Can I use restore on adbfire to move a FireTV backup to a Fire Tablet?

DGM

Aug 20, 2014
Howdy folks,

So, in my house I use 3 Firesticks and 1 Fire TV box and all work great (thanks to all the wonderful things you guys have done here). I spent a bit of time figuring out what I like and what works for my family (been using XBMC/Kodi for years now) and created my setup on one of the Firesticks. Then used ADBFire to make a 'backup' and used 'restore' to create exactly the same on the other devices. This works very very well. I have my favorite TV shows in the libraries of each device, the apps I enjoy, etc. My wife does not get confused cause everything is the same from one TV to another (that's a big win).

So the question has been given to me asking me to do the same and transfer the 'restore' to a Fire Tablet 7, 5th gen. I was hoping it was just gonna be a matter of setting up the 'current device' within ADBFire, finding the 'unknown apps' and 'debugging' within the tablets settings (which I found) and I'd be off to the races. It wasn't that easy.

Google is my friend, but the info I have gotten appears to not be on friendly terms with me. I'm using Jarvis 16.1, my ADBFire is still 2.02 (haven't updated to the 2.07 yet). I've attempted to load the proper usb drivers with no luck. Even with loading them, I'm not sure what I'm trying to do....is doable with ADBFire.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks folks,

edit....oh yeah, we gave the tablets as gifts this last christmas to a number of kids and adults to include 7 grandsons and 4 adults. The request came from one of the grandsons and a few of the adults heard and now they want the same.

Last edited:

DGM

Aug 20, 2014
OK then. Thats what I'll do. Once I get a reply, I will post it here as I thought maybe others might be interested and may have already walked this path.

Thanks Igoodknight

gwilly7

May 26, 2014
Broncos Country
I use the backup and restore on adbfire all the time. That way when I set up firesticks or tvs for friends I do not have to do all the work all over again. Works great. The backup addon also from the kodi repo also workgs great for this too if you have a central network location you can store the backups.

DGM

Aug 20, 2014
Howdy gwilly7,

Yeah, it works great for me to, when I'm dealing with firesticks or fire tvs, but so far not with fire tablets. I have sent off an email to Jocala as 1goodknight suggested and am awaiting a reply. I have all my backups, dated of course, with apk's and exe files in one easy to use location as you said. Makes stuff alot easier, yeah.

DGM

Aug 20, 2014
No worries gwilly7.

As 1goofknight had suggested, I sent an email off and received a reply.

"adbFire hasn't been distributed for quite a while, due to legal demands from Amazon. It has been replaced by adbLink, available at jocala.com

That said, adbLink can be used for any Android device. You may need to connect via USB if adb over wifi isn't enabled."

Well, that kinda means later today or tomorrow I will be d/ling adblink and see what's up from there.

I'll let ya'll know what I find out.

Thanks folks

DGM

Aug 20, 2014
Oh yeah, surprisingly fast.

Had 3 of my 7 grandsons here yesterday and one stayed the night so did not get around to d/ling adblink yesterday, but today is the day.

I'll let ya know what happens.

Thanks folks