Constant Buffering

Graham G

Sep 24, 2014
Warrington,England
Hi,i'm having constant(most of the time)buffering problems,picture freezing/locking up,with streamed TV & Movies,can anyone give me any ideas where to start with finding the cause?
Cheers,Graham.

Last edited:

lfc599

Banned
Sep 10, 2015
I found when I had those problems clearing the cache and packages and rebooting helped, also a reset of your router helps.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
As discussed in your other thread, you may need to adjust your advancedsettings.xml and then give the video a chance to fill the buffer you set. The size of your buffer will differ with each machine depending on the RAM if your STB. The buffer uses your RAM to store your cached video. The more memory on your device, the bigger the buffer you can set. Also, the video you play will have a lot to do with buffering. 1080P might buffer more than 720P or 480P. Also the hoster you get the video from has a lot to do with buffering. It might be a matter of trying different hosters. Keep in mind your internet connection speed is also part of this as is your conection to the router (hard wired or WiFi).

So, we need to know the specs on your device, the video you are trying to play (HD or SD), the hosters you are trying to get the video from, the speed of your ISP and type of connection.

Even with the info above, it is very possible that we won't be able to help.

Graham G

Sep 24, 2014
Warrington,England
I found when I had those problems clearing the cache and packages and rebooting helped, also a reset of your router helps.
Hi,thanks,to be honest i've pretty much done as you suggest,plus a load of other stuff,i have no idea what to try next,or even what causes buffering/freezing.

Graham G

Sep 24, 2014
Warrington,England
As discussed in your other thread, you may need to adjust your advancedsettings.xml and then give the video a chance to fill the buffer you set. The size of your buffer will differ with each machine depending on the RAM if your STB. The buffer uses your RAM to store your cached video. The more memory on your device, the bigger the buffer you can set. Also, the video you play will have a lot to do with buffering. 1080P might buffer more than 720P or 480P. Also the hoster you get the video from has a lot to do with buffering. It might be a matter of trying different hosters. Keep in mind your internet connection speed is also part of this as is your conection to the router (hard wired or WiFi).

So, we need to know the specs on your device, the video you are trying to play (HD or SD), the hosters you are trying to get the video from, the speed of your ISP and type of connection.

Even with the info above, it is very possible that we won't be able to help.
Thanks,again.
My set up is as follows.
I'm running 15.2 Lisegard(spelling ?)
Device:pipo X7S(windows & Android)i run windows the android won't display on my screen.

X7 and X7S feature the same core hardware. There's an Intel Atom Z3736F quad-core chip clocked at 1.33GHz but able to boost to 2.16GHz, 2GB of DDR3L RAM and 32GB of fast Nand flash storage.
That's not a lot of storage for a Windows PC, but there are plenty of ways to add more: you might plug in an external drive or flash drive, add a microSD card (up to 64GB), or utilise network- or cloud storage.
In terms of connectivity the Pipo X7 and X7S both support Bluetooth 4.0, fast ethernet and 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi. There's an HDMI port at the rear for hooking the device up to a screen, and four USB ports - two at the front that will be useful for a keyboard and mouse (or if you're using Bluetooth peripherals then perhaps a USB flash drive), plus two at the rear. Note that these are of the slower USB 2.0 variety rather than USB 3.0.

I'm based in the UK my ISP is BT
I have Fibre Infinity 1: Internet speed about 38mb Download speed about 10mb.
I have set up a BT Open Reach modem & a fairly old D-Link Router(instead of using the supplied HH5).
I have a VPN on the Pipo,but not the router.
I download in either HD or SD,i try to keep it to 720p(it's all my screen can handle)mostly US TV episodes.

RavRob,i didn't really understand the advanced settings XML,i'll keep at it,i'm not sure what you meant when you said you use 4:)
Hope all this helps.
Cheers,Graham.

