Canada going after android boxes?

itstheone

May 9, 2016
The people that advertise and sell these really aren't very intelligent.

I can see some big busts coming.

fracl

Jan 1, 2015
The broadcasters need to bring down their prices, and give us more flexibility when ordering programming. Or these boxes won't go away. ppl will find ways to get them in order to save money.

Chadman

Oct 12, 2014
This is only for resellers located in Canada and only for the ones that advertise fully loaded. They'll still be coming in from China. They'll still be sold.

hammerjammer

Jul 28, 2015
Nothing last forever
Does anyone remember the days of FTA
yeah i remember fta. i had three coolsat box's and two dishes on the roof with bev and dish. it will be a shame if this doesnt last because i kinda like this better. if and when it happens i guess i'll move on to the next thing.

josh3794

Jan 20, 2013
That's it. There will always be something. The providers charge way to much and nickel and dime you.

My wife was curious about the cost of getting some basic live TV again.

Once she saw we were being charged $200 for the install, charged monthly rental for a cable box for each TV and then the cost of the package the bill would be about $75 a month for just basic cable to get one channel she misses.

It's insane.

NorthernPlumber

Jun 13, 2016
They just had the takedowns in UK as well, laws will catch up a bit. I'm sure it will be the same as d/l in Canada, not worth the hassle to go after end users for meager gain, but worthwhile to tangle up retailers. In my neck of the woods you have automotive custom shops selling loaded boxes. Cash grab for TV retailer's lawyer for sure.

JimDaddyO

May 15, 2016
It is the out and out greed of the very few Canadian cable retailers that make android boxes so popular. With a virtual monopoly, they over charge for crap content and charge even more for channels you want. They even skirted around the new rules in place for "skinny basic" packages that came into effect. They have a stranglehold on the market and are choking the life out of it. They only have themselves to blame for the popularity of streaming devices. I have my box, and will get another if need be. I don't think they can stop the hardware sales, you can put the software on just about any platform. But I think they can stop it from coming pre-loaded from within the country. No real win for them there, as long as you can connect it to the internet and download Kodi and TVADDONS to your device, people will continue thumb their noses at the cable creeps.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
as long as you can connect it to the internet and download Kodi and TVADDONS to your device, people will continue thumb their noses at the cable creeps.
Yes, but that's always been the case. The popularity has come from the marketing of 'fully-loaded' boxes, I know people who tell me about their fully-loaded fire-stick yet are incapable of even the most basic tasks on a PC. If there was no such thing as this fully-loaded marketing they would never use Kodi, they wouldn't have the knowledge or time and effort available to install addons themselves. I'd say this is indicative of about 80% of people who use Kodi in 2016 :D

JimDaddyO

May 15, 2016
Yes, but that's always been the case. The popularity has come from the marketing of 'fully-loaded' boxes, I know people who tell me about their fully-loaded fire-stick yet are incapable of even the most basic tasks on a PC. If there was no such thing as this fully-loaded marketing they would never use Kodi, they wouldn't have the knowledge or time and effort available to install addons themselves. I'd say this is indicative of about 80% of people who use Kodi in 2016 :D
I admit to being one of those computer dummies. I bought a preloaded box, it has an opening screen with some apps like Mobdro, etc., and it has as one of them the K symbol for Kodi. The Kodi that came with it has the TVADDONS build (is that the right term?) Not surprisingly, before we got the box, I put Kodi/ TVADDONS on to my laptop to check it out. So, while they may be able to ban "preloaded" boxes, even I can go on the internet and follow instructions for any type of device I have. Whether the device runs Windows, Android, Apple, Linux or any other OS it makes no difference, they will not be able to ban an unloaded box (that may even come with packaged instructions). Doing so would ban computers, laptops, tablets, and cell phones.

Shushwap

Feb 8, 2016
There is nothing wrong with the boxes its the software that is put onto them
Same as back in the days of FTA the units themselves were not illegal the software that some chose to put on them made the units a no no

Last edited:

LynnInOntario

May 26, 2016
GTA East, Ontario Canada
I admit to being one of those computer dummies. I bought a preloaded box, it has an opening screen with some apps like Mobdro, etc., and it has as one of them the K symbol for Kodi. The Kodi that came with it has the TVADDONS build (is that the right term?) Not surprisingly, before we got the box, I put Kodi/ TVADDONS on to my laptop to check it out. So, while they may be able to ban "preloaded" boxes, even I can go on the internet and follow instructions for any type of device I have. Whether the device runs Windows, Android, Apple, Linux or any other OS it makes no difference, they will not be able to ban an unloaded box (that may even come with packaged instructions). Doing so would ban computers, laptops, tablets, and cell phones.
We are new retirees and trying to cut montly bills, the biggest being Bell Canada. I just bought a preloaded MyGica 586 from Costco. Had to spend a ton of time reconfiguring Kodi, adding Mobdro, the Canadian Link to my NetFlix, Crackle. Can't say I'm crazy about the device. The remote is pathetic. My non-techy husband will never be able to navigate this. I wasn't sure if I had the knowledge to configure my own Android box, but after messing with the MyGica I think I could do it. I've been running Kodi on my Windows laptop for a long time with no issues (except for the bzillion links that don't work for Canadian news). I'm thinking the MyGica is going back to Costco and I will buy a Nividia Shield. I know it's preconfigured too, but it seems like the best Android box. It takes some time and investigation, but people with some patience should be able to set up their own Android boxes. Thanks to all the Kodi developers who keep us up and running.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
There's a box I tried just for the fun of it, called the KIII, it works just as good as the shield, mentioned this because you say you are on a tight budget. I have been using one for about 2 weeks now and for the 58 dollars it cost me, I think its neck and neck with the shield for basic kodi use. If you blindfolded me and hooked up one or the other, then unblinfolded me only to watch the screen, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I own 2 shields and this is about my 25th TV box that I have tried and used through my 10 years of messing around with xbmc/kodi.
Can't say enough about this KIII. I WAS going to give it to my daughter to replace her outdated ouya but after trying it out I would rather keep it for awhile. Meanwhile one of my shields sits there unplugged.

josh3794

Jan 20, 2013
Unless you're into gaming the shield is overkill to just use kodi.

The kiii is an excellent box and you can find them on Amazon and elsewhere. I'm in Canada and grabbed one for $119 Canadian with delivery. Not sure what they run in the US.

Uninstall the kodi version that comes with it and install SPMC. SPMC is a version of kodi being developed specifically for Android and runs amazingly well on the kiii.

I would suggest getting a different keyboard or something though. The remote that comes with it is not the greatest.

hammerjammer

Jul 28, 2015
i have owned the kiii for about two weeks now and they are right. its one of the best boxes you can get for running kodi. i've been putting mine thru its paces and it runs great. i would save the money on a shield and pick a kiii up. if in the u.s. they run right at $60. on ebay. oh and you might as well pitch the remotes that all these boxes come with, they're junk.

Last edited:

xjeepguy

Dec 2, 2015
yeah i remember fta. i had three coolsat box's and two dishes on the roof with bev and dish. it will be a shame if this doesnt last because i kinda like this better. if and when it happens i guess i'll move on to the next thing.
Haha , anyone here remember H cards ??