Connect Android box without HDMI

JR1982

Aug 31, 2016
Hi all,

So I recently bought a second Android box for the TV in my bedroom, completely forgetting about the fact that the TV is old and doesn't have an HDMI input!
I didn't think it would be a problem, since I've connected my Apple TV to it in the past with an HDMI adapter and separate audio converter.
However Apple TV seems to automatically pick up on my TV's resolution, but the Android box doesn't.
And I haven't a clue what my TV's resolution is. It's "HD Ready", just not quite HD yet.

So I changed some of the settings on my Android box on my downstairs TV, making the resolution a bit lower, and when I connect it to the HDMI adapter, it shows up at first, but only on half my screen. Then when I try to navigate through it, it goes bonkers and all I see is lines running across my screen.

I also tried connecting it through an AV cable, but that does squad.

So my question is: how can I connect it to my TV either through the HDMI adapter or an AV cable, and actually get an image?

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
If it's HD Ready, it's probably just SD with a down converter built in, meaning it should be able to down covert a 720 or 1080 input signal and adjust the aspect ratio itself... So, turn off auto detection on the box and try feeding it a stock 720 resolution and see if that helps...

But, if it's not here is standard TV resolutions...

NTSC (525x700)
PAL (720x576)

JR1982

Aug 31, 2016
Thanks for the reply!
I think I'll have to play around with that a bit tomorrow.
I had already switched off the auto detection and changed it to 720 resolution, but there's a few different Hz on the Android box and I don't know which one to use. The 60Hz doesn't work, that's the one I have the problem with.
I also tried a resolution lower than 720, but that didn't give me the lines, it made my screen go white. Like white was closing in around it until it became completely white. Very strange...

JR1982

Aug 31, 2016
Nothing seems to be working. Any other tips?
Whenever I lower the resolution to 576p, the moment I connect it to my TV it automatically changes it back to 720p even though the auto detection is off.
Usually I get the startup screen, but it's only on half my screen. And then when I try to move into Display settings, I get lines or colors all across my screen. Then when I bring it back downstairs, it's back on 720p. Which should normally work on my TV upstairs. But for some reason doesn't

JR1982

Aug 31, 2016
Also, any thoughts on why the AV output isn't working?
I tested it with my other Android box, and it's not doing anything there either. Would that just be a cable issue?
Or am I misunderstanding what the AV output does? I thought it would just work with an RCA cable, like I connect my Xbox

Last edited:

fracl

Jan 1, 2015
You should have thought about this before buying the box.
I know a guy that did this cause he didn't want to get rid of his older tv, he said the picture was fine and the sound was awesome. well last time i seen him he was still having issues. he had just ordered his 3rd thingy/adapter off ebay to make it work. I don't know if its working now but, im just saying.

JR1982

Aug 31, 2016
I did state that I forgot the TV didn't have HDMI input.
Plus, since it works fine with my Apple TV I would assume anyway that it should work with the Android box

fracl

Jan 1, 2015
You could always buy another box, one with component/composite, and sell the one you have now to a friend.

JR1982

Aug 31, 2016
See, that's what I thought the AV output was for.
To use with an RCA cable or something similar. Normally I should just be able to connect it that way, but that just gives me a static sound and no picture

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
I have no other suggestions, sounds like the TV box hardware/firmware video output is simply is not compatible with your converter box, and you will likely be rolling the dice with every purchase trying to make it work...

You could always buy another box, one with component/composite, and sell the one you have now to a friend.
Personally I'm of the opinion that it's time for a new TV that is current to at least this decades tech vs trying to find a TV box that supports legacy connections that still might not work properly ;)

JR1982

Aug 31, 2016
Got it to work!
Kept trying an RCA cable, red/white/yellow 'cause that's my TV input.
Tried a component cable, blue/green/red, and works like a charm

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Got it to work!
Kept trying an RCA cable, red/white/yellow 'cause that's my TV input.
Tried a component cable, blue/green/red, and works like a charm
Good to hear, if you have 'good quality' red/white/yellow cables they can sometimes work as a fill in for blue/green/red but many of the consumer grade red/white/yellow cables simply can not handle the bandwidth and frequencies necessary when used for blue/green/red connections... On the other hand you can almost always use a blue/green/red cable set in place of red/white/yellow...

JR1982

Aug 31, 2016
Good to hear, if you have 'good quality' red/white/yellow cables they can sometimes work as a fill in for blue/green/red but many of the consumer grade red/white/yellow cables simply can not handle the bandwidth and frequencies necessary when used for blue/green/red connections... On the other hand you can almost always use a blue/green/red cable set in place of red/white/yellow...
This I did not know!
Since my TV connections are red/white/yellow I just assumed the blue/green/red couldn't be used.
I also read everywhere that that cable would only transmit video and you still needed red/white to transmit audio. Bull crap as that one cable does both video and audio for me.