Last edited:

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Alright. Your internet speed is good. Shouldn't be a problem that way. With 2 gig ram you could use example 4 also.
Open your notepad and C&P this in it

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>
Save it as advancedsettings.xml
Please be certain that your system does not save another extension to that file. Windows will try to set it with extension txt and could look like this
advancedsettings.xml.txt
This won't work. Be sure the txt ext is removed.
Then place this in %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata
To get there you need to go to Kodi settings and enable "show hidden files and folders". This will enable you to access the folder above. Once your advancedsettings.xml is in place, restart kodi and try a movie. Note as I said before, it will not stop the immediate buffering but if you get the movie started and while it buffers, go get a coffee, when you come back you should have a much bigger grey bar ahead of your video. Start the movie and see if that works better.

NOTE: Most ppl think the advancedsettings.xml will stop the buffering, it does not. It only gives you more room and allows for more cache so when you start the movie, you have more of it cached and it should play to the end without further buffering.

Graham G

Sep 24, 2014
Warrington,England
Hi,RavRob.Sorry can't find this,not sure if it's in the Computer filing system,or in the Kodi Program

Then place this in %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata
To get there you need to go to Kodi settings and enable "show hidden files and folders".

Cheers,Graham.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
To find it, press on the start button and type %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata in there. Your computer will find the path. Or you can navigate to C:\users\your user name\appdata\kodi\userdata Same thing. You will only see appdata if you have enabled "view hidden files and folders".

Last edited:

Graham G

Sep 24, 2014
Warrington,England
Hi,RavRob.Should the correct folder path look like this ?
Graham>AppData>Roaming>Kodi>UserData
If so i have placed the Advanced Settings XML Document(with no extension) in the correct folder & everything will be wonderful:)
Cheers,Graham.

Eldorado

Staff member
May 7, 2012
I would recommend against playing with all of this stuff, increasing your cache will not solve your buffering issues.. it only allows you to store more in cache.. but if the file isn't being downloaded fast enough to allow uninterrupted playing what will this do for you? In the end will do nothing to get you what you want

All of those settings posted above will have very limited effect if any for online streaming, it's most useful for local network files

Read this, we wrote it to try and clear this mess up - Buffering: Causes, Myths and Solutions

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Hi,RavRob.Should the correct folder path look like this ?
Graham>AppData>Roaming>Kodi>UserData
If so i have placed the Advanced Settings XML Document(with no extension) in the correct folder & everything will be wonderful:)
Cheers,Graham.
Yes the path is correct. The file extension should be xml Should be advancedsettings.xml
Look at Eldorado's post above mine. Basically a repeat of what I said. It won't stop the buffering onless you give it time to fill the buffer. I still have some buffer at times even with that advancedsettings.xml

This helps but is not a miracle cure.

Graham G

Sep 24, 2014
Warrington,England
Hi,RavRob.I don't know anything about the technicalities,but i do know that before i added the settings you provided,when i stated play back of a movie etc.the buffering would only go to about 15%,then start to play & after a while (about 35mins)i would start getting problems.
Now with the advanced settings XML,buffering goes to about 65% & i have watched a 2.5 hrs Movie & a 3.5hrs awards ceremony,with no problems:)
I'm still having issues with freezing when playing back a TV series episode,but as suggested in the thread that's another issue.
Also,Eldorado,i was getting the following message,which was described,in the Myths guide you posted,so maybe that ties in with the AS XML,working for me.

It is only useful in the rare event that you see the “Cache Full: Cache filled before reaching required amount for continuous playback” notification.

Thanks for the help.
Graham.

elb888

Dec 6, 2015
Several months ago, I successfully set-up a stick for my friend. But last night, when I tried setting up my stick again, I notice it isn't behaving like it did before. I installed 15.2 from Kodi.tv. My addon fusion, I also let the config wiz run everything.

Did I do everything, right? Every movie I click on so far does not auto start like before, it will pause at the first frame and the buffering bar shows, except it never shows any progress, it's a constant 0%, but it is indeed buffering because you can press play and it'll play. But then eventually it'll pause again to buffer, and you'll need to hit play. Buffering seems to always show 0% though. This is not the experience I had several months ago.

UPDATE... I realize it may not be anything to do with kodi or fusion, but the addon itself. I was using Genesis. Looks like it has really crawled to a halt. Other addons work fine.

