Can't Change background using Wallpapers

vulcan

Feb 24, 2013
I can't seem to change my skin background. In Appearance the first destination of the save path is "special" then "home" then whatever. When I go into Tweaks/wallpapers and try to set the path "special" is nowhere to be found, "home" is the only first option. Is there a way to delete "Special" from the Appearance path or is this a function that doesn't work yet in Gotham ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
Not needed. Just place any image you want anywhere on the system. In appearence change the backround path to whatever location you want

vulcan

Feb 24, 2013
Tried that. Didn't work. Like I said the Appearance path won't let me change the first folder in the path from "special".

prospect500

Oct 17, 2013
I'm having the same probably with mine as well. I noticed this problem once the changes were made to the maintenance hub.

I restored my amazon fire TV media player to the factory settings and reinstalled xbmc. Any directory to my liking I set for the wallpapers does not work. Once go to upload the image, the images aren't there. So its either a download problem or an XBMC setting problem.

Either way, I've never had this problem in the past. Hopefully someone finds a solution to this issue. Thanks in advance.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
I am doing it right now on gotham 13.1 all hub tools installed. Setuo with our config wizard. And changing wallpapers witn no troubles at all.

vulcan

Feb 24, 2013
Config Wizard,Addon Installer and Maintenance tool won't install. Also on Gotham 13.1. Any ideas ?

cliving

Jul 13, 2014
Work-a-round

I can't seem to change my skin background. In Appearance the first destination of the save path is "special" then "home" then whatever. When I go into Tweaks/wallpapers and try to set the path "special" is nowhere to be found, "home" is the only first option. Is there a way to delete "Special" from the Appearance path or is this a function that doesn't work yet in Gotham ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hey,

I'm new to posting on the forums and found a solution for this problem as I was having the same problem on my ATV2. If you go into Programs<Maintenance Tool<System Tweaks<Wallpaper Downloads. Now just click on any folder (nature, 3D, computers ect.) click on the first picture it will download it and set your background to that picture. Also what it just did was change the background file path away from that special folder into the normal Var-mobile-photos folder so you can now set your custom photo.

Hope this helps

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
Hey,

I'm new to posting on the forums and found a solution for this problem as I was having the same problem on my ATV2. If you go into Programs<Maintenance Tool<System Tweaks<Wallpaper Downloads. Now just click on any folder (nature, 3D, computers ect.) click on the first picture it will download it and set your background to that picture. Also what it just did was change the background file path away from that special folder into the normal Var-mobile-photos folder so you can now set your custom photo.

Hope this helps
Lol, ;)

What's the solution exactly? :)

falofal

Jul 17, 2014
Hi all!!

New to the XBMC Hub forum, but not a new user of XBMC or XBMC Hub.

Just did a clean install and updated to 13.1 Gotham and wanted to re-install my custom backgrounds on my Apple TV 2 running software v5.3 (6105). Here is how I did it for Apple TV 2:

1. SSH into my Apple TV 2 (Locate the IP address your Apple TV 2 is on and the default User name: root Password: alpine)
2. Navigated to: /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/media and then uploaded my custom .jpg image files to this location.
3. Then, from my Apple TV 2 - XBMC Gotham interface, navigated to: SYSTEM/Settings/Appearance/Skin/- Settings/Background Options
4. Then click on the - Background path: special://home/media/ and select the custom image file you uploaded into this location that should now be available to choose from.
5. Enjoy!!

Some additional reference for other operating system is as follows:

Operating system settings folder paths:

Android Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/
iOS - Varied /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/
Linux $HOME/.xbmc/
Mac OS X /Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Application Support/XBMC
Windows 7 Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\
Windows XP Documents and Settings\%userprofile%\Application Data\XBMC\

(Reference and Additional info located here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:Artist_Slideshow)

Hope this helps with some confusion on XBMC Gotham 13.1 in changing the background image in Confluence.

Cheers!

Falofal

vaan

Feb 28, 2013
I've got the Background path: special://home/media/ that I can't change too. I didn't have any trouble changing backgrounds in the past. Dunno how I got the "special:" file path. I'll try the solutions you guys posted. thanks!

vaan
ATV2 Gotham 13.2

kpc180

Dec 8, 2014
Hey,

Hope this helps
Hey Guys! This is the solution! Or rather a solution. Obviously this problem doesn't happen for everyone - all the people saying "just go change the wallpaper" don't understand. When we go to System-Appearance- Skin Setting - Background -- we can't just search all about our computer it has us locked in some odd "Special://" directory and it won't let us out - obviously it is a glitch of some sort. I installed a fresh xbmc and went straight to the background and it worked normal and let me select anywhere, but once I ran the tvshows config wizard tool and it fixed all my settings when I went back to the background area it had me locked in the "special://" directory and I couldn't get it out. I tried uninstalling and re installing several times but it wouldn't do any different. The only thing that finally worked for me was the above quote - you go to the maintenance tool and select a random wallpaper - when you click on it you need to make sure you change the default wallpaper download location - I believe it is the top option it gives you - just change it to somewhere on your computer. Then once it is done it should change your background (or atleast change it from the default xbmchub one) and then you can now go to System-Appearance- Skin Setting - Background and now you should see you are no longer locked in to the "Special://" directory and should be able to browse all around you computer.

^^ This won't make any sense to those of you who don't have the weird glitch some of us have, but it should help those who do have it from going mad!

vaan

Feb 28, 2013
**** SOLUTION to Change Wallpaper in "special:" File Structur on ATV****

After using the Config Wizard, my file structure changed and now begins with special://

After a loooong time, I finally figured out that now, the folder that the default wallpaper folder shown on the ATV
special://home/media/skindefault.jpg

is actually:
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/Kodi/media

If I back out of the media folder to the kodi folder, you will see the following folders: addons, media, sounds, system, temp, userdata

to add new wallpaper, ssh into this folder:
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/Kodi/

Make a folder in there:
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/Kodi/Wallpapers
and upload your wallpaper

or add it to where the default wallpapers are:
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/Kodi/media

If you do the steps above, you should now be able to navigate to the wallpaper folder when your file structure starts with special:// on your apple tv 2

Last edited:

Benney

Jan 14, 2014
hahaha and it still does it with KODI 15.1 and a fresh install with the wizard.

Anyway it doesn't matter as this is the easiest way to fix it.

C/P Thanks cliving
If you go into Programs<Maintenance Tool<System Tweaks<Wallpaper Downloads. Now just click on any folder (nature, 3D, computers ect.) click on the first picture it will download it and set your background to that picture. Also what it just did was change the background file path away from that special folder into the normal Var-mobile-photos folder so you can now set your custom photo.

Last edited:

jadez03

Jun 4, 2015
Not sure if this will help anyone else, but I came to this thread from googling why I was stuck in special:// when trying to change my BG after running the config wizard. When going up a directory, the option ends at special://home, and will no longer let you click to keep going up directories.

I saw the advice here and was about to go to the maintenance tool to change to a random wallpaper, but instead of click out of the menu, I used backspace...which brought me one level up and I was able to explore my filesystem correctly. So in my case, this was just a bug with the display of the menu, and I hadn't tried anything but clicking the menu options so I didn't know.

tl;dr use backspace instead of clicking, when you're stuck in special://home and you should be able to get out and browse the filesystem normally