Can I still use Frodo

Bumper

Aug 8, 2014
I recently purchased a G-Box (MX android box to be exact) with XBMC pre-istalled, when i set it up it is running frodo rather than gotham or kodi. I haven't got a clue when it comes to installing and updating so can I just continue to use frodo or will I encounter problems as it is an old platform?

I only use it to watch video add ons such as genesis and Spo*ts De*il but somebody told me I may experience extreme buffering and out of sync video.

Any help would be appreciated.

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
you are more likely to encounter script errors as support for the older platforms is dropped.
you should at least upgrade to gotham for now.
moving on to helix/kodi is best but i would leave it a little while yet until all the devs have upgraded their addons, skins, etc.

buffering and out of sync i cant really see, just because its older.
i dont see the two being related, but i could be wrong.

Bumper

Aug 8, 2014
Ok, thanks for that. Guess I'll have to Google how to update from Frodo to Gotham & hope it's just a case of putting some firmware onto a memory stick & plugging it into the box - that's about as far as my IT skills go.

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
To Uninstall XBMC:

Step 1: Go to SETTINGS

Step 2: Choose APPS

Step 3:Choose XBMC and then uninstall the app.

To Reinstall XBMC:

the Download for xbmc can be found here http://xbmc.org/download/

Step 1: Download the file and copy to your SD card.

Step 2:Go to the App menu on your box (where you launch XBMC, Play Store, etc)

Step 3:Choose the App Installer (top left-hand corner, it should be the first app in the menu)

Step 4: You will be prompted to choose a source – choose External

Step 5: You will see the XBMC – choose the file and click Install

Laser915

Jan 11, 2013
I would change to openelec, since i started using that with Kodi 14.0 my MX2 has worked great and the gaphics for 1080 is better. My 5 cents.