Last edited:

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Several months ago, I successfully set-up a stick for my friend. But last night, when I tried setting up my stick again, I notice it isn't behaving like it did before. I installed 15.2 from Kodi.tv. My addon fusion, I also let the config wiz run everything.

Did I do everything, right? Every movie I click on so far does not auto start like before, it will pause at the first frame and the buffering bar shows, except it never shows any progress, it's a constant 0%, but it is indeed buffering because you can press play and it'll play. But then eventually it'll pause again to buffer, and you'll need to hit play. Buffering seems to always show 0% though. This is not the experience I had several months ago.

UPDATE... I realize it may not be anything to do with kodi or fusion, but the addon itself. I was using Genesis. Looks like it has really crawled to a halt. Other addons work fine.
Yes, Genesis is experiencing some issues for some members. Try SA*TS or The Ro**l We. They work great.

Graham G

Sep 24, 2014
Warrington,England
Hi,this is as an add on to my thread(or am i better starting a new thread?
What determines the buffering speed? & if for example a HD film of approx of 2.5 hrs.is selected,what would be a typical buffering time be?(if there is such a thing):)
Cheers,Graham.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
What determines the buffering speed? & if for example a HD film of approx of 2.5 hrs.is selected,what would be a typical buffering time be?(if there is such a thing):)
Cheers,Graham.
No such thing. Buffering can be due to many things. I have even had buffering on a normally good hoster depending on the day of the week. Maybe the hoster was busier or it had a server down. Buffering can be due to which server you connect to, which route your router will take to get to that server. How many ppl are connected at that particular time. There are some hosters that are normally better than others but that doesn't guarantee no buffering.

There are just no rules about buffering.

Eldorado

Staff member
May 7, 2012
Cheers,Graham.
Not really sure what exactly you are asking

But, Kodi does a little calculation when you start playing a video (this is assumed based on many hours of observation, and a bit of common logic).. it takes the total time of the video and divides it by the file size which lets it determine how fast it must download to be able to watch it uninterrupted

If it's not downloading fast enough, it will buffer enough of the file until it can be played without having to stop to buffer again.. some more math being done here to figure that out.. if the download speed fluctuates then that throws a wrench into the whole thing which could lead to sporadic buffering

Everything RavRob said is correct as well, if you want to avoid it as much as possible then read the link I posted earlier and give Real-Debrid a try for a couple days and see how it works for you

Graham G

Sep 24, 2014
Warrington,England
No such thing. Buffering can be due to many things. I have even had buffering on a normally good hoster depending on the day of the week. Maybe the hoster was busier or it had a server down. Buffering can be due to which server you connect to, which route your router will take to get to that server. How many ppl are connected at that particular time. There are some hosters that are normally better than others but that doesn't guarantee no buffering.

There are just no rules about buffering.
Thanks,again RavRob.

Not really sure what exactly you are asking

But, Kodi does a little calculation when you start playing a video (this is assumed based on many hours of observation, and a bit of common logic).. it takes the total time of the video and divides it by the file size which lets it determine how fast it must download to be able to watch it uninterrupted

If it's not downloading fast enough, it will buffer enough of the file until it can be played without having to stop to buffer again.. some more math being done here to figure that out.. if the download speed fluctuates then that throws a wrench into the whole thing which could lead to sporadic buffering

Everything RavRob said is correct as well, if you want to avoid it as much as possible then read the link I posted earlier and give Real-Debrid a try for a couple days and see how it works for you

Thanks,Eldorado.My question is/was "what is Buffering" & "what program/device controls it",i think i understand now that the Kodi program is responsible for the buffering,to hold up playback until content can be viewed without interuption,except it dosn't seem to be working too well for me at the moment:),i thought it may have been My router(which is really old)or maybe the PiPo,it turns out it's Kodi(i think).

Eldorado,i had read through your link about buffering & had read the Real-Debrid section,but to be blunt,i don't really understand it or what it does,it also says i if i use a VPN(i do)i would need special permission before i could use it.
I'll have to to read it some more to see if i can get a grasp of it.
Cheers,Graham.

Last edited: