Cast From Windows To Chromecast

vibajajo64

Jan 31, 2014
This is a how to on Casting Xbmc from Computer to TV for Free using Chromecast Browser. You are going to see this blows away any previous method for casting like this. It actually can even cast live streams which I didn't even think was possible and something I wasn't able to do in Avia or Allcast! It currently should work on Windows, Mac, Chrome OS and Linux.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmyxUVDMYEU

How to Cast XBMC from Computer to TV for Free using Chromecast and Chrome Browser.

Step 1. Go into Chrome Browser and add the Google Cast Extension at

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-cast/boadgeojelhgndaghljhdicfkmllpafd?hl=en

Step 2. Download and install XBMC Windows version 12.3 Frodo at

http://xbmc.org/download/

You need to run xbmc once to set up the proper folders.

Step 3. Download modified playercorefactory.xml at

http://www.mediafire.com/view/gdf9yqpg3b9uk9i/playercorefactory.xml

Place playercorefactory.xml in the userdata folder using the following path.

C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\

Hint: My path to Chrome Browser is C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe Your path to chrome.exe could definitely be different than mine and you will have to find your path and change it in the playercorefactory.xml.

Step 4. Demonstration

Start Chromecast

Start XBMC

Start your show- Click the Cast Button and it automatically finds the Chrome Browser and plays the video. You hit the cast button and it casts to the Television.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

j_diggs

Feb 16, 2014
Great post, thanks!

Has anybody gotten it to work with a Mac? I was finally able to find the XBMC folder in my home folder (I guess kind of equivalent to the c drive; usually your name)-->Library-->Application support-->XBMC-->
I'm not 100% sure where to put the .xml file, as then there are two separate folders on that level for "system" and "userdata." The system folder is blank, so I tried placing it in userdata without any real success.

When I try to play a video, it seems to take me out of XBMC, but doesn't activate Chromecast. In fact, nothing happens, and the video doesn't play.

j_diggs

Feb 16, 2014
This may help you figure out the Mac file path to playercorefactory.xml

http://superuser.com/questions/371513/how-to-tell-full-path-of-file-on-machis may help you with Mac file paths.
Thanks for the thought! I figured out the trick of dragging Chrome into terminal, and it shows this:
/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app

Apparently because it's an application there isn't the usual longer path of say a doc (e.g.: /Users/****/School/Developing\ a\ Step\ 1\ Brain\ Lecture.doc)

I tried to change the xml file to this new path. Here's a screenshot comparing the two. The edited version is on the right.

Here's the folder I saved the xml file in:

vibajajo64

Jan 31, 2014
Hi, I don't know about the path since I don't have a Mac but I do see it looks like you've renamed
The playercorefactory.xml to playercoreedit.xml. You need to change that back.

Last edited:

sci05

Oct 2, 2012
works great on Windows. only problem I have is when it tries to stream flv files chrome browser just prompt to download and doesn't play.

j_diggs

Feb 16, 2014
Thanks vibajajo. I made the change back.
Another helpful tip: somebody in a youtube comment said I could find the correct xbmc folder by going to xmbc in applications, right clicking, and clicking "show package contents." That enabled me to find what's more likely the correct folder (though it doesn't include the "userdata" folder), judging from the fact that this one actually has a playercorefactory.xml file in it.

However, I still have the same problem of not getting any casting in chrome when I play the XBMC file. I think the chrome path may be wrong? But I used the one shown when I dropped Chrome into terminal.

Also, would having XBMC hubwizard installed on my Frodo xbmc make any difference? I figure it shouldn't, but just wanted to check.

vibajajo64

Jan 31, 2014
So that means you found the correct location for the playercorefactory.xml. Just replace the current one with modified one with the path to Chrome. On windows, the path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe This means if I type that path in my file explorer, it brings up the chrome browser. Do you have anything similar to Windows File explorer where you could test out the path you are using to see if it opens your Mac's chrome browser?

Last edited:

Starcrane

May 15, 2012
Still looking forward to the stream xbmc from iOS to chrome cast thread! That'll be a huge hit! Or xbmc app on the chrome cast but that seems more unlikely.

j_diggs

Feb 16, 2014
So that means you found the correct location for the playercorefactory.xml. Just replace the current one with modified one with the path to Chrome. On windows, the path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe This is means if I type that path in my file explorer, it brings up the chrome browser. Do you have anything similar to Windows File explorer where you could test out the path you are using to see if it opens your Mac's chrome browser?
So I was able to find the path by dragging chrome into the spotlight bar, which turned it into the path: /Applications/Google Chrome.app
When I copied and pasted the path into chrome, it came out to this:
file:///Applications/Google%20Chrome.app/

I tried to copy that into the playercorefactory file, but still haven't had any luck. Not sure if we don't have the right code yet, or what?

vibajajo64

Jan 31, 2014
Try this

Hi, Try these in the playercorefactory.xml and see if one of them works.

/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome

/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome" name\="Google Chrome

open /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome

<external location\="/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome" name\

So I was able to find the path by dragging chrome into the spotlight bar, which turned it into the path: /Applications/Google Chrome.app
When I copied and pasted the path into chrome, it came out to this:
file:///Applications/Google%20Chrome.app/

I tried to copy that into the playercorefactory file, but still haven't had any luck. Not sure if we don't have the right code yet, or what?

johnnybe

Feb 27, 2014
Hi, Try these in the playercorefactory.xml and see if one of them works.

/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome

/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome" name\="Google Chrome

open /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome

<external location\="/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome" name\
Tried all of those. Still not casting.

j_diggs

Feb 16, 2014
Somehow I missed your post vibajajo. I'll see if any of those work for me (likely after mardi gras ;-))

luigi

Feb 28, 2014
Great post followed it complete. I am doing something wrong it is not working for me. I need some advice, on the video it shows that the playercorefactory file is placed in the system folder, in your written directions it says to place it the user data folder. I thought this was the problem and switched the file from one to the other but nothing changes. I can watch Xbmc on my lap top no problem, when in chrome I can cast from the lap top to the tv. I just can't cast Xbmc. I hope this is making sense. Hope you can help I really would like it to work. Thank you

vibajajo64

Jan 31, 2014
Hi Luigi,

The playercorefactory.xml file should go in the System folder on Windows, sorry for that error. The only other things I can think of are that your path in the xml file to Chrome.exe is different than mine or you don't have the google cast extension installed. Other than that, I don't see what else could go wrong.

luigi

Feb 28, 2014
Hi vibajajo64,

Thank you for the reply and the clarification. I moved the playercorefactory to the system folder and had no luck it still did not work. Another question are you saying to replace the existing playercorefactory file or just place the modified file in the folder? I verified that my chrome extension is working I actually cast your video to my tv and that worked fine. Thanks for the help

vibajajo64

Jan 31, 2014
Hi Luigi,

You should replace the original playercorefactory.xml with the modified one from the video. You said the Chrome Extension is working which is good but you didn't comment on the path to your Chrome.exe. If that isn't correct, nothing will work. My path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe Is this the path to yours also? If this doesn't work, post the playercore file you are using.

Regards,

Vince

Hi vibajajo64,

Thank you for the reply and the clarification. I moved the playercorefactory to the system folder and had no luck it still did not work. Another question are you saying to replace the existing playercorefactory file or just place the modified file in the folder? I verified that my chrome extension is working I actually cast your video to my tv and that worked fine. Thanks for the help

luigi

Feb 28, 2014
Hi Vince,

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this issue but life has its priorities. This is the path I am using C: \Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe and it still does not work. I modified the file by taking (x86) out of the path and it turns chrome on but then instead of streaming the video, chrome starts to download the video. I put (x86) back in the file. Could it be a problem that I am running a 32bytes Vista Windows System? Thank you for your time Vince

vibajajo64

Jan 31, 2014
Hi Luigi,

You actually probably had it working when it tried to download the file. If it's a file chrome doesn't play like .flv it will try to download the file. If it was a .mp4 or .mkv it would have played and be castable. It can't cast .flv without be transcoded to another format.