broken things

bmike1

Feb 4, 2013
I watched a little XBMC and then walked away and did something for like one half hour. Well, when I came back an info window was up saying something was marked as broken and if I wanted to disable it (I think it said) in the repository. I clicked No and then another appeared saing something else was broken and then asked me the same question. Abot ten info windows appeared, each saying something different was broken and asking if I wanted to disable it. What does this mean and is there anything I should do?

rkogen

Jun 9, 2013
These are just addons or programs that no longer work, so they are marked as "broken". Nothing to worry about, you can click "yes" and that will remove them from the addons. I think you may be using a version of Gotham XBMC and if so I think there are some issues with some addons not beind compatible. Hope this helps.

bmike1

Feb 4, 2013
well, the version was the version before Gotham but I went to see what the nAme of it was but XBMC seems to have upgraded itself so when I started it up the version is now Gotham. I really wish they would have asked me if I wanted to upgrade! I would have said 'no' as I had no problems. Besides that I never install release candidates! They should (if they aren't going to ask) wait until the final version before forcing it on us.

Last edited:

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
xbmc does not upgrade, you can check your version by going to system/system info in xbmc.

bmike1

Feb 4, 2013
well, tell me what it did then? It wasn't Gotham but now it is. Well, system info doesn't say it is Gotham; it says it is 13.1 RC1, but when I first start XBMC it says it is Gotham

Krunchy

Sep 25, 2013
USA
Hi bmike 1,

spanky's correct. XBMC will not upgrade itself. But if you're on Linux, XBMC is incorporated into the basic update system and it WILL upgrade you from Frodo to Gotham.

Windows will not do that; you need to intentionally upgrade it.

Don't use one of the boxes, or a Mac, so I can't speak to those.

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
What hardware are you running? I would guess its an Android box with a linux image installed from the information you've supplied so far in which case it should be possible to source the image and reinstall it, if x86 hardware the same applies but its probably easier to find a version of Frodo from the mirrors site that xbmc.org run to reinstall, although you'll find increasing incompatibility problems with either if your hardware is not compatible with Gotham

bmike1

Feb 4, 2013
My hardware is OLD. We're talking early 2000s. I installed Linux mx14 on an IBM Netvista and it screams! A minute to load and 10 seconds to shutdown. It has an nvidia GeForce FX 5200 and a gig of memory. The CPU is a pentium IV running at 1.6 Ghz. Everything is fine right now so I'm not going to worry about it.

Last edited: