Box going into sleep mode

vulcan

Feb 24, 2013
Just set up an X96 with android 6 and Kodi 17.1. If I pause a movie the bottom icons show as "paused" but the top right slider display shows as "seeking" and there is no buffering progress showing in either. If I turn the TV off, after an hour, the X96 goes into "sleep" mode and I lose my program. I have tried everything including disabling the sleep function in settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
The "no buffering" issue may be due to some sites switching to a mode similar to Live Mode. It is almost a 1:1 direct play with no buffering. Problem is if your internet has a bump in any way, you lose the stream. There are still some sites not using this streaming mode but you need to find them and note which are still good.

As for going to sleep, my Shield does the same thing. I have yet to find a solution as to how to stop it from going to sleep. It seems it possibly is the device screen saver takes over even when Kodi is awake but not streaming.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
As for going to sleep, my Shield does the same thing. I have yet to find a solution as to how to stop it from going to sleep. It seems it possibly is the device screen saver takes over even when Kodi is awake but not streaming.
This worked for me - After you've enabled Developer Mode on your Android you can go into the Developer Options where there's a switch called "Stay Awake". If you enable this it overrides the Sleep Mode settings and keeps everything alive.

vulcan

Feb 24, 2013
Thanks Stoofer. That sounds promising. Can you give me the directions in detail to find the Developer Mode please ?

Update: Did a quick Google and found how. Thanks again guys. Your help is muchly appreciated !

Last edited:

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
No probs. If you want a Bonus do what you did to get into Developer Mode but on the Android Version Number instead, especially if you are running Lollipop :)

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Thanks Stoofer. I was able to disable the sleep option in the developer mode. So this should still allow it to sleep while out of Kodi though (i standby), right?

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
No...this turns off Sleep completely, your device will not go into Sleep mode at all, wherever you are.

Not sure if this overide can itself be overriden by an installed Android app or widget though, never really wanted it to behave other than a global Do Not Sleep.