chromecast and privacy

heehee62

Feb 12, 2014
I'm thinking about buying a chromecast but I was worried about privacy.

Does chromecast process everything through their own servers?

So say I watch streaming videos through Ic*f*lms and I project xbmc onto my tv from my laptop using chromecast.

Can google pretty much know and keep track of everything I watch?

Thanks.

heehee62

Feb 12, 2014
Thanks. I think it knows your router's network address, username, and password so I think it can track you. But I guess my internet provider can too.

I bought the chromecast. Think I'm going to return it though. The experimental screen mirroring doesn't work well at all right now (at least not with my high power win 8.1 laptop).

I followed the instructions for projecting xbmc onto my tv provided in that "cast to windows from chromecast" sticky on this forum. With Ic*f*lms, that method will automatically download the tv show/movie prior to projecting. The download takes like 15 minutes for a 30 minute 720p tv show.

Decided to either spend a little more and get an xbmc box or a miracast adapter.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
XBMC and chrome cast require users to use addon that support videos with the right codecs.

I have found lambdas yify and kinkins tvonline work 100% and immediately.

heehee62

Feb 12, 2014
XBMC and chrome cast require users to use addon that support videos with the right codecs.

I have found lambdas yify and kinkins tvonline work 100% and immediately.
Thanks for all your input.

I think I'd rather pay $15 more to not be limited. My only hesitation is that I think chromecast is the future and will grow/develop with time.

Not sure what will happen with miracast in which case my adapter will become obsolete and I'll eventually have to buy a chromecast anyway.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
Good luck. For me chromecast wins over miracast in my real world testing... Let us know how it goes for you

Last edited:

heehee62

Feb 12, 2014
Good luck. For me chromecast wins over miracast in my real world testing... Let us know how it goes for you
I can see how it's a matter of preference. What is it you like about chromecast over miracast?

I actually already have a miracast adapter (netgear ptv3000). I was going to set up the Chromecast for my sister.

Miracast was a pain in the butt to setup cause the drivers on the laptop weren't right initially. But I figured it out. After that, I had difficulties with sound until I adjusted the settings/system/audio and the passthrough and output devices.

So yes, I can definitely see some people (probably even the majority of people) preferring less hassle with chromecast. But I don't mind the work. It can be a lot of work initially but for me, it usually works smoothly now with just a rare occasion of the sound setup going back to default at turn-on but I can quickly fix that.

I really like the extended view offered to me with miracast and the ability to actually mirror the entire screen (I know you can do it with chromecast too but right now that option doesn't work well at all with laptops).

I like my own karaoke program more than the xbmc one. I can use the extended view offered with miracast so that one screen has my karaoke songs playing while I search through other songs and add them to the playlist with the other screen. Works great when you have many people waiting to sing. So one person can sing to the tv projection while we look for a song for the next singer on the laptop screen.

I also love projecting photos onto the big screen on vacations. Some places I travel to don't have wifi and miracast will still work in those cases where chromecast won't.

But yeah, miracast is harder to use sometimes which was why I was leaning toward chromecast for my sister (who prefers simple over more functions). But limited add-ons is a fatal flaw.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Kodi Support 3
P Kodi Support 0
W Addon Requests 0