Black screen on Amazon Fire TV..

TheSponge

May 25, 2014
Hey guys,

The amazon fire tv I setup last week for a friend was working great when I used it etc. So I send the device up to him.. anyways he's telling me now that when he plugs the device in all he gets is a black screen. I had it all rooted etc, disabled updates.

The light flashes white and then nothing on the device itself.. they tried unplugging it etc and nothing seems to change.

Any idea what's going on here? The thing worked perfectly fine at my place for almost a week and I had it loaded on with XBMC etc..

Last edited:

Paul1672

Oct 10, 2013
Hey guys,

The amazon fire tv I setup last week for a friend was working great when I used it etc. So I send the device up to him.. anyways he's telling me now that when he plugs the device in all he gets is a black screen. I had it all rooted etc, disabled updates.

The light flashes white and then nothing on the device itself.. they tried unplugging it etc and nothing seems to change.

Any idea what's going on here? The thing worked perfectly fine at my place for almost a week and I had it loaded on with XBMC etc..
Don't suppose u had a hard drive connected to it did you?

This happened to me once and I had to do a full re-install and only thing I could point it to was the fact I had my hard drive attached to it before I sent it out and when the guy received it he had a black screen. Not sure why this happened or even if it was due to the hard drive being connected when I did the install but all was good again once I did a fresh install

Paul

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
I don't follow the flashing light but has he tried on multiple tv's? I have many tv's and some older ones just won't do a proper dhcp handshake with fire tv and ps3. Sometimes this is fixed by powercycling and switching to older cable like 1.0 but if it's possible he should try it on another tv

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
I'll bet money they have it on the wrong input. Even when I have had issues with FIRE TV's I have a grey, or free, screen. Never BLACK. Could it be that simple?

TheSponge

May 25, 2014
Issue resolved..

It's a TV issue, they plugged it into a another tv newer, brand name - and it worked right away.

Must be something with older TV's perhaps

Don_black

May 25, 2012
I used stick mount to add games and other stuff to FTV, I would remove EX. HDD, and install it back. No problems I suspect this is maybe a input or as some of you suggested. Older TV...... This is not a FTV issue was able to see FTV menus if he can see that then it is bad installation of XBMC.