Can I still upgrade my ATV 2 jailbreak from 5.0.2 to 5.3?

maxballin

Jan 3, 2013
I currently have an Apple TV 2 that's jailbroken on 5.0.2. I'd like to upgrade the jailbreak to 5.3, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to and I'll lose my jailbreak altogether if I restore the device.

Can somebody please let me know whether it's possible for me to do this and, if it is, provide a link to step-by-step instructions that I can follow (as I'm not the most tech-savvy person)?

Thanks so much.

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
1st question would be why do you want to update the firmware... if primary use is xbmc then theirs little point as you get no extra features

maxballin

Jan 3, 2013
I want to update the firmware because a) 5.3 is faster and b) it offers apps that aren't available on 5.0.2 (most notably, ESPN Watch).

Is it possible for me to do this and, if so, how should I go about it?

Thank you.

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
I don't know about 5.3 being faster but tread carefully if you wish to upgrade and still be abale to jailbreak.

I think Crusader88 is the ATV2 expert here so hopefully he may jump in to help you.

I assume you have read the ATV sticky's and posts here and read up over at Firecores website.

Jstraw

Jun 2, 2014
yes, i need help with this answer as well. I am on 5.2... i would like to know if apple is still signing 5.3 and if i even need a signed version. i think only able to run on 5.3, i could be mistaken.

Jstraw

Jun 2, 2014
I believe they are still signing 5.3, but try a jb with seasonpass and if they have stopped it will not work and you lost nothing.
can you elaborate on that a little... i bought mine already jailbroken. I am familiar with evasion and have used ones before that but i know nothing about season pass. if you could, can you maybe give me a play by play? I am terrified that ill lose my jailbreak.

kcaly

Jan 5, 2013
Van City
I updated one of my ATV 2s to 5.3 roughly month ago using the same method lgoodknight referred to. Worked like a charm and never had any of the usual error messages. I used a Macbook to update FWIW. I remember before I used to get random error messages when I tried updating with a Windows PC.