Can I actually run XBMC from a USB on my ATV1 ?

JIMS2851

Jun 8, 2013
Edinburgh
Hi Folks
Although I've enjoyed many years of fun with my ATV1 I have to admit that I never really understood how it all worked and now find myself out of my depth once again..... hopefully someone here will be able to help!

I have had XBMC running Eden on my ATV1 for some time now but recently more and more of the addons have stopped working. I'm guessing that this is because I'm stuck with Eden and everyone else has moved on to bigger and better things?

I've spent a few hours trying to find a solution here and have stumbled across solutions that involve Crystalbuntu and/or Openelec. One post, from Surfer, gave me the impression that it is now possible to run a more current XBMC from a USB stick - or am I deluded? Do I simply download the Crystalbuntu Image Installer zip file to a stick and do a USB install?

If it is really that simple.... how do I then access the XBMC interface? Will I still retain all the normal functioning with my ATV (iTunes etc.) or is that wiped? What are the pitfalls of running XBMC this way? Does it need a particular type of usb stick?

Thank you in advance for any help!

bugvert

Jan 8, 2013
Yes, it is that simple.
You can retain your original Apple OS on your harddrive and run off the USB stick. You can simply unplug the USB stick if you want to use any of the Apple stuff and plug it back in when you want to use XBMC. Nice thing is that it boots directly into XBMC!
Only pitfall is the Apple TV only has 1 USB port, so you cant plug in a keyboard or something else.
I've had good success using 8GB Sandisk USB

FaitAccompli

Jan 10, 2014
Hello.. How Do I create an xbmc USB stick for my apple tv 1st generation? .. I'd rather make for myself than buy from ebay

FaitAccompli

Jan 10, 2014
Thanks Bunches Al Bundy!! .. My ATV 1 doesn't have crystalbuntu I don't really care for it .. The picture looks too fake for my liking.. Do you by chance have a link for an original ATV 1 .. With same instructions for creating USB stick :)

P.S. Sorry for late THANK YOU !! Holidays an all:p

bugvert

Jan 8, 2013
FaitAccompli not sure what you mean by fake. The installer looks a little simple-ish (Kinda like old DOS) but once installed the Crystalbuntu linux boots smoothly and goes straight into the XBMC. Give it a try you wont be disappointed. :cool:

AlBundy

Nov 27, 2013
Yorkshire
Sorry for the late reply FaitAccompli but I can hardly ever get these forums to load these days, I haven't been able to get on at all for a couple of weeks now.
Not sure what you mean by original ATV 1? The instructions on that link I gave are for the ATV 1. Crystalbuntu is a sort of minimal version of ubuntu that boots straight into xbmc. Just make the usb stick, restart the ATV with the stick in and you're good to go.