Can't Playback .avi or .wmv Files

Simonizer

Jan 24, 2017
I can't playback .avi or .wmv files on two on my Kodi setups. A third, my phone, plays them back fine in Kodi via the local network, so I know they can be played back in Kodi. Also, the original computer where the files reside can playback the files through Windows Media Player and VLC, so I know they are not corrupt on that machine or anything.

Now I do see different options under the Video / Acceleration tab between the computer and phone... under the phone I see "Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCodec", but I don't see that on the computer, how come?

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Media Codec is an Android specific setting so you won't see it on Windows as it's not needed. As to why your files are not playing I have no idea, I play avi's just fine on Windows. Best thing you can do is try to play one & post a log file so we can have a look what errors it gives.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
You need to recreate the issue, I can't see any wmv or avi files in your log.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Looks to me that your files are in mpg format.
I'm not sure that this is a supported file type

I don't use windows so I can't answer your questions about video acceleration.. all I can say is make sure you are in " Expert mode" to see all the setting (bottom left on confluence skin)

Video formats:*MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.263, MPEG-4 SP and ASP, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), H.265 (as from Kodi 14) HuffYUV, Indeo, MJPEG, RealVideo, RMVB, Sorenson, WMV, Cinepak.
Source.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Features_and_supported_formats#Format_support

Android is slightly different as I believe you can use external player.
Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
If he didn't recreate the issue before posting the log, it isn't a proper log. I don't care where he posts his log but he has to do it right before posting.
Yes of course, sorry I thought you were advising him to use the log uploader.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Looks to me that your files are in mpg format.
I'm not sure that this is a supported file type

I don't use windows so I can't answer your questions about video acceleration.. all I can say is make sure you are in " Expert mode" to see all the setting (bottom left on confluence skin)

Source.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Features_and_supported_formats#Format_support

Android is slightly different as I believe you can use external player.
mpg is just a generic file type for MPEG-1, MPEG-2 & MPEG-4, so I think Kodi should play these fine. I think maybe it could be an issue with the nas, but a log file showing a file failing to play would clear it up :)

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
mpg is just a generic file type for MPEG-1, MPEG-2 & MPEG-4, so I think Kodi should play these fine. I think maybe it could be an issue with the nas, but a log file showing a file failing to play would clear it up :)
Think your right and that would make more sense !
Be worth checking the permissions on the Nas.

Simonizer

Jan 24, 2017
Thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciate it.

In looking into the NAS issue and video playback, I came across this other post:

"If you own a Synology, there is an issue with NFS and you won't be able to see you videos. (you have to edit a config file on your NAS using SSH, but don't be scared it's really easy to do)."

I'll have to try that, as I do own a Synology. I can see the video files listed in Kodi that are stored on my NAS, but they just won't playback. I'll also post an updated log if I can't get this suggestion to work.

And to make sure this is the issue, I'll copy the files in question to a non-NAS drive and see if they playback. If so, I guess the problem started a few years ago when I switched to the NAS, and not when I upgraded Kodi versions as I originally thought.

Last edited:

Simonizer

Jan 24, 2017
Well, I moved some of the files off the NAS to a hard drive on the computer, and the files would not playback from there either via Kodi, so I guess it's not the NAS. And since they play fine from the NAS to the phone, it really can't be the NAS.

But I have created an updated log file, which is here:

http://pastebin.com/iGQjZsM0

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
As far as I can tell your log doesn't show that you tried to play any avi or wmv files, so we can't help you with why they are not working.

What I would say is that you have so many addons & repos on there, many of which are obsolete, and a lot of stuff like S-Repo which is known to do all kinds of things to screw up your Kodi install. You have GoMovies addon on there which hasn't been in development for about 3 years! Looks very much like a 'fully-loaded' type install.

Have you tried a clean install of Kodi with no addons installed? I'd hazard a guess that a clean install would play your files just fine. To do this you can rename "C:\Users\Bahia\AppData\Roaming\Kodi" to something like "C:\Users\Bahia\AppData\Roaming\Kodi2" then run Kodi & try to play a local file. You can always reinstate your original folder to put it back to it's current state.

EDIT - Just to add, your advancedsettings.xml has this entry:
Code:
<cachemembuffersize>4294967296</cachemembuffersize>
which allocates 4.2Gb to the cachemem, which in turn requires 3 x this amount of RAM, so in excess of 12Gb RAM, which even if you do have this amount of RAM is complete overkill. This figure is not in any way required and could well be the cause of your issues. I'm not sure if this would affect local files but would certainly affect the stability of your system when trying to stream from any addons.

Last edited:

Simonizer

Jan 24, 2017
I just saw your response now (forums were down), and I'll try reducing the amount of RAM used (I do have 24 GB in the system), as well as removing some obsolete add-ons. I did install Kodi fresh on my system initially without using any customized builds or short-cuts several years ago, but I haven't really deleted too much.

Simonizer

Jan 24, 2017
So the only thing I did was change the amount of RAM allocated back to the default recommended value, and that worked! The files now playback fine... thanks!!!

Simonizer

Jan 24, 2017
Well, I changed the one machine and things worked, and I then went to proceed to change the other machine - and things worked there too! But I was also trying to setup an IPTV service there, and for a few months, after triple-checking settings, I could not get things to work, and basically gave up (for now).

But as a result of the change of RAM allocated, the IPTV service started up on this machine after re-starting Kodi - so it fixed this problem for me as well. Great!