change network settings linux-xbmc build

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
hello everyone.

I am trying to figure this out but am not completely familiar with linux and how it works and how this xbmc flash uses it.

basically I know that with the pivos the only way to change the network settings after the 1st initial set up. one needs to change the skin to the xios skin. this is simple enough but doesn't actually solve my problem.

there is a linux-xbmc flash out for the mygica atv520 and it seems to work ok but i was having issues with the wifi connection and reinstalled fresh with a wired connection... watched a movie and everything is working just fine now. so now I want to change the network back to wireless to see if the issues was having before are still there.

the issue is that the xios skin is not there and I found it and tried to install it and I get a dependancy error. so that is out.

so now I went looking on the xbmc.org site ad they say it isn't and xbmc issue. it is an os issue so they won't help and to be quite frank are being idiots about it...

so after that long explanation here is my question... is it possible to get into the linux UI to change the network settings on the pivos or if anyone has tried the atv520 build

thanks for any help in advance... please if you say it isn't possible then please explain why to help me understand this. because xbmc IS a program that is used and dependent on an OS of some sort so this makes sense that you should be able to get in behind xbmc

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
I was texting a friend about this that has some experence with linux and he said i should be able to ssh into with with a program called PuTTY, which gives me a comand prompt to do some configuration but this isn't quite working...

it connects but the cmd window I get will not allow me to type....

as well for so reason i cant connect with winscp using root and letmein to any pivos i have...

any body have any ideas?

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
well thanks everybody for all your help! :p

i figured it out with a friend. so the issue that has plagued these setups of not being able to change the network or rescan for networks or go from a wired connection to a wireless with out completely starting from a fresh state has been solved!!!

the issue lies in the system is looking for a file that is in the wrong place... this was competed using putty. on a pivos linux build and then we did it on the my gica as well and it worked as well...

here is what we:

Here is what I found in the log;

21:52:37 T:1093865120 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogAccessPoints.xml) ------
21:52:37 T:1093865120 INFO: Loading skin file: DialogAccessPoints.xml, load type: LOAD_EVERY_TIME
21:52:38 T:1093865120 ERROR: unable to load:/root/.xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/DialogAccessPoints.xml, Line 0
21:52:38 T:1093865120 DEBUG: Load DialogAccessPoints.xml: 186.93ms
21:52:38 T:1093865120 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (DialogAccessPoints.xml) ------

As you can see it’s looking for a file called DialogAccessPoints.xml in the path /root/.xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/ and it says it’s unable to load the file. I then search the filesystem looking for a file by that name;

>find / -name 'DialogAccessPoints.xml'
/usr/share/xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/DialogAccessPoints.xml
/usr/share/xbmc/addons/skin.xios/720p/DialogAccessPoints.xml

The find command locates two files, as you can see the one the confluence skin uses is located here;

If we go take a look where XBMC is trying to load the file /root/.xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/ you will not find DialogAccessPoints.xml there. So let’s copy the file from the location we found it over to the location that XBMC looks for it;

>cp /usr/share/xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/DialogAccessPoints.xml /root/.xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/DialogAccessPoints.xml

Now let’s check the file system to see if we locate the file in any additional places;

>find / -name 'DialogAccessPoints.xml'
/usr/share/xbmc/addons/skin.xios/720p/DialogAccessPoints.xml
/root/.xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/DialogAccessPoints.xml

Looks good, let’s reboot

>reboot

Now when the PIVOS boots back up, go into Internet Access and select the current network and it should pull up a list of available wireless networks.

FoneFreak

Aug 27, 2013
this is excellent, as this is/was a bad bug in the otherwise perfect linux builds

I will see if i can get this streamlined for the average user, well done!

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
Thanks! This has plagued me since I started flashing them for friends I am really glad it is fixed

Esso1001

Apr 27, 2013
Is this problem because of hub wizard installed on the pivos? Or just in general linux?

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
it is a problem with any linux build that basically uses xbmc as the ui, and not just another program like on a pc or ouya

Luddite

Jul 21, 2012
Dublin (Ireland)
this is excellent, as this is/was a bad bug in the otherwise perfect linux builds

I will see if i can get this streamlined for the average user, well done!
Some find Macbeth but any luck streamlining?, i havent a clue what to do. Any code above i paste in the WinSCP terminal im getting an error?

Last edited:

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
Some find Macbeth but any luck streamlining?, i havent a clue what to do. Any code above i paste in the WinSCP terminal im getting an error?
No sorry... that would involve redoing the entire flash image... I can't do that ( far too advance for me)
but if you want to pm me i may be able to help you out. I based on what you said I have a feeling you are misunderstanding how it needs to be done with winscp...

all you really need to do is find the xml in "/usr/share/xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/DialogAccessPoints.xml"

and copy it to "/root/.xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/DialogAccessPoints.xml"

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
Would this solve the problem on sumvision nan slims not storing the wifi password.
I don't know for sure but i doubt it....I don't have a sum vision to find out. what this solves is the ability to actually select the network and it give you the pop up displaying the scanned networks available. before this selecting the network didn't appear to do anything.

stonedandhappy

Nov 22, 2013
I don't know for sure but i doubt it....I don't have a sum vision to find out. what this solves is the ability to actually select the network and it give you the pop up displaying the scanned networks available. before this selecting the network didn't appear to do anything.
I'm visiting my brother at the weekend so I'll have a look at his.

The problem with the Sumvision is that it does bring up the list of wireless connections, it even lets you put in the password, but it just won't connect to WiFi.

This seems to only be a problem on the newer v1.5 ones with the Samsung chip.

I wonder if the xml file mentioned in this thread is set to Read Only and that's why it won't connect.

Luddite

Jul 21, 2012
Dublin (Ireland)
No sorry... that would involve redoing the entire flash image... I can't do that ( far too advance for me)
but if you want to pm me i may be able to help you out. I based on what you said I have a feeling you are misunderstanding how it needs to be done with winscp...

all you really need to do is find the xml in "/usr/share/xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/DialogAccessPoints.xml"

and copy it to "/root/.xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/DialogAccessPoints.xml"
Thanks very much for the clearer(to me!) instructions, i just followed that now and it worked a treat!.

accordv6

Sep 6, 2013
I was just reading this thread over and I just want to know if this will be fixed or if this will be just overlooked and it will become a manual fix from now on?

I am a newbie and I have never SSH'd into a box before.

I do like the hub wizard setup. It is easy, fast, and simple. I don't want to have to start playing with SSH and getting into the bowels of the box to fix up wifi.

thanks

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
that is something that the wizard devs will have to answer. according to the pivos group sit it is because the wizard is overwriting the newer version of the confluence skin (that has this fixed) in the most recent flash image. I have checked this out and it does work properly until you run the wizard then it goes bad. so the wizard is what needs to be fixed...