Chromecast and Windows

shyguysam

Dec 16, 2013
Canada
I recently purchased a Chromecast to use in conjunction with my Windows 7 laptop and Kodi. I've read and watched several tutorials from here and other places, and I've yet to have any real success. The best I could come up with is the mirroring thing, but it was choppy, distorted, and laggy. I'm beginning to think it's the placement of the modified playercore file. I've seen a variety of folders where it should go, and it's unclear which folder is the right one. I'd like to hear from anyone who has had success getting the Chromecast working with Windows and Kodi with decent playback especially with HD movies and shows. Don't care much about live streams, but HD is important. Big thanks to all the devs and their addons, and to those who help those of us not tech savvy enough to assist !

shyguysam

Dec 16, 2013
Canada
Ok, finally figured out how to edit the modified playercorefactory.html to correctly find the path to Chrome. I finally understood the click "cast this tab" part wasn't just for decoration, you actually have to click it when the selected movie or tv show starts playing in the browser ( teaching the world to read, one person at a time they call it ). I was able to get Kodi to talk to Chrome, then to Chromecast on to the TV. Only hiccup is, it is still laggy and choppy, almost like buffering. 1080P files were worse, 720P not as much but still unwatchable. Is there something else I should be looking at, a video playback setting any other tweak I might try to improve playback ? Or is the Chromecast limited in that capacity ?

HmmmOK

May 13, 2015
Ok, finally figured out how to edit the modified playercorefactory.html to correctly find the path to Chrome. I finally understood the click "cast this tab" part wasn't just for decoration, you actually have to click it when the selected movie or tv show starts playing in the browser ( teaching the world to read, one person at a time they call it ). I was able to get Kodi to talk to Chrome, then to Chromecast on to the TV. Only hiccup is, it is still laggy and choppy, almost like buffering. 1080P files were worse, 720P not as much but still unwatchable. Is there something else I should be looking at, a video playback setting any other tweak I might try to improve playback ? Or is the Chromecast limited in that capacity ?
You could well be overwhelming your hardware or wireless bandwidth or both.

Hardware-wise you probably need fairly decent GPU acceleration (gamers video card <5.5 years old like >GeForce 9000) for first rendering in Kodi and then decent CPU (Dual Core 3Ghz/Quad Core 1.8GHz <6 years) for the redirects/conversions. Fortunately storage and memory 2GB+ should not play much of a factor.

If your Kodi box is wired to your home network you can probably avoid most the bandwidth issues with wireless. In that case the only time the video hits the wireless bandwidth is when the outgoing final video stream hits your wireless Access Point (wireless router) for transmission to the Chromecast.

Older hardware can have an issue due to fact video stream is potentially converted to display to Kodi then redirected and reconverted for Chrome webpage then redirected and reformatted once more for Chromecast within Chrome. Similarly for wireless if the videostream comes into your Kodi machine then goes back out to your Access Point then is routed back out onto wireless to the Chromecast. Potentially that same video information passes through that limited 2.4Ghz wireless 3 times. Then reduce bandwidth to 60-70% due to protocol overhead you and reduce that by an unknown and variable percentage due to interference by neighbors. (I haven't yet figured out where Chromecast lets you input wpa2 key for 5Ghz band so I assume N 150Mbps compatibility is untapped future expansion capability.)

P.S. if you have both wireless and wired Ethernet on a Windows box be careful about network loops (data runs in circles between two connections to Windows box). Make sure Windows internal routing and internet sharing (turns routing on) is off. I believe most desktop Linux distros default to no implied routing.

P.P.S. For the above reasons I am looking for a more efficient way to broadcast Kodi to Chromecast/EZCast than through Chrome tab (though admittedly its a clever way to avoid coding if you got enough hardware & network to drive the solution).

HmmmOK

May 13, 2015
But as Kodi team members have said -- its unlikely Kodi will ever support Chromecast directly with a simple Addon or feauture. Mainly because Kodi does not do transcoding (translation-recoding) of videostreams to make them compatible with Chromecast. Chromecast only supports a handful of the most common formats. (Each video format translated/transcoded would be major project). Without transcoding many - maybe most - videostreams offered (e.g. .MKV) in Kodi would simply produce error messages on Chromecast if redirected.

Or if we do see a Chromecast addon it will probably have to include its own compilation of compatible videostreams. A disappointing subset.

Or the addon would entail a major hardware increase in order to re-encode the "universal" HDMI ready output into one of the Chromecast compatible formats on the fly. And I suspect that isn't really an easily accessed "universal" final decoding but more likely Nvidia, Radeon, etc vendor specific pseudo-data stream fed into proprietary HDMI rendering chips according to GPU specific instructions.

Be happy with Kodi for what it is. Buy PLEX if you need efficient Chromecast broadcasting.

sattekop

Developer
Sep 21, 2012
Buying PI2 instead of Chromecast is the solution if you have not yet spend your money.
NB. Have you also tried the cast screen/window experimental option? There you can choose to share your Kofi window.

nemsis72

Jul 17, 2015
Boston
Before i bought my hp stream mini. I had kodi installed on my galaxy tab tablet, and galaxy s5, along with the local cast, and a copy and pasted playercore.factory.html in user data. With this modification i was able to cast to my chromecast. Awesome....

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Kodi Support 3
V Chromecast 4
V Chromecast 46