can you put xbmc on your tv

dave4762

Dec 1, 2013
if a tv come with apps. can you put xbmc on it. im looking at a. 42-inch Vizio LED 1080p 120Hz Smart 3D TV with VIZIO Internet Streaming Apps. and how wood i go about doing it .

ccmix

May 7, 2012
Yeah Dave you cannot put it on a tv. You can put plex on your tv and link it to your library but you will need a source plugged into your tv like ccadi said.

Packetcrypt

Aug 7, 2012
From what I understand Google dropped Google Tv and is now installing Android on all new Smart Tv's. I have seen a video of XBMC working directly from the TV using Android OS.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
My tv runs the exact same SoC as a RPi so in theory yes. If someone can port it.
In reality I think never.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
So called smart tvs are a trick. They actually are dumb. Better off using your own computer or tv box externally than to depend on smart tv. What a joke. It should be considered false advertising.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
All computers are dumb lol.
I find it pretty nice to have a Netflix button on my TV remote that also controls my RPi.
The app starts much faster than on my PC or Ouya anyway and has better interface.

Smart tv are equal IN HARDWARE to small android boxes now a days, as said mine has the exact same CPU/GPU and amount of ram as a RPi. It runs Linux and with a modified firmware you can access it over the network and get a normal Linux shell via ssh.

Its a natural evolution things like 800Mhz motion compensation, mpeg and digital reduction, 10p color balance, and all that crap takes quite some processor power. TVs will follow the great trend of ARM licensing and produce their own processors just like they already do with their phones, gadgets, etc. anything else would be stupid they already have the production up for ARM processors, and Linux is free to adapt in anyway you like.

Unfortunately the trend goes towards android instead which I hate lol. Lots of wasted resources and crippled features not accessible. So I admit some approaches are worse than others; GOOGLE TV being one of the worst I've seen. And unfortunately it seems to become the standard to, just like with most phones and tablets. :/

Last edited: