Change DNS in OpenElec

lowridin_guy

May 10, 2012
I have a question regarding changing the DNS within OpenElec. I've been reading some information about Conman taking care of the DNS settings for OE. If I were to change it to 8.8.8.8 within OE netowrk settings, will it keep the new DNS settings? I've heard different answers on this. I have heard that the GUI will not display the new DNS but that possibly OE will still direct to it.

The issue a couple of my friends are having is that putlocker links are not resolving for them. They are both on the same ISP and I've literally taken their pi to my house (I use a different ISP) and tested the exact same link and it resolves without problems. Most other sources for them still work.

I'm almost thinking that their ISP might be trying to block putlocker links. What happens is they click the file, it says waiting, opening and then nothing. No script error. No blank screen. Just back to the source list page.

Any ideas??

Quihico

Jun 4, 2013
I always change DNS settings in order to use Pandora and/or BBC iPlayer from the Netherlands.
I'm currently on Rbej's build from 18th of january. I used to change DNS via the OpenELEC OS settings but last couple of times that made my pi freeze so now I change it in the settingsfile (located at /storage/.cache/connman/ethernet_blahblah_cable/settings, just add a line, something like:

Nameservers=i.p.n.r1;i.p.n.r2;

I use Tunlr.net, they are making some changes at the moment so now you do have to sign up but there are free plans available which work with both pandora and iPlayer. When using tunlr, the lins should be:
Nameservers=69.197.169.9;192.95.16.109;

lowridin_guy

May 10, 2012
Thanks for the info. I changed the DNS to google's DNS servers on my friends pi and so far so good.
Putlocker links that were not resolving previously, now resolve.