by HDMI.

I've seen this looping of progress bar once on mine but I just used a different version of ADBFire and it was fine. Jocala is the dev, he might be able to help if you PM him or ask via his site?

Freshontheboat

Jun 23, 2015
It's the stick, so wireless is your only option as it has no ethernet. The USB is the only source of power as they are not powered by HDMI.

I've seen this looping of progress bar once on mine but I just used a different version of ADBFire and it was fine. Jocala is the dev, he might be able to help if you PM him or ask via his site?
Thanks for the info bullsboy. Much appreciated.

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
i know you are on mac,i still use version 1.14 of adbfire.works fine and connects to all my sticks and aftv.i get the update to version 1.28 but just ignore that.this is through a windows laptop but i advise people to use an older version of adbfire aswell.

tool462h

Apr 3, 2014
New York, I mean... Kansas
This has happened to me NUMEROUS times with the AFTV boxes on a laptop (Microsoft). You need to refresh your modem and router. The signal strength may be going in and out while the progression of the program is being loaded and causing the program to disrupt. I now just take everything upstairs near my network [wireless] (hook box to tv in bedroom) and install the APK from there, and then move to the room in the house that the device will go to and configure from there. Hope that helps.

Freshontheboat

Jun 23, 2015
This has happened to me NUMEROUS times with the AFTV boxes on a laptop (Microsoft). You need to refresh your modem and router. The signal strength may be going in and out while the progression of the program is being loaded and causing the program to disrupt. I now just take everything upstairs near my network [wireless] (hook box to tv in bedroom) and install the APK from there, and then move to the room in the house that the device will go to and configure from there. Hope that helps.
Thanks for that... I might give that another try as I have had issues in the past with my FiOS Router being a POS!

JON35Y

Jul 4, 2015
I use fire tv utility app. It's so easy to use and works really well. Look it up. You can't go wrong

lgoodknight

May 28, 2013
Rock Island Arsenal IL
I had this happen to me when using a PC to adb into the stick. When I use ADBFire on my Mac I have no issues at all and even did a stick this am with the latest ADBFire and Macbook.
I would go into stick and uninstall old KODI first.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
If your on Mac I'd suggest going to Activity monitor then network tab. Look for an "adb" processes and quit them, probably quit adbfire too & relaunch.
I've found having adb and fastboot installed is useful in case 3rd party programs fail.

stryfe1986

Jun 23, 2015
Brownsville, TX
I've been doing Fire Sticks day in and day out and only once I encountered this issue.
The reason it did it for me was because I had my phone connected via USB.

I am not sure if adbfire is designed to use USB plugged in devices as primary device but as soon as I disconnected my phone I did the install again and BAM worked just fine and haven't had any issues since. I've sideloaded both TVMC and Kodi with success.

dunno if you have any other devices plugged into your USB ports. However I would give that a shot, unplug USB devices and give it a shot.