Copying setup to multiple Rpi2 boxes

nixter

Jun 9, 2015
Super newb question alert!

I have 3 Rpi 2's. Once I get one box running with openelec, kodi, tvaddons, can I simply copy the sd card data to the other SD cards and then pop those in the remaining boxes? Or does the install process write to the Rpi2 hardware and thus requires setting up on each individual box?

Thanks!

bromerzz

Nov 9, 2012
Cyprus
Just copy/clone the sd card you have setup your way and it will work as an exact replica on the other pi2's. Remember all passwords will also go across, so be careful if you pass a copy on to someone else, unless you clear the user data folder.
Easy to check by just moving the current card you use into one of the other pi's.
I do that all the time.

steveuk23

Aug 9, 2015
Yeah same as bromerzz said if you are on windows I recommend win32diskmanager and select read on the card you want to copy and then write on the new one.
Remember though both cards need to be same size in GB.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
The above works if you want to use the same size cards.

If not create a backup (using the built in openelec backup tool) on the pi, your using.

Stick a USB stick in pi, open the filemanger and copy the /storage/backup folder onto the USB Stick.

Burn a fresh brand new copy of openelec to your second card. Once booted stick in the USB Stick into the pi. And transfer the Backup folder from the USB Stick to the /storage folder on your pi.

Goto openelec settings and restore backup.

This method is pretty much universal throughout openelec.